Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll never have any pappy, but I think it may be unfair to pin that blame on BT. It's not like they are retailing it for $500+.......but if I were them, Id find the retailers that were asking those prices and make sure they were off the allocation list next year.

Agreed, black list them..If they want to carry it let them go get price Gouched by another and then try to sell it..

When you ask your boss for a raise, don't you ask for a big one? And don't you think you deserve it? Why should a retailer pricing his merchandise be any different? And since you know Van Winkle isn't worth that kind of money, don't you already have this thing licked?

When you ask your boss for a raise, don't you ask for a big one? And don't you think you deserve it? Why should a retailer pricing his merchandise be any different? And since you know Van Winkle isn't worth that kind of money, don't you already have this thing licked?

marking something up, hell, even twice your normal profit margin, would be acceptable.........putting a $500-2000 tag on a bottle you probably paid $100 for.....nah.

for your last question.......yes, yes I do. I dont even feel like I am missing out on anything.

So if a prospective employer wanted you so badly, they offered to triple or quadruple your salary, you'd say no, right?

So if a prospective employer wanted you so badly, they offered to triple or quadruple your salary, you'd say no, right?

or if someone offered you a, say, pappy 23 at retail, youd tell them they should at least take $2000 from your wallet.....that you insist?

your comparing a bottle of alcahol with the services a human being can do? and why would he say no, that job is how he supports his family and himself..we have no problem someone making profit, its how the world works..but theres a difference in making a profit and taking advantage of the market..sure it only works if we give in and pay what they are asking but reason they are asking if cause people are willing to..look at ETL bottles, those are even harder to find then any version of pappy, in the last 6 months walking in liquor stores ive seen 8 different bottles of pappy and when i ask for ETL they look at me like were the hell you been man, but so why are bottles of ETL no commanding these insane prices that pappy is? because people have built up pappy to be this liquid that if you drink you will live forever and retailers are praying on that stigma of pappy..lol ok im done ranting..lol if you folks couldnt tell i despise pappy and van winkle products

your comparing a bottle of alcahol with the services a human being can do? and why would he say no, that job is how he supports his family and himself..we have no problem someone making profit, its how the world works..but theres a difference in making a profit and taking advantage of the market..sure it only works if we give in and pay what they are asking but reason they are asking if cause people are willing to..look at ETL bottles, those are even harder to find then any version of pappy, in the last 6 months walking in liquor stores ive seen 8 different bottles of pappy and when i ask for ETL they look at me like were the hell you been man, but so why are bottles of ETL no commanding these insane prices that pappy is? because people have built up pappy to be this liquid that if you drink you will live forever and retailers are praying on that stigma of pappy..lol ok im done ranting..lol if you folks couldnt tell i despise pappy and van winkle products

Why despise pappy and Vanwinkle products? The ones I've had have been delicious at least. Transcendent at best (VWFRR). Difficult to find and the aftermarket crap is annoying but none of that is a reflection on the ownership.

The products are fine and the people who produce them are not the ones exploiting the profits.

I find this entire excessive profits discussion exhausting.

Look - if flippers are getting $1000, then retailers should charge $1000. End of story. Look what people in Holland were paying for tulip bulbs in 1637 and look what they pay for them now.

The flowers are still pretty. That hasn't changed.

Fashions come and go but the Bourbon barrels just keep rolling along. I was here before the boom and will still be around to pick up bargains after the tide recedes..

Fashions come and go but the Bourbon barrels just keep rolling along. I was here before the boom and will still be around to pick up bargains after the tide recedes..

^^^^^^^^^exactly!^^^^^^^^^

I'll never have any pappy, but I think it may be unfair to pin that blame on BT. It's not like they are retailing it for $500+.......but if I were them, Id find the retailers that were asking those prices and make sure they were off the allocation list next year.
Agreed, black list them..If they want to carry it let them go get price Gouched by another and then try to sell it..

Three tier system means that Sazerac doesn't get to say which retailers get any.

Three tier system means that Sazerac doesn't get to say which retailers get any.

point taken.....didnt think about it from that end.

I'm just trying to illustrate why no one has any right to be offended by the prices a business charges. You have the right to not do business with them, but not to tell them how to run their business. Mostly that's for your own good. Why work up a sweat about something that is none of your business?

I reserve the right to be offended by anything I find offensive.

I'm Offended by that actually.

• 5 weeks later...

I just noticed that total Wine (Columbia, SC) has 1.75 bottles of WSR in but the price has jumped from 32.99 to 46.99. They said it reflects the MSRP increase. Hmmmm.

It's always somebody else's fault isn't it. Just once I'd like to hear a made up a story so ridiculous it's believable.

I saw OWA on the shelf for the first time since last fall. The price had increased to $27.99 which I thought was really high. The store usually has fair prices so I believe the price increase is more of a pass on of a general price increase. To be honest, I wouldn't pay $27.99 for the current iteration of OWA which I find to be average at best. However, because it is an element of the SB Blend and they only had three bottles, I bought one. If I didn't have some WL12 in the bunker, I wouldn't be a buyer. Once I deplete my current bunker of WL12 and can no longer buy it because it is allocated, I won't buy any more OWA.

If I see everyone else follow suit, then I believe it. I have seen no shortage of WSR at all. Unlike OWA or W12, I could always buy as much WSR as I wanted (that is If I wanted to).

If I see everyone else follow suit, then I believe it. I have seen no shortage of WSR at all. Unlike OWA or W12, I could always buy as much WSR as I wanted (that is If I wanted to).

Every time I see a Weller shaped bottle (always on the bottom shelf), I get a little excited until I see it is WSR. :shocked:

I saw OWA on the shelf for the first time since last fall. The price had increased to $27.99 which I thought was really high.

saw some yesterday for $30. Im not a buyer at any price, but thought that was pretty high

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.