What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You're not supposed to be drinking ECBP. You've got Larceny homework for next week . . . get to work.

:lol: I just had to break it up a bit :) Plan on hitting that later tonight or tomorrow (again).

Cracked open an Ezra B 12yr single barrel; not bad but hope it improves with some air. More woody than I expected, although a bit of water really bumped it up nicely.

I agree... nothing to write home about but it was fine. Definitely have to revisit.

Cracked open an Ezra B 12yr single barrel; not bad but hope it improves with some air. More woody than I expected, although a bit of water really bumped it up nicely.

I hate what folks are having to deal with in terms of the hurricane hitting the coast but it's making for damn fine weather in Atlanta this afternoon/evening. On the back porch with George T Sr, Macallan, and Aberlour (those last two are my terriers)

I hate what folks are having to deal with in terms of the hurricane hitting the coast but it's making for damn fine weather in Atlanta this afternoon/evening. On the back porch with George T Sr, Macallan, and Aberlour (those last two are my terriers)

Amazing how humidity dropped, and a nice breeze is coming through. A touch of Rhetoric for me. Still too early to form an opinion.

The lack of rhetoric to describe Rhetoric leaves us curious. Our humidity and temperatures dropped significantly in Indy. Our weather front came from the north.

Finishing off a bottle of EWSB (Cap N' Cork selection).

Amazing how humidity dropped, and a nice breeze is coming through. A touch of Rhetoric for me. Still too early to form an opinion.

If any of the East Cobb contingent want swing by for drinks, smokes, etc. come in over.

I await your opinion on Rhetoric Joe.

I've got a bottle on hold I won't be picking up until Tuesday (and I'll buy it regardless, since the guy was nice enough to hold it fir six days), but still look forward to some notes from others.

Still have unopened bottles of Barterhouse and OBH, so might just do a three-way taste test next week.

Getting close to another empty. This isn't the best store select I've had but it was crazy good value because they applied the same barcode as regular ol' single barrel.

post-10579-14489821083341_thumb.jpg

It is an amazing night in Atlanta weather wise, too bad I was supposed to be landing in NY right now. Cancelled. Options given to us where laughable. I mean who wouldn't want to leave on Sat morning, travel to Milwakee to get to NYC at 10PM to come back home on Monday. I don't know why the lady wouldn't just smile and say shucks it's the 4th, I've got nothing for you but a refund.

Oh well, rushed home to get the dog out of the kennel. Took the wife to mckendricks for a steak and now on the porch with a saz18. Guess it will be the dunwoody parade for me in the morning. Ha!

McKendricks steak and the Saz18 is making up for it a bit.

Just opened an OF Single Barrel store selection. 90 proof NAS so had some reservations, but it came highly recommended by their whiskey buyer.

Nose: bananas-specifically dried banana chips. Popped it open and the whole area smelled like I just opened a bag of those suckers. Long syrupy legs and big beads on the glass. Nose has become more vanilla as it opens, custardy with some light herbal notes.

Taste: lots of spice on the entry. Woody spices cinnamon, nutmeg. Then some sweeter notes and some barrel and a little of the herbal hints especially late.

Finish: hot and lingering shows its youth here a bit but not bad QPR. I imagine this would have been a heck of a Birthday Bourbon if it had lived to be 12 years old.

Had some Sushi and Thai for dinner at one of my regular spots, the only decent bourbon behind the bar was Booker's. The inconsistency of bar pours when you order booze neat always cracks me up, especially when you order something incongruous with the establishment. I am sure if I had ordered a sake the amount dispensed would have been spot on. So anyways, I order the Booker's neat while my sushi was being prepped. Watching the bartender do battle with the Booker's display box, then the wax seal was priceless and worth the price of admission on its own. Once he finally extricated the cork with all the gusto of a true samurai he proceeded to pour roughly 9 fingers of juice into an already oversized rocks glass. I was actually concerned he was going to overflow the glass. He stopped just as it hit the rim of the glass and gave me a coy, knowing grin like he was saying "I know exactly how you like your whiskey". Long story short I worked through my Sushi and extra Thai spicy entre washing down each bite with my seemingly bottomless vessel of 128 proof goodness, which is kind of like trying to put out a dumpster fire in August with jet fuel. Anyways, I survived the meal and while auditing the bill had to chuckle at the fact I was charged a whole $8 for my drink which was equal to what my wife was charged for her Saporo. Now I am safely home trying to quell my insides with a night cap of CEHT Rye. Happy 4th everyone. Prilosec here I come!

Edited by dcam1075

^

^

^

This may be my favorite post on SB in a month or so. Opening the cork with the gusto of a samurai. Awesome!

Watching the bartender do battle with the Booker's display box, then the wax seal

This is also awesome.....man, that's a heck of a pour you ended up with!

Tonight, I started with RRSmBSiB. I do like this one, but not enough to justify the price hike over Rare Breed. Glad I have it though, as I will enjoy it.

Finishing with CEHT BP. Has the elements that remind me of Stagg (though it's nowhere close to it of course) so this is a good night.

Standard 4RSB while dreaming of 9 finger pours, Samauri swordsmen, sushi, jet fuel and Prilosec! I like them all, but I love 4RSB.

I want to go try this place, nine fingers! Crazy

Started early with double pours of ECBP then ETLC. Now maybe GTS or WLW '12.

Edited by tigerlam92
add

Last night I had a pour of one of my favorites. A liquor barn OBSK. Now I'm packing up to head to Atlanta for the weekend for a friend's wedding. If anyone has any stores or places to check out let me know (PM if needed). I'm staying what looks to be near downtown on the map. Happy 4th everybody!!

A little WT 12 CGL (Classic Gold Label) this morning to celebrate the 4th.

Life is good!

I await your opinion on Rhetoric Joe.

I've got a bottle on hold I won't be picking up until Tuesday (and I'll buy it regardless, since the guy was nice enough to hold it fir six days), but still look forward to some notes from others.

Still have unopened bottles of Barterhouse and OBH, so might just do a three-way taste test next week.

Went with some Bulleit 10 last night while watching Longmire on DVD. A frontier whiskey for a frontier show. (And, yes, I also think cheddar makes it better, and a dollop of Daisy goes a long way.)

I finally got around to my sbs with the Old Forester SB store pick and Old Forester Sig. Here are my notes:

I started out with these blind, with the Signature diluted to 90 proof to match the SB, but these are so different that I could identify them immediately. Also, I found that adding water to the Signature brings out the tannins in a way that I don't care for, so I did a comparison with the Signature at 100 proof.

The single barrel is 90 proof and is devoid of other information other than that it is from warehouse L. There's a blank white address-sized label on the back where maybe more info could go. Not sure what that's about. It pours a slightly darker amber than the signature.

The nose has less leather and much more fruit (red fruit and some apple) than the sig. The fruit really dominates the nose. Interesting.

Lots of apple on the palate as well. The usual old forester caramel takes a back seat to the apple and cherry, but is still present.

Finish is medium-long with lots of fruit and less oak than the signature. Also some baking spices linger.

Overall, a very pleasant bourbon that's pretty different from the standard brand profile. Is it worth $45? I'm glad I picked one up but I don't think I will be bunkering this one.

First pour of Old Ezra in me coffee. Not quite as good as OGD but a good start to the 4th

While going through my stuff this morning, I found a couple family sized bottles of JTS Brown that I had forgotten I had. A few years ago my local store was discontinuing the brand for like $17 a 1.75, so I bought the 3 they had.

So I just opened one up, typical HH profile, typically yummy

I finally got around to my sbs with the Old Forester SB store pick and Old Forester Sig. Here are my notes:

I started out with these blind, with the Signature diluted to 90 proof to match the SB, but these are so different that I could identify them immediately. Also, I found that adding water to the Signature brings out the tannins in a way that I don't care for, so I did a comparison with the Signature at 100 proof.

The single barrel is 90 proof and is devoid of other information other than that it is from warehouse L. There's a blank white address-sized label on the back where maybe more info could go. Not sure what that's about. It pours a slightly darker amber than the signature.

The nose has less leather and much more fruit (red fruit and some apple) than the sig. The fruit really dominates the nose. Interesting.

Lots of apple on the palate as well. The usual old forester caramel takes a back seat to the apple and cherry, but is still present.

Finish is medium-long with lots of fruit and less oak than the signature. Also some baking spices linger.

Overall, a very pleasant bourbon that's pretty different from the standard brand profile. Is it worth $45? I'm glad I picked one up but I don't think I will be bunkering this one.

Excellent notes, well thought out approach and I really enjoyed reading Andrew. Worthy of its own thread.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!