What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I understand the hypothesizing on the possible lack of success of the OB series bottlings based on observations in liquor stores and quasi-logical deductions...but, has anyone heard hard sales numbers? Or, potentially a comment from someone even remotely up the food chain at Diageo regarding how it is selling?

I skimmed their annual report that was just released but I couldn't find any such disclosures...

Passed on some Wathen's and some Old Medley 12yo yesterday. There were about 15 bottles of each sitting on the shelf, but I'd never heard of either of them. From looking around here a bit, I think I made the right call. Did end up grabbing a bottle of Henry McKenna BIB.

Passed on a Russells Reserve but only because I am not sure its the one I tried last week. Once I sort that out, if its the same this will moved to the purchased today column.

Saw EC23 available today in a store and more than just a couple. 90 proof which I think is typical for this line. I did not care for the EC21 or 22 so I passed (I know, even I am a little shocked... :cool: ). The price was $199.99.

post-8493-14489821367409_thumb.jpg

Any Atlanta area SBer's who are interested and feeling particularly extravagant feel free to PM me for details!

Edited by tanstaafl2
To revise the price info!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19234[/ATTACH]

here's the new label for the HH6BIB guys...

There's something I definitely will not pass up. :drinking:

There's something I definitely will not pass up. :drinking:

its the LB on shelbyville rd in st matthews. everywhere else is pretty much out of HH6BIB, or will be really soon. there was a good 2+ cases right there on the shelf, so take that into consideration, all you KBF'ers.

yesterday, i passed on Russels Reserve 110 proof. It was a tossup between that and the new WTRB. With both having about the same proof, both being NAS, and a price difference of $15, I stayed with the RB that I knew I enjoyed. I hope to see the RR110 in a bar soon to try it. I just cant justify a blind $50 bottle, though with it being a store select, Im sure it wouldve been awesome.

Took a powder on a 1998/2008 EWSB today with a $45.99 price tag on it.

Dang Joe, that's crazy. As much as I like that one, I'd pass too.

Fox, if you like WTRB (which I know you do), I think it's a pretty safe bet you'll like the RR110. I can't see how you wouldn't like it. The issue of course, is value. I love the stuff, but here it costs almost $60 whereas WTRB is $29. That makes it an easy choice.

I passed on some HH6/BiB today. First time I had seen outside of Kentucky. Nice to know it's there if I want it.

Booker's 2013-6 Roundtable -- $59.99 (is it really much different/better than other standard editions?)

WT Diamond -- $129.99 (also passed the other day for $119.99)

OWA -- $39.99 for 750mL -- surprised me a bit as that's the most expensive I've seen it (I think)

I passed the other day on the below items...the (relatively low) prices made me think twice though.

Barterhouse -- $59.99

Stagg Jr. -- $41.99 (interestingly, I then went literally across the street to another store and saw Stagg Jr. for $69.99)

Id be on the Jr for $42.

Barterhouse -- $59.99

Stagg Jr. -- $41.99 (interestingly, I then went literally across the street to another store and saw Stagg Jr. for $69.99)

As much as I hate the marketing and story and BS, I'd be bringing home a 20yr old bourbon for $60. Jr at $42 is also an immediate purchase.

Yeah, the $42 Jr. was Batch 1 which I have already though. The $70 Jr. across the street was batch 2. I likely would have purchased the Jr. at $42 if it had been batch 2. I don't think the price difference had anything to do with the batch. One store is much larger and happened to be having a store wide sale.

I also already have the Barterhouse which contributed to my pass decision -- even at sub $60.

What caught my eye the most was actually a private selection OESV for $48. I passed on that as well, but will keep it in mind.

What caught my eye the most was actually a private selection OESV for $48.

Ohhhh.... does this store ship by chance? I've been trying to find an OESV and have struck out so far. (Binny's has it but doesn't ship to WA state.)

even I may have caved and grabbed the Barterhouse at $59. I had it once and thought it pretty enjoyable, particularly the nose

even I may have caved and grabbed the Barterhouse at $59. I had it once and thought it pretty enjoyable, particularly the nose

dont get me wrong.....$60 for a 20 year old bourbon is a steal these days, if you like old bourbon. I dont think it tasted indicative of its age, as I expected it to be a wood bomb, and it wasnt. Its probably worth $60 just to sit around and sniff it.

Passed on a few bottles of rhetoric $99 and barterhouse $79. I'm interested but not for those prices. Especially for something that might be hit or miss.

Other than what I purchased today, the only things I seriously considered were non bourbons.... Town Branch rye for $47 and a WP rye for $67. The WP tempted me, as it was the best price I've seen on it in in some time, but somehow I managed to fight off her advances and get away relatively unscathed.

I sure wouldn't have passed that up had it had been the barrel proof version.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!