Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Spring 2014

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went looking for ETL Commerative Bottle and stumbled upon a couple of gems from a few years ago.

And I'm officially jealous. The Sherry Oak is one of my most sought after bottles, you didn't happen to leave any on the shelf by chance, did you?

I need to open my Sherry Oak. I'm just scared that it won't live up to my expectation of what a sherry + Balvenie 17 will taste. That seems like it would be perfection.

I almost cracked one last night, but didn't. I couldn't believe it when I saw the bottle front and center in a case I've looked at probably over 15 times. I generally visit this particular store when visiting my nieces/nephews a few suburbs from where I live. The case is poorly lit and overcrowded. I asked the owner if he somehow just got them in or if it was new release. He said its been in the case since 2007 but buried so deep in the case that it really couldn't even be seen. They happened to rearrange it recently and put the Sherry Oak in front. It worked because that was and no-brainer purchase on my part.

After doing some online research on my new Balvenie 17 Sherry Wood purchases, I found out that the standard Balvenie 15 SB (aged in American oak) is being discontinued and will be replaced by a 15 year SB aged exclusively in sherry butts. This is an interesting development especially since the standard 15 SB has been around so long as a staple in their lineup. Some UK retailers are already listing the new version for sale. Not sure when its coming to the US market.

Picked up a Glendronach 12 this past weekend. This hasn't been on my radar until recently so I was excited to find a bottle and bring it home.

Powers John Lane 12 year. Very tasty and a nice change from from all my bourbon drinking. And my wife loved it, which means I get to buy more without being harassed!

Grabbed a Glenmo 18 over the weekend

To me, it's a perfect 18 year ex-bourbon whisky. I'm lucky enough to have a local sell it for $80 and it gives me 10% off more often than not because I'm loyal, so it's a no brainer buy for me. Open it...it's wonderful.

To me, it's a perfect 18 year ex-bourbon whisky. I'm lucky enough to have a local sell it for $80 and it gives me 10% off more often than not because I'm loyal, so it's a no brainer buy for me. Open it...it's wonderful.

It's a favorite and tends to be just under $100 around here. That in and of itself seems to a rarity for 18 year old single malt these days.

Just bought 2 bottles of Compass Box Flaming Heart 2nd edition for $70 each.

Great whisky and an even better price. I thought I got a good price on my bottle and it was $20 more than that.

Great whisky and an even better price. I thought I got a good price on my bottle and it was $20 more than that.

Dang straight. Is becoming my fave of the CBs that I've tried, and $70 is fantastic. Richard, we're going to have to talk to our guy...:D

Dang straight. Is becoming my fave of the CBs that I've tried, and $70 is fantastic. Richard, we're going to have to talk to our guy...:D

Will that one make an appearance on Saturday? :D I feel CB deprived, having only tried a couple at the event a couple months back.

Nice score indeed... Well done sir.

Just a couple 15 yr olds: Balvenie & Laphroaig

Will that one make an appearance on Saturday? :D I feel CB deprived, having only tried a couple at the event a couple months back.

Definitely in the line-up for Saturday! :toast:

Just a couple 15 yr olds: Balvenie & Laphroaig

Laphroaig 15? Really? Daddy dun good...

Laphroaig 15? Really? Daddy dun good...

I will second that. I'm still nursing my last bottle from years ago.

Poking around in the store and couldn't resist another Glendronach 12 bottled in 2013 for under $50. It is pretty good already even if it is only 12yo and if it really is 18yo it is hard to pass it up at that price.

The 15 has gotten all the way up to $100 which is annoying.

Bought myself a bottle of arbelour a'Bunadh batch 46 and a dalwhinnie 15 today. Currently sipping the arbelour in combo with a nicely hoppy aussie amber ale as a lively little pre dinner boilermaker (mountain goat fancy pants is the beer for those playing at home)

Another bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay 2013. Last bottle on the shelf - hopefully the 2014 will fill the void soon.

Picked up a dusty Talisker 10 in the previous packaging. I've heard that the profile changed around the time that the packaging changed; anyone know?

Picked up an Auchentoshan Classic...well...because I learned how to pronounce it...that's why...

Picked up an Auchentoshan Classic...well...because I learned how to pronounce it...that's why...

I don't know that your statement is 100% accurate yet but hearing you try is worth the bottle.

In honor of Joe, grabbed an Auchentoshan Valinch '11. Not sure if their regular offerings have it, but on the box for this is the phonetic pronunciation. Imagine they don't care how we say it as long as we buy it first!

Picked up a G&M Mortlach 15 yesterday. I figure this should be interesting to compare against the forthcoming new releases coming out soon.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!