Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know there is a consensus that OWA has declined a little in taste and quality, especially since the age statement was removed. However, I still like it, especially as a component of the SB Blend. Those who are finding new batches, are you noticing any changes in the taste or quality? I suspect the next time I see it the price will be higher.

TPS got in a store selection on Wednesday. I was there yesterday and they had about 50 bottles left.

TPS got in a store selection on Wednesday. I was there yesterday and they had about 50 bottles left.

I ordered some online at 2:30pm yesterday. By 3 o'clock, it was showing sold out. What time were you there Chris?

I was there around 2PM. It seemed to be moving pretty fast. Staff was really talking it up to the customers.

I was there around 2PM. It seemed to be moving pretty fast. Staff was really talking it up to the customers.

I'm pretty sure that the last 2 single barrel bourbon they got were the OWA and the McKenna. I was told they sold out so fast that staff was amazed and flabergasted

I'm pretty sure that the last 2 single barrel bourbon they got were the OWA and the McKenna. I was told they sold out so fast that staff was amazed and flabergasted

It was certainly the busiest I've ever seen it.

It didn't even last three days on the shelf thanks to the single barrel distinction and the age statement on the sticker. I bought three and wish I had grabbed a couple more. Their current private barrel offerings are Angels Envy, 1792, and Knob I think. Sold out of the private barrel of Old Forrestor recently.

Since I never tryed the older stock I guess I have nothing to compare it to when I cracked it open later this year, for the he'll of it I picked up 3 bottles, I believe binnys was asking $18 a bottle not sure if I over paid or if that's avg

I pay around $19 per 750ml in Md or WDC (whichever has it when I want it).

Since I never tryed the older stock I guess I have nothing to compare it to when I cracked it open later this year, for the he'll of it I picked up 3 bottles, I believe binnys was asking $18 a bottle not sure if I over paid or if that's avg

Nope, great price. Last time I saw it in Indy it was around $23.

Standard price in Weller Country is $25 for OWA. W12 is $22 and WSR is ~$18.

What shocks me that it so available all of the time in Weller country.

If I want any Weller other than SR, it involves a leisurely 2 hour drive down I 65, and a nice view of the Ohio River from high atop a bridge. Or I can raid my bunker. :deadhorse:

We got a whole private barrel on Wednesday and sold through 220 bottles in 2 days.

Antique is more than 12? That shocks me.

I don't think I have seen OWA for less than W12 in the past 4 years. Just recently a few bottles arrived at a local store and the OWA was $26 while the W12 was $23. That is pretty typical.

post-8493-14489820892118_thumb.jpg

I don't think I have seen OWA for less than W12 in the past 4 years. Just recently a few bottles arrived at a local store and the OWA was $26 while the W12 was $23. That is pretty typical.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18452[/ATTACH]

man thats such a beautiful picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18452[/ATTACH]

You chumps see that Weller SR price? $11.99

I know it's a rip off. Shit was 9.99 for the longest time. :laugh:

You chumps see that Weller SR price? $11.99

I know it's a rip off. Shit was 9.99 for the longest time. :laugh:

:lol: And I was leaving it on the shelf at $10 too! No chance in hell it comes home at more than that!

And the song is heard throughout the land, we don't have Pappy in stock but Weller comes from the same source.

Edited by squire

So if enough word spreads weller may just be pappy will weller become endangered species has well and command 10 to 20 times it's suggested price? Going from $10 to $15 to $100 to $200? Would not surprise me..I'm stocking up on all weller..lol

So if enough word spreads weller may just be pappy will weller become endangered species has well and command 10 to 20 times it's suggested price? Going from $10 to $15 to $100 to $200? Would not surprise me..I'm stocking up on all weller..lol

It's already happened in some markets where Weller 12 is on allocation, it sells out quick when it arrives - at some places with a 1 bottle per customer limit, and worse of all, I've seen some places online selling it for $45.

I believe you, I was looking online to buy some and I found a place that has it in stock for $59.95 BS in my opinion..I understand supply versus demand but at 3 times the price? That's Gouching the consumer...I always said and many will disagree, pappy and van winkle products is everything that's wrong about enjoying bourbon and have done more bad then good to the industry

As a couple of other threads re: flipping/scarcity/etc., have reflected, with $55, one can get 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) bottles of some other mighty fine bourbon, rye, or wheated.

That's how I think about it, had the chance some months ago to buy a 12y pappy lot and a van winkle for $450 and I thought to he'll with that when I considered how many bottles of really good bourbon I can buy with $450, so I kept the cash in my bourbon/cigar fund and never regretted it..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.