What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any Aussies tried the new Jim Beam Signature or Distillers Masterpiece yet? They're not cheap ($75 and $250 respectively), but are definately unique imo.

A real unique selection tonight thanks to a fellow member (a huge thanks!)... started with some WT Forgiven, then WT RR Barrel Proof 10yo, then some Stagg Jnr, and finished with a Beam Honey Mule. A great afternoon sampling for sure :)

A real unique selection tonight thanks to a fellow member (a huge thanks!)... started with some WT Forgiven, then WT RR Barrel Proof 10yo, then some Stagg Jnr, and finished with a Beam Honey Mule. A great afternoon sampling for sure :)

Any Aussies tried the new Jim Beam Signature or Distillers Masterpiece yet? They're not cheap ($75 and $250 respectively), but are definately unique imo.

Would like to try the 12 yr beam but dont want to buy a bottle, incidently the same goes for the WT forgiven, im by no means a tight arse but I dont imagine either would be good value, not saying I think they will be bad, just a principle thing, on the surface they seem like cash grabs and Im easily offended.

Anyone having trouble getting EC12? My local has been out for almost a month, almost worried.

I am pretty much in the same mindset with the 12 yr and the WT. Interested enough to try it, not to fork our cash, especially when there are a fair few bottles out there I still want to buy that I know I will like.

I haven't seen a shortage, but then again I really haven't been looking. Will have to check a few places out on the weekend. I was offered a EC20 for $260 yesterday though, which was a bit steep for my wallet. Went to buy a bottle of ORVW 10/107 but the guy had already sold it offered me the EC20 instead. Told him thanks, but no thanks. He reckons he can get a few more bottle of ORVW in next week. So we shall see if he not blowing smoke up my ass.

Would like to try the 12 yr beam but dont want to buy a bottle, incidently the same goes for the WT forgiven, im by no means a tight arse but I dont imagine either would be good value, not saying I think they will be bad, just a principle thing, on the surface they seem like cash grabs and Im easily offended.

Anyone having trouble getting EC12? My local has been out for almost a month, almost worried.

Couple of stores near me carry it though one is out. Suggest you order up on Dans. My cheap go to (EW Black) just left overnight, so you never know.

I am pretty much in the same mindset with the 12 yr and the WT. Interested enough to try it, not to fork our cash, especially when there are a fair few bottles out there I still want to buy that I know I will like.

I haven't seen a shortage, but then again I really haven't been looking. Will have to check a few places out on the weekend. I was offered a EC20 for $260 yesterday though, which was a bit steep for my wallet. Went to buy a bottle of ORVW 10/107 but the guy had already sold it offered me the EC20 instead. Told him thanks, but no thanks. He reckons he can get a few more bottle of ORVW in next week. So we shall see if he not blowing smoke up my ass.

Won't go near EC20. EC18 was good value for Australia at $130, not sure how the extra two years = double the price. Can't recall what I paid for ORVW (maybe $130 - $140?) but it doesn't excite me that much.

Good idea, will stock up on a few, after a rocky couple of years it has become one of my go too bourbons, age vs proof vs price is just right for me, would hate to see it go.

My last bottle of ORVW was $120, I can leave it at that price, if it was half that I would probably buy it, mixes VERY well in cocktails, straight up its not my thing.

Ideally I wouldn't pay more than that either. But its a gift for the girlfriends dad who is as subtle as a sledgehammer when dropping hints for his birthday. Tried to sway him off it too something different and something a little cheaper, but that Pappy hype spreads far and wide. I have only about 3 bottles in my head that I would pay more than about $150 for and use for my own personal consumption and that is not one of them.

I also didnt realize till I was looking on here today, the store I was in had a pretty wide range of High West bottles, which I only glimpsed quickly. Even if the guy dont come through with the ORVW, I think I shall go look at that more closely.

The only shop in Adelaide that has ORVW is charging $195, which (I don't think I need to say it) is outrageous! The stock has been there for at least 8mnths or so, so might come down, but this mob sticks to its guns. Id love to get a bottle at a cheaper rate if anyone can help. Its one of those bourbons that is a must try. BTW still drinking Bulliet Rye and GD12, great value and exceptional pours! All the best

Hi, new to the group. I am Brendan and I live in Sydney. Just was letting the group know that according to my local store BWS are going to stop selling Blanton's and had the yellow label original (46.5%) on special at $46.50 quiet a bargain. By the way I don't work for BWS.

Currently open on my bar is:

Bulleit 10 year old (like it a lot)

Bulleit 40%

Blanton's Green label (always liked ever Blanton's bottle I have had)

Blanton's Yellow label

Buffalo Trace 40% ( still like it but liked the 45% better)

Makers 46 (second bottle, the first I didn't like so much but the second is a lot better)

Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002 (Glad I got it for $48 dollars at First Choice as the Coles owned liquor company is no longer importing it, the new importer must have increased the price because I saw it at an independent store for $92)

Recently finished Bulleit Rye (liked it a lot)

I usually one or two pours over a small amount of ice 3-4 times a week.

Open on my bar ATM is: ETL, WLWQ11, PHC Blend of Mashbills, WT 101, WT Forgiven, WTR 101 and 81, GD8 and 12, WTRB, WTSpiced, EWSB11 and 12, Kentucky Vintage, JD (all of them incl GL),4RSmlB, AA 80pf, REittenhouse BIB 354, Templeton Rye, HW DR, HW RendR, Baby Saz, JWDant,BT, Bulliet, Bulliet Rye, Bernheim Wheat, CEHTSmlB, KC 100 and 120. I think that's it !!!

Recently finished Bulleit Rye (liked it a lot)

I am having a sip of this one tonight. It is growing on me actually. As my first bottle of 'Rye' I am now curious to give some others a try.

I am having a sip of this one tonight. It is growing on me actually. As my first bottle of 'Rye' I am now curious to give some others a try.

I like this one also, Baby Saz is by far my favourite Rye, but I also enjoy the WTR81, which is easy and cheap to get. I don't think a lot of others agree however! anyone have any thoughts on the 81 Rye?

The Sazerac is actually high on my hitlist. The trouble is that so are about a dozen others :lol:.

Joining this forum has not helped :rolleyes:

I like this one also, Baby Saz is by far my favourite Rye, but I also enjoy the WTR81, which is easy and cheap to get. I don't think a lot of others agree however! anyone have any thoughts on the 81 Rye?

Still got one bottle of the 101, so not until that's gone. Tonight having Cabin Still and coke. I usually like Heaven Hill but this bottle is a struggle hence the coke.

The Sazerac is actually high on my hitlist. The trouble is that so are about a dozen others :lol:.

Joining this forum has not helped :rolleyes:

Hitlist can be dangerous and expensive here in Australia :grin:

Four Roses Small Batch or Four Roses Single Barrel are next on my list, I have never tried them and have never seen them in the stores in my part of Sydney.

The ultimate hitlist including Bithday Bourbon, Van Winkles, BTAC etc will have to wait for a long while, I have seen a few in some stores but they are well outside my current budget.

I have tired the WTR81 and while I dont mind it I do prefer the 101. Since I have 4 bottles left of the 101, I think it will do me for a little while. I am not the biggest rye drinker and I mainly use it for cocktails where the extra proof does tend to shine.

Four Roses Small Batch or Four Roses Single Barrel are next on my list, I have never tried them and have never seen them in the stores in my part of Sydney.

If you haven't already, have a look at www.nicks.com.au They usually have some Four Roses in stock, and will ship for free if you order is over (I think) $250.

U bought my 4rsmlb off ebay for 80, its one of my favourites. Well packed and free shipping!

If you haven't already, have a look at www.nicks.com.au They usually have some Four Roses in stock, and will ship for free if you order is over (I think) $250.

Thanks for the link. I might have to get together with some mates and do a bit of a group buy .

One independent store owner I spoke to recently (this store as the largest bourbon range I have seen anywhere in Sydney) said something about four roses going to be launched widely in Australia in the near future, has any one else heard the same?

Edited by Sydney BJW

First I've heard of it, but that doesn't suprise me. Four Roses and Barton are the last (major) distilleries not to have a prescence here. I figure they'd be turning up at some point.... The question with Four Roses though, is is it coming out of the US by a recognised distributor, or is some small start up bringing it in via the UK...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.