What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks hn4, unfortunately we get no OGD here at all, any sizes. If you'd like to help I'm sure there would be a few very grateful Aussie SBers!

+1,000,000

Mutually benefical trading? Unfortunately theres not much for us to offer. Vegemite? Kangaroo jerky?

Nicks often have some version(s) of OGD in stock. Worth checking out if you are really keen to get a bottle.

Havent seen it in a while, acland cellars had some 80proof recently, not sure if they still have it.

Thanks hn4, unfortunately we get no OGD here at all, any sizes. If you'd like to help I'm sure there would be a few very grateful Aussie SBers!

I wish I could help. From my understanding of the law, I am not allowed to ship alcoholic beverages where I live. Is shipping from the UK an option for you guys? Thewhiskyexchange seems to have the 86 proof.

I've seen it round the traps at independent stores - not the usual chains owned by Coles and Woollies. In fact, that's where my current bottle came from. Unfortunately that store closed down, so it's not good to anyone now. Maybe PM Neil (Lonemango) to see if he can still source it from his new store. You'd have to get it shipped from Brisbane, but that's got to be cheaper than shipping from OS.

Revisiting the old virginia 12 and although not as bad as i initially found it, the funk has mellowed a little, still not something I will be rushing to grab again.

On the flipside though my current bottle of blantons private is no where as enjoyable as the last, even in a balloon there is no intensity and is undeniably thin an flat, and this is something I usually love.

Not all doom and gloom though, picked up a couple more dusty WTRBs for the bunker today.

Finally had a chace to get Knob Creek SmlB 100 pf 9yo bourbon. I think its wonderful, very sweet, maybe honey notes, full and strong yet smooth and very easy to drink. Id like to follow Squires advice and boycott Beam, but I don't think I can anymore with this ripper on the shelves. I think its on par with 4R SmlB as my go too pours for a while. I highly recommend it. Thanks Cam for getting me intrigued.

Dans website have listed dickel #8 and #12 as new items, I know what I will be drinking this weekend!

Ah good. Been sitting on the last 50ml or so of a 1 litre bottle of the 12 for a while. Nice drop.

Got the #12 and its not bad, I get a bit of a JB funkyness from it? good value.

It is interesting that they brought both the 8 and 12 out and with only $5 difference between them.

See how they sell and drop one?

At my local most of the #8 was gone already whilst there was 3 times the #12 left, colour of the label? price? proof?

Got the #12 and its not bad, I get a bit of a JB funkyness from it? good value.

It is interesting that they brought both the 8 and 12 out and with only $5 difference between them.

See how they sell and drop one?

At my local most of the #8 was gone already whilst there was 3 times the #12 left, colour of the label? price? proof?

Who knows. Will grab a 12 shortly. Sure beats what Nicks is charging.

Dickel is distinct from Beam using a different mashbill, yeast, warehousing and of course the Tennessee (Lincoln County process) method of filtering the new make whisky through a 10-12 foot vat of charcoal prior to aging. The closest brand Dickel would compare to is that other Tennessee whisky Jack Daniels.

Traditionally the differences between Dickel 8 & 12 have been age and proof with the 12 having a bit more of each. I don't know if that still holds true as I haven't had any 8 in ages.

Dickel is distinct from Beam using a different mashbill, yeast, warehousing and of course the Tennessee (Lincoln County process) method of filtering the new make whisky through a 10-12 foot vat of charcoal prior to aging. The closest brand Dickel would compare to is that other Tennessee whisky Jack Daniels.

Traditionally the differences between Dickel 8 & 12 have been age and proof with the 12 having a bit more of each. I don't know if that still holds true as I haven't had any 8 in ages.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info, I am aware that dickel is not a JB product, my thoughts are on how different #12 is to JD to my palate. I was expecting JD character based on the same reasons you listed, and instead came upon a nutty funkyness that I can only describe as JB black like. Not sure what to think, dont tend to have any JD lying around for a side by side.

$140! No wonder you held onto the last 50ml! Nicks price for the #8 is actually better, 1000ml for the same price. But yeh dont get me started on the cost squire, I will hopefully be over next year for whiskey fest and will be shipping a fair bit back home.

Dickel doesn't taste like Jack, a lot of people make that assumption, and the differences are obvious when you compare the two. Dickel uses a single strain of yeast (Jack uses multiple strains) that makes a distinct note in it's taste profile. That's not going to change, it is in fact the same yeast they've used since back in the days George owned the place.

Like the peat in an Island Scotch it's a like or dislike flavor.

Ive been a Jack fan for years, but the Dickel 12 is a much tastier product IMHO. the 12 is a 90pf compared to JD and D8 at 80pf. Ive had an 8 for about 6 months nursing it, got the 12 yesterday, and im loovin every minute of it! Between D12, KC, 4RSmB, Im one happy camper!

You guys could pay for a vacation with your savings by just flying here.

That's why I'm on vacation in Hawaii with the family for the third year in a row :)

But yeh dont get me started on the cost squire, I will hopefully be over next year for whiskey fest and will be shipping a fair bit back home.

Good luck with that! :) It's my experience that shipping (from KY) plus Aussie import taxes all but negate any savings over Nicks prices. You might save $5 - $10 a bottle on average on their prices. Also, don't forget that US postal won't ship alcohol, so you've got to chase down a freight company that will.... And that can cost around $70 per bottle due to weight.

Again (in my experience) it saves a lot more by packing it well in your suitcase (so saving on shipping) and wearing the customs charges when you land back in Australia...

Good luck with that! :) It's my experience that shipping (from KY) plus Aussie import taxes all but negate any savings over Nicks prices. You might save $5 - $10 a bottle on average on their prices. Also, don't forget that US postal won't ship alcohol, so you've got to chase down a freight company that will.... And that can cost around $70 per bottle due to weight.

Again (in my experience) it saves a lot more by packing it well in your suitcase (so saving on shipping) and wearing the customs charges when you land back in Australia...

Yeh wont be wasting time with the post, I will be shipping some items by sea container so a couple cases will go along for the ride.

Yeh wont be wasting time with the post, I will be shipping some items by sea container so a couple cases will go along for the ride.

Haha. Love the idea.

Was $140 from memory.

.........:bigeyes:.........$140 US dollars?!?! wow! it is $21 here!

if you're gonna come stateside and pack up a few Dickel 12's to ship back, do yourself a favor and grab a few bottles of the 9 or 14 year Dickel hand selected barrels, at 103 and 106 proof, respectively. D12 is great, but the 9 year is just awesome. I havent had the 14 year, but i can imagine it is great as well. plus, if youre used to dropping $140 for anything, the $45 and $65 for the 9 and 14 year will seem like pennies in comparison.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

Been enjoying some Early Times an Coke. Not high end, but at $7 for a 375ml bottle here at our hotel, it's the perfect mixer IMO.

Oh, and so far in HI I've picked up some 375 Knob Creek, 375 Crown Royal Reserve, Ole Smokey apple pie Moonshine and a 1 litre Larceny. Still got allowance for 1.75 litres :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.