What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeh wont be wasting time with the post, I will be shipping some items by sea container so a couple cases will go along for the ride.

Group Order!!!

Bought a bottle of Bulliet the other day. Sorta felt I should as I been having it in a lock of cocktails lately as they been doing a series of events in Sydney. I actually don't mind it as a strong mixer. The type where there is more bourbon than coke. Makes me a little intrigued about the 10 year old.

Also, anyone have had a look at the gift packs that Dan's and others are doing? So far, I reckon I like the Makers Mark with the two glasses.

Anyone know what's happened to Hightower? His email account has been shut down and doesn't seem to be visiting the boards.

Scott is still around. He moved house a couple of months ago and changed ISP's. I'll let him know you tried to reach him.

Scott is still around. He moved house a couple of months ago and changed ISP's. I'll let him know you tried to reach him.

Thanks for that.

Dans have the Jim Beam signature 12 on the shelves for $73 and ready for anyone thats interested. I passed, too many good bourbons at that price already, plus JB in general is not something I go for.

Another release for those searching for a christmas present, as of next saturday aldi will release a 30yr blended scotch for $99!! Meant to be pretty good too, I will grab a bottle or two for myself.

Speaking of Aldi, has anyone tried their Bourbon? Or know any info on it? The name escapes me at the moment.

Yeap. That would be the one. Its bottles like those that always make me wonder if its worth a stab or not. Thanks for the headsup!

Dans have the Jim Beam signature 12 on the shelves for $73 and ready for anyone thats interested. I passed, too many good bourbons at that price already, plus JB in general is not something I go for.

Another release for those searching for a christmas present, as of next saturday aldi will release a 30yr blended scotch for $99!! Meant to be pretty good too, I will grab a bottle or two for myself.

Bought a heap of Paulaner Oktoberfest at Aldi this year. $4 a 500ml bottle, great price. Wonder what whiskey was sourced for that blend.

If you are thinking of Blue Barrel then dont waste your money, it is seriously nasty stuff.

Ever try that 'Townhouse' stuff Safeway used to carry up until late 90s? It was a crime against alcohol.

Would be great to know but I suspect the distiller would like to keep it secret, best I can find is its highlands, likely sherried.

Never tried townhouse, even in my "yoof" I didnt go cheaper than JB white, actually I was probably less forgiving then than I am now.

Always curious about the bottom bottom shelve, rocking angel, woodstock, nelson county? Didnt jim murray once praise cougar?!

I dont actually mind woodstock. If I am going to a party that is usually first choice for buying pre mixed. For some reason I can only do a few JB cola cans before the cola starts to coat my throat in a pretty unpleasant way and the woodstock doesn't do that.

I didn't mind Woodstock al long time ago, but really guys... Woodstock on this forum shouldn't be spoken of! There are still a lot of ok bourbons that are cheap that are better than that. Cougar is one example, another is old Virginia. On another note, I bought the new 120 KC SB, and the difference in Oak is unbelievable! I much prefer the SmlB 100 proof KC. Even thought they are aged the same, the colour and taste profile difference in astronomical. Maybe I just got a big oak bottle, but I think the consistency of the smlB is a lot more to my liking.

Hey! I just say if I am going to a party, thats what I will go with. Its cheap, its easy and if I forget it at the end of the night, I dont really care :P

Did you order the KC through Dans?

Hey! I just say if I am going to a party, thats what I will go with. Its cheap, its easy and if I forget it at the end of the night, I dont really care :P

Did you order the KC through Dans?

All good mate, to each their own. Yeah the KC through Dans. I haven't tried it with water yet, or a mixer for that matter, but its certainly a ballsy "in your face" pour. Might have to revisit soon. The smlB is brilliant though, might be the lower proof? Anyone else had a go at these two yet?

Sounds better than a woody! Hah just kidding! I agree with vietish, why spend more, all premixes are kinda dodgy, premixes are a cocktail as much as a big mac is a hamburger, close but wrong, so bad but also at that right moment so good!

No I havent bought any KC yet, on the to do list for christmas when I have a few weeks spare, looking very forward to it now!

Came home from vacation with a few interesting things to try: Larceny, Ole Smokey Apple Pie Moonshine, Wild Turkey Spiced, Crown Royal Special Reserve and a half bottle of Knob Creek. Oh, and some very cheap Riedel glasses to enjoy them in....

Sounds better than a woody! Hah just kidding! I agree with vietish, why spend more, all premixes are kinda dodgy, premixes are a cocktail as much as a big mac is a hamburger, close but wrong, so bad but also at that right moment so good!

No I havent bought any KC yet, on the to do list for christmas when I have a few weeks spare, looking very forward to it now!

Why spend more?.... cause its better!

Yeah, truth be told I don't hold much hope for it being anything remarkable.... more something of a novelty. A few years ago the Three Sheets Kentucky episode sparked my interest in Apple Pie flavoured whiskey, and this is the first chance I've had to sample it. I plan on opening it with Scott (Hightower) sometime in the new year so will post my impressions then.

First time in a while - Old Crow premixed 6% cans. Used to buy Old Crow by the bottle quite a bit back in the mid 90s, together with Real McCoy was my cheap go to buy. Was offered a couple of ice cold Beam White premixed cans at a bbq today, went down well. Be interested to know what the difference between Old Crow and Beam White actually is these days.

They use the same base whisky so other than age (Crow is three years, Jacob one) and color there shouldn't be much.

Edited by squire

Flavored bulk stuff from that lil' 'ole distillery in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

Ole Smokey has is a pretty sizeable tourist stop in Gatlinburg, TN. They have a working distillery there, but only the accountants know if there's any bulk product in the jars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.