What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So my wife and I went over to a friends' house last night for a party. I brought a bottle of FRSB as a token. I see they have Woodford Reserve open, so instead of asking to open my bottle of FRSB, I decide to have a pour of the WR. I was quickly reminded of why I never drink WR. It was typically metallic, and just not very good. So then thankfully, someone else opens my bottle of FRSB, which I take a pour from, and that's more like it. Meanwhile, by the end of the night, the FRSB was down to about a pour left, while the WR was about where I had left it.

I have turned a bunch of my friends onto FRSB, and apparently it is working. But boy, FRSB is just so darn good, and an absolute steal at close to $30 around here.

I cracked open my Elmer T Lee Commemorative to celebrate the 4th - seemed appropriate. This is sublime bourbon. Reminded me of my recent trip to Louisville... sweet, spicy, familiar and comforting, yet somewhat unsettling and frustrating. Because I'm not back in Louisville right now, and we can't get any more ETLC.

Up here in the Northeast the 4th is a washout.While I'm smoking 2 pork butts for pulled pork for tomorrow's make-up BBQ I'm sipping on a couple of pours of OGD BIB (better than I remember it) and I just poured a healthy portion of ECBP 134 proof.

I think tomorrow while I smoke ribs I'll crack open my 1st Bookers' 25th.

Sounds like fun. I wish I still had my smoker. There's nothing like playing with fire and meat while drinking and shooting (the S.)

I think that it's going to be a top shelf wheater and rye evening for me while I watch the fireworks from my porch or couch depending on how hot it is.

Sounds like fun. I wish I still had my smoker. There's nothing like playing with fire and meat while drinking and shooting (the S.)

I think that it's going to be a top shelf wheater and rye evening for me while I watch the fireworks from my porch or couch depending on how hot it is.

The smoker is the best father's day gift ever! Its a cheap Chargriller but boy it sure does make some great Q. I know i n couple of years il be looking to upgrade. Thank God I've got. 12x12 pop up awning to cover the smoker in this heavy rain! I've got enough room to cook and sit and sip while I tend the fire: )

Last night I finished a sample 8 yr age stated Wt101 which was fantastic then moved on to a 50/50 4R OESV/OBSQ vatting.

Enjoyed some OBSK earlier this afternoon

I just popped open Crown Liquor's OBSK (2014 San Francisco World Spirits Competition’s Best Bourbon)

Allergies are kicking up a little so the nose was not as prominent as I would expect but it is a spice bomb on entry. The finish is medium in length and has the cherry-cinnamon flavor that I enjoy with the higher rye FR. There is a hint of smokey oak. I can see why it fared well in competition. The spicy taste/feel is strong but it doesn't overpower hints of other flavors.

I added a small cube and it really opened up enhancing the cherry-cinnamon flavor and reducing a little of the oakiness. However, it slightly softened the finish.

I really like it. I wouldn't put it in the LE SmB category as I prefer the 2013 LE SmB. I also agree with Ben (an SB member and one of the selector's of the bourbon), while this is a really, really good bourbon, I believe I prefer their last OESK selection.

Sipping on my first smooth ambler old scout 10 year. Love it so far...

Cracked a bottle of EC 12 at a small gathering tonight and watched it go pretty quickly. It was very well received by several that had never enjoyed it before. It's just a solid and very drinkable bourbon that rarely lets me down.

Wild Turkey American Spirit and Michter's 10 tonight.

Both very well loved by all in attendance.

tbt

Had some HHSS, PVW15, and VOF 8yr. earlier. Can I squeeze a rye in? We'll see...

Last night I listened to the fireworks holding my terrified terrier while enjoying a local selection OBSK.

Followed up the OBSK with a pour of 2013 FRSmBLE, then a little more OBSK. I found the 2013 FRSmBLE slightly better. However, I found my second pour of the OBSK was interesting as I notice more of a hint of baking spice than on the first pour. Both were very enjoyable.

Enjoying some Weller 12 neat while planning how to avoid doing anything productive the rest of the day. This is a good start :)

Yesterday for the 4th I had a few pours with my father of some ND OGD BIB and ER101 NOLA its fun for me to give a little back now and then.I know I snuck plenty of his stuff over the years so I figure I might as well treat him now.

Started the day with a pour of ETL Commerative.... Veeeery nice! Switched to a very-low-fill bottle of Very Special Old Fitz, 12-yr.... finished it off in one generous pour ... Also veeeery nice; but quite different. Finished with a pour of Evan Williams SB '02. Liked that veeeeery well also. All-in-all a very nice day of Bourbon, BBQ, Ladder-Ball, and Family. WONDERFUL!!! :grin:

had a blanton's special reserve old fashioned, now american prairie reserve

Drinking the 12 yo Jim Beam Signature Craft. NOT BAD AT ALL. I really like it, despite it's sub-90 proof point (86 proof).

Not overly woody, well balanced.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!