Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Makes me a bit worried about the ETL anniversary release. I talked to a shop owner yesterday and he's getting no info from his distributor about if/how many he's going to get but they are saying the release is "soon". While I put part of the blame on the 3 tier system, BT is anything but pure on this either.

Although I acknowledge Bourbon greatness from Kentucky.....

I wouldn't exactly look to its populous for advice on what to purchase. More often than not, I look to KY/WV for advice on what NOT to do/buy/anything

Just because people in KY buy Blantons/Woodford, isn't a vote in either's favor.......

IMO, Blanton's is horrible. The price point makes it worse. Other than Larceny, Blanton's might be my #2 on what NOT to buy over $18

I, usually, much prefer slower aged bourbons that don't come from a metal rickhouse (Blantons)

Josh and I. Informing people on what not to do since 1972 and (when were you born again?). :skep

Although I acknowledge Bourbon greatness from Kentucky.....

I wouldn't exactly look to its populous for advice on what to purchase. More often than not, I look to KY/WV for advice on what NOT to do/buy/anything

Just because people in KY buy Blantons/Woodford, isn't a vote in either's favor.......

IMO, Blanton's is horrible. The price point makes it worse. Other than Larceny, Blanton's might be my #2 on what NOT to buy over $18

I, usually, much prefer slower aged bourbons that don't come from a metal rickhouse (Blantons)

I always recommend Blantons, Makers and Woodford so that my picks are always in stock. :grin:

Seriously though, that is exactly what the middle class novice drinkers are buying/drinking here and that's why you'll see it on large table display spreads and/or aisle end caps in every liquor store around these parts.

That's the key. If someone asks for a recommendation, you want to suggest something they can find. Blanton's and Woodford are pretty easy to find. Whether others find them enjoyable and reasonably priced is another issue. Personally, I like both well enough while not drinking them as much as other offerings.

I know when I visit KY, relatives and others rarely recommend these offerings. Typically, they suggest cheaper offerings like Heaven Hill (EW, EC, etc.) or OGD.

There is going to be a lot more Pappy in the next few years! BT needs.to strike the iron while it is hot. We need some Pappy in Asia!

Mark Brown was the one who brought JD to the world, now it is time to spread the gospel of Pappy!

Get the Weller while you can folks.

Edited by Vadertime

• 1 month later...

I'm up in Virginia taking care of the grand kids and it is interesting that every store I visited had OWA so I am headed home with a case.

It will vary greatly depending on where you are in KY. Makers or jack Daniels would be a popular answer outside the state. But blantons, knob creek and woodford reserve would be equally popular inside ky.

I thought VOB BIB was the table bourbon of choice among Kentuckians.

At my store, The 86 proof is the most popular of the Barton's. Beam white and Evan Williams black are most popular here in central KY. Of the premiums, it's makers mark.

Stopped by a local liquor store he had been out of OWA and W12 for a while. The distributor just gave him his ration that day. 3 bottles OWA, 1 bottle of W12.... they shipped him 1 bottle!

And if he wants any more order it alongside the vanilla vodka.

Down here in Florida at the ABC stores it's becoming a bit more scarce. They're completely out of 1.75's of Weller 12. Don't know if this is temporary .. but do know it's unusual.

And if he wants any more order it alongside the vanilla vodka.

I've actually heard that happening lately, with several of their products. If I were an owner, methinks I'd tell them where they can put all of their products from here on out, and make a nice poster on the door of my shop informing clientele the real reasons whey those products cant be found there anymore. There are too many distilleries out there to be strongarmed by one of them.

Finally found some OWA on the shelves here in Western CT. Picked up a bottle last night.

I'm up in Virginia taking care of the grand kids and it is interesting that every store I visited had OWA so I am headed home with a case.

Wife and I were in NC Ashville area a month or so ago and the shelves were overflowing with OWA. Nearly every ABC store had a dozen+ on the shelves. Maybe there was a big shipment right before we got there.

Still seeing plenty OWA, but not W12.

ETL has reappeared, also.

Still no OWA or W12 here and now the WSR has disappeared too.

OWA and WSR were both back on the shelves on my last visit to one of the stores in my area. I've also seen some BT, but no ETL or Weller 12.

FWIW, Weller 12 probably won't be seen until the fall. Weller 12 is now basically a yearly release like Pappy and the BTAC. Has been for two or three years. If some folks are seeing Weller 12, and other seemingly limited or out of stock items show up from time to time, in all likelihood, it's because of the distributor. :skep: Yeah, I know. I've heard the same old song and dance more than a few times, from a number of liquor stores. I've also had a couple of interesting conversations with sales reps too. "Oh, we just found these in the warehouse" or "We forgot we had these." or "We finally found your order." or " We finally got your order. It was shipped to the wrong store by mistake, and it took us a while to get it all straightened out." I'm not saying it's all the distributors fault, as I'm pretty sure that some times store owners probably make mistakes too. :rolleyes:

I've talked with a few store managers around here from time to time. The picture that's painted is an odd one. The sales reps/distributors like to dangle a carrot from time to time. "If you start carrying ABC Vodka, we'll see what we can do about getting you a few bottles of DEF bourbon." Another thing I heard most recently was very interesting. One newer store manager here told me that he might be offered a "few things" if he would consider doing a barrel pick of GHI whiskey. Could this be a couple of reasons why some bottles don't make it to stores in a timely manner? Things that make you go hmmmmmm. :skep:

The warehouse of the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) has been out of Weller 107 for 5 weeks!!! :cry:

The liquor store in the small town where I live special orders Weller 107 for me, they have to purchase it by the case and not by the bottle, as many other bourbons can be purchased. When they ran dry 5 weeks ago I picked up the last few bottles from a store in a nearby city, but now they have been out and their last 2 orders for any Weller has been unfulfilled. :frown:

Has anyone an idea if the distillery ran dry or if there is a shortage of Weller 107 around the country??? :cry:

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Scoots

Merged into the current Weller shortage discussion.

Reading posts I know members in the big city are seeing but my dealers still can't get any.

AZ is still a Weller wasteland aside from some OWA and WSR stragglers I occasionally run across.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.