What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ETL followed by some Angel's Envy TPS Store Select. Likely capped with some Stagg Jr.

Still working on the image of a bunch of Bourbon Elites sitting down with a bottle of Old Crow Reserve.

It was months ago, but a dude on BX/BP posted the results of his holiday blind taste testing. It was 3-4 heavy hitters like FR 125, PVW 20, Parker's something.....and then Mr Old Crow Reserve. Take a wild guess which one was the top pick?

But it's good to have a favorite that doesn't get the Elite blessing. I still think the 2013 BTAC THH holds the crown for the whole AC lineup for 2013 and is a nudge better than the previous couple years. And it's usually the one BTAC bottle that gets left behind on the shelf. Alrighty then, more for me!!

Going back to Barterhouse while enjoying a pleasant evening sitting out in the garage listening to the Braves on the radio. The nose continues to be the highlight for me, but I'm also picking up on an interesting little buttered popcorn on the finish, that I had not recognized before. And, it's nice . This whiskey just keeps marching along in a capable, workmanlike fashion, and I keep coming back to the point that it's simply a very solid, well executed, 20 yr old bourbon that is well worth its price to me. I become more of a fan with every session I have with it.

Here you go, Eric.

Cool thanks. I just killed a local store pick OBSF of similar age and proof. Mine was 124 plus and just a couple of months older. Really enjoyable pour.

Going back to Barterhouse while enjoying a pleasant evening sitting out in the garage listening to the Braves on the radio. The nose continues to be the highlight for me, but I'm also picking up on an interesting little buttered popcorn on the finish, that I had not recognized before. And, it's nice . This whiskey just keeps marching along in a capable, workmanlike fashion, and I keep coming back to the point that it's simply a very solid, well executed, 20 yr old bourbon that is well worth its price to me. I become more of a fan with every session I have with it.

Supposedly, the Elites won't be happy with this.

Seriously though, thanks for posting your thoughts as always. Is this one bunker worthy for you? And, how do compare this to Old Blowhard?

OGDBIB. despite picking this #3 of 5 at the blind tasting the other day, I just really cant get into it. The entry is nice, then it all goes downhill quickly from there.

I don't care for it either, Fox. And yet I enjoy the 114...

exactly my feelings.

despite picking the OGD over the HH6 at the tasting, tonight, Im back to preferring the HH6 by a large margin.

im still amazed that OGDBIB and OGD 114 start off as the same stuff from the barrel. They taste nothing alike

Having a nice size pour of FRSBLE'14. This is a really really good pour.

VOB 100 1.75l , bottle code #10, case date March 2014

Our bourbon and grilling group has just about stopped drinking anything else and probably will not switch until we empty the bunkers of the #10s.

Edited by cubacroc

ER10, followed by a pour of BT. Nothing fancy. BT's house style is just really approachable bourbon, for me.

VOB 100 1.75l , bottle code #10, case date March 2014

Our bourbon and grilling group has just about stopped drinking anything else and probably will not switch until we empty the bunkers of the #10s.

What's special about this?

It's Monday so I'm drinking my "I need to get rid of this" bourbon. Tonight, that's James E. Pepper 1776 which was gifted to me. It's not bad at all, but doesn't get me excited either. I decided to taste it alongside HH BIB gold label. I have to say the gold label is much more to my liking, which says a lot considering the Pepper is $33 in these parts. Does me no good, of course, since I can't get the gold label here (my bottle was sent to me). The good news is that we can get the HH BIB 6yr which is even better.

went to a friend's house, to watch a concert from her porch which overlooks the park where they were playing, and took along one of the Old Bardstowns that I was gifted on Saturday. Not bad, but it wouldn't be something I'd buy myself. I never hear anything about this one, do you guys not care for it, or is it obscure outside of KY?

It's here in St. Louis. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my "eventual" list.

And after a long evening out in the yard, sweating in the St. Louis heat, some Jim Beam Single Barrel over a nice ice sphere was perfect.

Edited by Ravensfire

Supposedly, the Elites won't be happy with this.

Seriously though, thanks for posting your thoughts as always. Is this one bunker worthy for you? And, how do compare this to Old Blowhard?

Because it seems so plentiful on the shelves currently, I'm not ready to bunker, though I do have a second bottle. But , I bought that one really as support for my whiskey monger. Of course, I have a shinbone full of bruises from kicking myself over the years for not buying whiskies I liked, because I thought I could always easily get them, only to discover Poof!, they're gone in a flash. But, if I continue to fall for Barterhouse as I have, yes, I probably will put a few back. Again, at $70 for a nice 20 year old bourbon is a solid proposition in my book. Unfortunately, I can't offer an opinion on it as compared to Old Blowhard. I've only had a small taste of the OB, and that was during the whiskey-orgy that is the Gazebo Table, and I honestly don't remember it. :crazy: In addition, pricing on OB puts it in my painful category, so at this time I really don't have a lot of interest in it.

Last night was '09 Stagg. I need to visit this one. Wicked high proof but when I get it balanced right it's exceptional.

That '09 is a beast! I have about 4 pours left on mine, then it is on to a 2011 that I have not opened yet. Will be interesting to taste the differences.

A vatting of EC12 and ECBP 1:1.. simply delicious, very full bodied, thick and chewy, leaves that nice oily film on the inside of the glass.

I usually tell people that FR is my favorite bourbon/distillery, but gosh darn it, I seem to always be drinking something from HH.

I usually tell people that FR is my favorite bourbon/distillery, but gosh darn it, I seem to always be drinking something from HH.

Aye. For me they are clearly #1 and #2 but the order seems to switch to whichever brand is in my glass.

A vatting of EC12 and ECBP 1:1.. simply delicious, very full bodied, thick and chewy, leaves that nice oily film on the inside of the glass.

A really, really nice neat pour of Maker's 46. Hey, I'm an unabashed fan of regular Maker's, and I understand the many reasons so many pass it over. But, this 46 is really wonderful whiskey, that compares favorably with many bourbons that are beloved on SB. And, some of those at higher price points.

Double pour of ECBP. Nice

Then now on a decent pour of 4RSBLE14 and at half bottle still can't get into it. Still too much pepper.

Continuation of last night.... A starter pour of BT which will be followed with a SAOS 7 finish.

Just finished a dram of SAOS 10 followed by CEHT Small Batch. Decent back to back pairing.

Liquor Barn OBSK. 11 years 6 months. Wish I would have bought more than one.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!