What beer are you drinking Summer 2014

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Into the deep dive of Octoberfest Beers. Tonight, a Highland Brewing (Asheville, NC) "Clawhammer" Oktoberfest Lager. Beautiful nose full of maltiness. Semi-sweet over the palate. One of the better Octoberfests, so far. I've always been kind of "so-so" on this brewery's releases previously, but I like this one.

Did a tasting flight of 4 Firestone Walker beers last night while watching the Ravens pound the Steelers on TNF. The Agrestic (sour), Stickee Monkee, and Double DBA were all fantastic and complex beers. However, the Oaktoberfest was a huge let-down. Maybe the first 3 beers gave me sensory overload, but the Oaktoberfest just came off as a watery, fizzy yellow beer; something I would have expected from Budweiser or Coors. Firestone Walker's brewery is located in Paso Robles, CA. "Paso Robles" is Spanish for "pass of the oaks". Yeah, I think that was an omen; I should have passed on the oak(toberfest).

Celebrating the end of the work day with a Four Hands Chocolate Milk Stout. Nothing too crazy, just a beer done well.

How was the lemon cello IPA? I have one in the fridge right now.

Recents.

Evil Twin nomader weisse in cans.

Prairie Cherry Funk.

Both stellar sours.

Back to the IPA's with a Terrapin Hi-5 IPA as I'm lazing back after a day of yard work.

Started with a Big Muddy Pumpkin Smasher after yardwork all afternoon. Meh. Not bad, but just not that good. On to a Ranger IPA - nice classic IPA.

Just picked up 2 more Prairie Funky Gold Mosaics because I enjoyed it so much. Cherry Funk is the same with cherries, but not as good for me.

How was the lemon cello IPA? I have one in the fridge right now.

Recents.

Evil Twin nomader weisse in cans.

Prairie Cherry Funk.

Both stellar sours.

Was like an Imperial Pledge Shandy.

Lonerider Brewing (Raleigh, NC) "Sweet Josie" Brown Ale while hanging out on an overcast and coolish Sunday afternoon. I had this on tap a couple of weeks ago at the local wing joint, and really enjoyed it. So, picked it up when I saw it at the corner store. Very dark in color that is almost stoutish-like. Creamy with a lot of chocolate notes. Nice beer.

Having an Avery The Kaiser. Really nice, but it doesn't seem all that much different from a really good Octoberfest besides being stronger. Of the three Dictator series beers, this one would rank third. Still quite good, but just not spectacular like the other two.

Sipping on some 4 Hands Resurrection IPA while working on a thorny bit of java code. But I'm staring at a couple of bottles of Avery 5 Monks I picked up over lunch. A quintuple (!?!?) belgian clocking in with an ABV of 19.4%. And I'm gonna be aging this for at least a year so right now it's pure torture.

A growler from a keg of vintage ATG KY Ryed chiquen. We kept it for just over a year before tapping it. The bitter bite from the hops and rye are muted and the whiskey comes to the front.

Lagunitas distribution finally hit retail in Indiana this week. Sipping on some Lil' Sumpin' Extr and enjoying it. It's like a high Gravity Gumballhead.

Enjoying a Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper aged in oak barrels. It's a tad sweet, little low on carbonation, but otherwise very flavorful and fairly easy to drink @ 10%abv. Not sure how long this one has been in the bunker but it's a winner.

Shopping for a new house is frustrating and thirsty. Had a couple always tasty Bells Two Hearted and a Ommegamg Three Philosophers while watching me beloved Cards plays the Reds.

Goose Island's Migration Week flew into St. Louis this week and was at my usual spot last night. Should have taken a picture, but had half pours of BCS, BCS Coffee and BCD Barleywine, all 2013 barrels so they've had some nice aging time. Plus a glass of Sofie to start the evening off. Such fine, wonderful beers!

2014 Hof ten Dormaal barrel aged series. Bruidladdich version. I like it but it's a bit on the yeasty and spicy side. Needs some time to mellow in the bottle.

Found a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp West Coast Double IPA (single release that was not in the Beer Camp pack). Really nice, bitter IPA with plenty of floral, citrus and sappy pine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.