What beer are you drinking, Spring 14?

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, I never, ever see Zombie Dust in bottles; only on draft occasionally. That's a good one.

I can't remember the local brewery but one of my all time favorite Milwaukee micros is Louie's Resurrection. Some place downtown.

Yep, that's it! They only release Louie's around Halloween, if I remember correctly.

I might go ahead and crack one open tonight as well. Trying to decide whether to grab a couple to put away for a year or two.

I'll be grabbing a few for the coming years. If it's this good fresh, it's got a lot of aging possibilities with the style.

I'll be grabbing a few for the coming years. If it's this good fresh, it's got a lot of aging possibilities with the style.

Hell, it has a best after date of sometime next year. But it's gd good fresh.

Uinta Birthday Suit (sour farmhouse ale).

Tasty but it is like a while bunch of others I have tried in the same category recently. Prairie, JP etc.

Uinta Birthday Suit (sour farmhouse ale).

Tasty but it is like a while bunch of others I have tried in the same category recently. Prairie, JP etc.

I like this a lot because we pretty much get no sour beer here, so Birthday Suit is always a welcome release. Which one is it?

Bought a 21 but haven't tried it. Hell, think I have a 20 I haven't gotten around to yet.

Three Floyd's Behemoth is hitting the spot.
Damn skippy it better,that is great stuff!

Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster followed by Victory Dirt Wolf. The Monster is weird this year, but not worthless. Just different. The Victory is solid as always though.

I had a Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest today. Big let down IMO. Just a mellow little beer, not nearly as fresh hop forward as last year was. Maybe bad storage or something. I'll give it another shot, because it really didn't seem right.

FFF Oude Kriek right now. Great cherry character, tart but not really sour. Super nice.

A few months back, I learned that Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo was taking a beer bus to Wrigley Field to see the Yankees take on the Cubs. This was last Wednesday, May 21. I always wanted to visit Wrigley but never wanted to drive past downtown Chicago to get there. Problem solved! I took my folks and a buddy. One of the pics below is my Dad taking a catnap with the barrels of beer behind him - primetime real estate! The barrels were Oberon and Third Coast Ale. Safe picks.

The atmosphere inside and outside Wrigley Field is everything it's cracked up to be. I had just an absolutely fantastic time! It was Derek Jeter's last game in Wrigley - not that he played there very much. The game itself was a snoozer. Not much hitting. The Cubs blew a 2-0 lead in the ninth inning and ended up losing in the 13th inning.

This is beer-noteworthy because it caused our bus to return back to Kalamazoo about an hour and half later than expected. As a result, the Bell's General Store was closed when we got back. This bummed the hell out of me because Bell's just started selling 750 bottles of bourbon barrel aged Cherry Stout (limit 2 bottles) only in their General Store about a week ago. I live an hour and a half away so it isn't easy to make a special trip to Bell's. Nevertheless, I refused to be denied so I called my brother and we made a special trip this morning to Bell's to get our two bottles. Lucky for me, he let me have one of his bottle so I came home with three. After the bottle purchase, we went inside Bell's Eccentric Café and had lunch and a beer. I had the bourbon barrel aged Kalamazoo Stout. It was the most watery bourbon barrel stout I ever had. Truly disappointing. Oh well, I got what I went there for. I'm going to wait at least one full year before I try one.

post-8680-14489820887706_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489820887157_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489820887367_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489820887481_thumb.jpg

Hey DPPSmoker, I find just about all Bell's disapointing. Seems to me they have been toning down there beers for several years now.

I think they are trying to reach a bigger number of consumers like maybe the Sam Adams crowd.

Hey DPPSmoker, I find just about all Bell's disapointing. Seems to me they have been toning down there beers for several years now.

I think they are trying to reach a bigger number of consumers like maybe the Sam Adams crowd.

I can't say I disagree with you. I had that Oberon and Third Coast Ale on the beer bus because that was all there was but I haven't purchase either one of those on my own in a very long time. They were very ordinary.

But I think they kick ass with their stouts - Expedition, Double Cream Special and especially Black Note. This year's Black Note is damn good. I haven't had Cherry Stout for about 10 years - I remember that six pack being medicinal and I haven't revisited it since. I'm banking on the barrel to tone down the medicinal notes. I have never had their Kalamazoo Stout before until I tried the bourbon barrel aged version yesterday. I'll be happy sticking to KBS, Black Note, etc...

One last thing, I have been in their Eccentric Café three times in the last three months. Each time, they have one or two beers on tap that were brewed with experimental hopes, whatever that means. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick a winner or two from these experimentals and bottle them in the future.

Oscar, have you had a chance to visit Perrin's in north Grand Rapids or Dark Horse in Marshall? I would be interested to see your comments.

. I haven't had Cherry Stout for about 10 years - I remember that six pack being medicinal and I haven't revisited it since. .

I got a 6-pak of the Bell's Cherry Stout a couple of years ago and it was just bland, nothing special.

I have never had any of the other Bell's stouts.

Never heard of Perrin's so I'll look that up.

We went to the Dark Horse brew pub in Marshall once, good stuff and to make the trip really worth while we had dinner at Win Schuler's, a MI classic.

The Bell's Expedition Stout is excellent, especially if you cellar it for a year before drinking.

I managed to get my hands on some of the Dark Horse Plead the 5th a few months back. Great, potent stuff. Too bad it's seasonal.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!