What beer are you drinking Summer 2014

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Aaron, I have been wanting to get my hands on anything from New Glarus. I just haven't found a mule yet who can bring it to me. Have you had any other beers from New Glarus?

I tasted one of their famous fruit beers; not my thing. Way too sweet. I'm a big fan of Spotted Cow, though it's very light and really more of a lawnmower beer. Moon Man IPA has a great nose and, again, a very light palate. Crisp and refreshing, but nowhere near any kind of flavor powerhouse. I only moved close to the WI border last Fall, so this is the first chance I've had to try their beers and the Oud Bruin blows everything else I've had from them out of the water.

Bought some Guinness. Been forever since I bought this stuff and I had forgotten how much I like it.

If you see it, you might also try the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Think Guinness on steroids, about 7.5% abv I think. You'll see it a lot in the Bahamas. It's phenomenal.

I tasted one of their famous fruit beers; not my thing. Way too sweet. I'm a big fan of Spotted Cow, though it's very light and really more of a lawnmower beer. Moon Man IPA has a great nose and, again, a very light palate. Crisp and refreshing, but nowhere near any kind of flavor powerhouse. I only moved close to the WI border last Fall, so this is the first chance I've had to try their beers and the Oud Bruin blows everything else I've had from them out of the water.

New Glarus is only available in WI, right? Might be time to visit the badger state.

If you see it, you might also try the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Think Guinness on steroids, about 7.5% abv I think. You'll see it a lot in the Bahamas. It's phenomenal.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll search for it.

I drank a bottle of the new offering from Almanac brewing, their Dark Pumpkin Sour. There is only the slightest hint of pumpkin, but the spices are just right, and everything works together pretty well. I have liked a couple of other Almanac sours more, but this is still very good.

It certainly is. A local beer store got a few cases of it in earlier this summer. I had never heard of it before; like you said, sold mainly along the equatorial region. Lot's of dates and semi-sweet chocolate, dried fruit, etc. The finish is a bit bitter, but overall it's definitely something to seek out. $10 for a 4-pk isn't exactly cheap, but worth it.

In a temporary respite from the beers of Summer, I threw a Deschutes Obsidian Stout to the front of the beer fridge, and am enjoying it now. Nice coffee notes on this rainy evening, make it a great selection.

I stopped by a new microbrewery in Ada, MI last night called Gravel Bottoms. I sampled three of their six beers on tap and all were solid. I had their amber ale and it was one of the better amber ales I have had, if not the best one I have ever had. I will be stopping by there again.

Even better, they sold howlers there so I got an empty one and one filled with the amber ale. I recently discovered that a store near me now has 30 beers available on tap for growler/howler fills. I can't knock down a growler any more so the howlers will come in handy.

Founders Dissenter. An imperial India pale lager. Nice Nose and lots of hop presence. Tastes eerily similar to a session iPa except it has 8% abv.

Don't think this belongs in the Backstage Series but it is innovative and interesting.

Founders Dissenter. An imperial India pale lager. Nice Nose and lots of hop presence. Tastes eerily similar to a session iPa except it has 8% abv.

Don't think this belongs in the Backstage Series but it is innovative and interesting.

Recently I've discovered that I like Saison. I got to try Sam Adam's, and Fat Tire's versions; and liked them both. Fair warning, I like Bavarian style hefe, and some of the other yeasty-fruity tasting wheat beers.

I stumbled across one today at my favorite beverage take-out.

Founders Dissenter India Pale Lager.

This is one in the Founders Backstage Series.

Basically it's a high hopped lager, they use a different yeast than their other beers.

It weighs in at 8.7% ABV and 70 IBU, in a 750 ML bottle with a whopping $12.99 retail price.

Lots to like here, fruity mango and grapefruit, like an IPA but a lighter body.

As you can see it has the classic yellow look of a lager, nice carbonation.

I would have preferred less bitter and more fruit but I really like this beer.

rsz_1beer_007_zps4a396ee7.jpg

The day was far too nice to be stuck inside working so I snuck out a bit early. Collapsed on my porch with the dogs, a book and a glass of Dieu du Ciel Rigor Mortis Abt. Wow - phenominal belgian. I seriously need to find more of this.

Now, it's a 4 Hands Resurrection IPA as I watch the Cards play. Perfect, lazy evening!

Had a Traquair House Ale with dinner yesterday at an interesting little restaurant in Monteagle, TN called Daves Modern Tavern. Not the kind of town I would expect to find a 100+ different beers on the menu.

It was part of a crazy one day almost 800 mile run from Atlanta to Cox Creek and back to help my local store pick out a 100 proof OBSV barrel. We ended up with two! Jim is still out following his shoulder surgery although he apparently came by in the morning to help with another pick. They made him go home after that! And then by the time we finished the gift shop was closed. Otherwise a pretty good, if long, day.

Should see if you can get your hands on some Saison Brett from Boulevard....great saison with a yeasty-earthy quality.

Its one of my favorits.

Recently I've discovered that I like Saison. I got to try Sam Adam's, and Fat Tire's versions; and liked them both. Fair warning, I like Bavarian style hefe, and some of the other yeasty-fruity tasting wheat beers.

Got some of the new Sierra Nevada seasonal in today at the store. It's the Flipside Red IPA and it has some nice malty sweetness to balance the hop bitterness. Way, way better than that Summerfest Lager crap.

Got some of the new Sierra Nevada seasonal in today at the store. It's the Flipside Red IPA and it has some nice malty sweetness to balance the hop bitterness. Way, way better than that Summerfest Lager crap.

I've seen this popping up at stores. How would you say it compares to, say, Founders Red's Rye IPA?

I've seen this popping up at stores. How would you say it compares to, say, Founders Red's Rye IPA?

Can't say I've had that particular Founder's brew. Sorry.

post-9650-14489821303674_thumb.jpg

The 'Cow from 3Floyds. Hoppy DIPA with a creamy malty backbone. Awesome! Great effort from Munster,IN.

Monday Night Brewing of ATL "Fu Manbrew" Belgian Wit. One of the most enjoyable beers I've had of late. Brewed with a touch of ginger makes this marvelously refreshing, and is a great complement to the bananany element (as I see it ) of the Belgian style wit. First experience with this brewery, and I'm very impressed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.