Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed that caskers.com is selling OWA today (at their typical steep markup), so there must be a new supply going around.

Saw OWA for the first time in a while locally, but not short on it (yet) so left it alone.

Part of the problem is that brands on allocation are allocated in part according to historic sales, and Weller has always been a regional brand. Texas, for example, where Weller has always sold very well, gets a lot of the Weller that's available. Now, more people are becoming aware of Weller as the Van Winkle alternative, so people are trying to find it in markets where Weller was not historically sold. Retailers who have customers asking for it can't get it from distributors because the small allocation goes so fast.

Part of the problem is that brands on allocation are allocated in part according to historic sales, and Weller has always been a regional brand. Texas, for example, where Weller has always sold very well, gets a lot of the Weller that's available. Now, more people are becoming aware of Weller as the Van Winkle alternative, so people are trying to find it in markets where Weller was not historically sold. Retailers who have customers asking for it can't get it from distributors because the small allocation goes so fast.

Yep, you can get Weller everywhere here and by the case. On the other hand ETL is not easy to find even when there isn't a shortage. I can only think of 5 or 6 stores that carry it out of 100+ that I've been to around here.

Yeah, visited a store today and found they had fully restocked the shelf on OWA 750s and 1.75s.

However, when I called another one of their locations, their Bourbon Guy "Educated" me that they would not be getting any more ETL because he had passed away and could no longer pick barrels, and the product was discontinued. When I mentioned the commemorative release, he had no idea what i was talking about. (To his credit, he did not pretend to, either).

Saw Weller Antique 1.75s for $51 and change. Had to pass as the budget is a little tight right now.

I consider this the Bourbon Guy school. I don't need accreditation. I learn something everyday and it doesn't cost me anything.

Ooh, I wouldn't say that, hanging around here can lead to costly spending habits.

Ooh, I wouldn't say that, hanging around here can lead to costly spending habits.

:lol: So true!!!!!

Can't deny that!!!

My wife just rolls her eyes when I am on this site. She thinks it give me ideas.

Hanging in here, costly...ya think? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've had wives and girlfriends cheaper than this place. :shocked::shocked:

I've had wives and girlfriends cheaper than this place. :shocked::shocked:

The old "buy her a $10 dinner and a $5 glass of wine, visit the liquor store and drop an easy $100 on a bottle or 2 or 3...". Atta boy.

you gotta draw a line somewhere, or it can be an expensive hobby

We recently saw a distribution of Weller products out here, so maybe wider distribution is part of the problem, too. I didn't manage to snag any of the 6 bottles of W12, but did get one OWA. WSR is still on the shelf ($22).

I was in Louisville the other day. I only looked in one place, but found two OWA 750mls. I opened one as soon as I got home. It was pretty good. Either BT got the quality thing figured out, or I found some old stock. I haven't seen an OWA or W12 in Indiana for a long time.

Woohoo! NWJA has been restocked with OWA! Now if they can just move a couple of those W12 bottles so prevalent in Atl all will be right.

the binnys here in chicago seem to have gotten alot latly..the one in downtown chicago in lincolnpark had about 20 bottles last week for $18.99 i picked up 3, another down on clybourn st also had old weller reserve 107 about 20 bottles for $21.99 i picked up 3 of those..still no luck finding the 12 year..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.