What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Standard BT and SAOS 7 tonight.... in preparation for the return to the real world tomorrow. The OS took the BT down in a knockout!

Booker's. Even though I absolutely love it, I often overlook Booker's at the store or even on my own bar. I really have no idea why. Every pour I'm reminded it is hands down one of my favorites. Big, bold, powerful. It *is* bourbon, imo.

Hmmm. Good call. I think I'll switch to Booker's when I finish my glass of OFBB '13.

FRSB with Game of Thrones, then onto a healthy pour of EC12 while listening to my first-ever audio book.

Received a free credit for Audible, so I used it on Stephen King's 11/22/63. Taking some time getting used to someone reading it to me, and the Maine accents the reader does are ear-splitting.... But the story is great fun.

I love everything about this.

One hated, one loved.

Too bad the Bourbon Elite have now decided you don't know anything about bourbon because your taste preference doesn't' align with what's *supposed* to be "better." rolleyes.gif

Full disclosure: I have had both and think the nose on each is dangerously approachable yet what comes next leaves a bit to be desired. Time to do a blind SBS myself..

I have seen a both ends of the spectrum. I've seen some people say they like it with no criticism and I have also seen some people praise others for passing on it because "it isn't limited at all". I think it is fair to say that there is a bit of a stigmatism associated with the Orphan barrel stuff. Admittedly, it's likely due to price and marketing strategy more so than the juice itself and I think some of that is justified. Personally I don't care if it is limited, all I care about is if I like it or not. I must admit that I tend to like woody bourbon a lot and Barterhouse hits the spot for me...enough so that I may pick up another bottle. But you are right, I don't care if other people think I'm crazy for liking it. If you do the blind SBS, let us know what you think! Cheers

Edited by gooneygoogoo

went to a friend's house, to watch a concert from her porch which overlooks the park where they were playing, and took along one of the Old Bardstowns that I was gifted on Saturday. Not bad, but it wouldn't be something I'd buy myself. I never hear anything about this one, do you guys not care for it, or is it obscure outside of KY?

I've only seen Old Bardstown on shelves in KY and I've shopped in a lot of geographically different places.

Still working on the image of a bunch of Bourbon Elites sitting down with a bottle of Old Crow Reserve.

Thanks to the generosity of a co-worker I had a sample of old 8 yr age stated WT101 and did a SBS with current 101 last night. WOW that 8 yr was an eye opener!! Several on the board speak highly of the older Turkey and now I know why. The mouthfeel on this was unreal. I have read of bourbons being thick, chewy, viscous.... and while hinted at I can't recall anything like that 8yr Turkey, it was amazing!! The flavors while similar to the current gen were a bit better integrated. There was the butterscotch/toffee thing in perfect balance with the spice while the latest version to me intertwines with that spice a stronger ethanol note than was present in the 8 yr. This was a great one for the bourbon education and so glad to have had the opportunity to try it. I reciprocated with some nice, VERY nice 4R GS OBSO.

I had a pour of 2014 FRSB LE last night. I enjoyed the nose and the sweetness up front but to me the finish was very hot without much flavor. I tamed it with some water and then it was just a bland finish and lost some of the sweetness up front. Pretty disappointed with it.

went to a friend's house, to watch a concert from her porch which overlooks the park where they were playing, and took along one of the Old Bardstowns that I was gifted on Saturday. Not bad, but it wouldn't be something I'd buy myself. I never hear anything about this one, do you guys not care for it, or is it obscure outside of KY?

I can't recall seeing it outside of KY. I bought both the 90 and 101 proof versions several years ago. I opened the 90 proof. It reminded me of a drier, slightly bitter version of standard Evan Williams. I eventually finished the bottle, but won't replace it. Being that it's sourced, who knows, maybe they are putting better stuff in there now, it could be completely different. I never opened the 101 and still have it. When the one wine reviewer compared it to PVW, there were many laughs around here.

Old Bardstown Estate and 90 I've seen in a few spots on the Eastern seaboard - so it is at least out this way.

Back on topic - WT101 Rye last night (old label, or at least the version before the current release...) -

Blind SBS of OFBB '13 and Barterhouse. Gotta say, I taste some similarity here. Edge to Barterhouse

The OFBB '13 is a personal favorite of mine, but I can see this. It has an amazing nose, some interesting flavors, but it never really delivers on the initial nose. Its has some great aspects, but is not the most well rounded bourbon.

I have only had a couple pours of Barterhouse, but I enjoyed it. I don't remember any characteristics that really jumped out at me, but I don't remember any flaws or weak spots in it either. I don't see much actual hatred directed towards Barterhouse, just a lot of upturned noses and dismissive waves. I think a lot of the negativity comes from the idea that it doesn't do anything to justify the $20-$30 premium over bourbons of similar quality.

The Barterhouse might be a little better, but I'll still continue to reach for the OFBB '13. It was less than half the price, and actually grabs my attention when I pour some. I'm willing to sacrifice a little overall quality for one or two characteristics that really shine. I had a couple pours over the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Edited by Quantum

Man, do I love the EC profile. I haven't tried EC21 but I have an open bottle of EC12, EC18 and ECBP.

You and me both. I never found an 18 but looking forward to cracking open my BPs one of these days...

Edited by dcbt

Finishing up a vatting of ORVW 12 and current OWA 107. Some days, the profile was marginal at best. Other days [like today] it was just crazy dessert-rich goodness that makes me want to blend more immediately. Stupid palate swings.

I've only seen it in one store here in Seattle - a place with a knowledgeable spirits manager who special orders different things than you see elsewhere. This place has some of the other lesser known KBD bottles as well.

Back to Larceny tonight, with a little sbs of OF1849 (not blind). Haven't reached for the OF1849 in a long time, and now wondering why (not that I liked it more than the Larceny; but it compares favorably while being different enough).

EH Taylor Small Batch. It is gonna go on sale for $25 soon and I am trying to figure out how many I should buy. I think 2 or 3 should suffice.

Finishing off my CEHT SmB with two pours. Haven't seen one around to replace it.

Just opened the recent Kenwood FR PS OBSF. Great stuff!

Tyler, age and proof? Of the bourbon I mean.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!