What beer are you drinking Summer 2014

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My usual bar found a case of Charleville Box of Chocolate stashed away and put it out, so a friend and I split a bottle. The 6 months of aging didn't hurt this Belgian Quad at all - wonderful stuff! Hope there is still a bottle or two left when I go back this weekend.

Really this is quite the weak showing for Founders, well below the fabled "Backstage Series" IMO innovative yes, impressive no.

I think some of the lackluster Backstage Series offerings recently are the result of Founder's amazing growth. Check out this article about their crazy growth numbers and their expansion plans (yet again) in the last four years - http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/07/founders_will_double_in_size_b.html#incart_river. But I do agree with you in that the Backstage Series hasn't turned out to be what I think most people thought it would be. I'm optimistic that the unannounced release scheduled for December will be a stunner.

I made the 100 mile drive to Bell's yesterday to pick up some Oracle and Mars. The difficulty in purchasing the specialty craft beers in Michigan is getting eerily similar to chasing down the special releases that the bourbon distilleries release. The one sure way I know how to get what I want from Bell's is go straight to the source. btw, after having both the Oracle and Mars, my opinions of the beers is that Oracle is very similar to Founder's Double Trouble and Mars is very similar to Lagunitas Sucks.

I had a really great day. I stopped by Arcadia Brewing and their new Kalamazoo facility is exceptional. They did a really nice job with the place. And their bbq was outstanding! Last but not least, I stopped by one of my favorite shops and found a few more beers to bring home with me.

post-8680-14489821342837_thumb.jpg

Edited by DPPSmoker

Picked up some Odell brewing in STL on the way to lake of the ozarks. First one tonight is Tree Shaker. An imperial peach iPa.

Hops and yeasty funk on nose. Hops and bitterness are muted by the peach on the palate. 3.5 out of 5.

Went to one of the Barns looking to maybe find Mars from the Planets series from Bell's. No luck. But I did grab a 4-pack of Two Hearted Ale in cans.

Summer feels a bit like Fall this year in Ohio. Celebrating that with Wilhelm Scream (favorite pumpkin for me so far) and Palm Speciale Belge Ale.

Having a glass of this to celebrate delivering a project.

18481d11b3986bcb521a195a6e35749c.jpg

2014 Bells Black Note stout. Its been in my basement for a few months and just could wait longer. Extremely smooth, tasty - an extremely well crafted beer.

Enjoying another Smells Like a Safety Meeting from Dark Horse. One of my favorite IPA's this year.

As a side note.....confirming that I'm getting old and out of touch with things, I just found out that having a safety meeting is stoner slang for taking a break while at work to smoke dope. Geez :rolleyes:

SN Torpedo. At $2.99 for a bomber, not bad at all for a quick, inexpensive, easy to find DIPA fix.

Celebrated my wife's grandfather reaching 102(!) So after some nice bourbon with my father-in-law, having a Lost Abbey Deliverance Ale while watching the Cards at home. Nice ending to a great day. (And grabbed 4 Hands Cash Mony DIPA for tomorrow)

I2bab866fdd2759e9027c3bd848407426.jpgI don't know if I've ever had a better or more interesting beer in my life.Thanks Brad!

That's a damned good one there Ryan. Good looking out Brad. Getting ready to try a new cider myself. BBA out of Michigan, Virtue the Mitten.

7uhu4aha.jpg

Had a Founders Backwoods Bastard followed by a couple of Two Hearted, good day.

Best regards, Tony

The mitten is a solid cider.

Wife and I made a quick visit to Lexington last night. Spent a rainy night at blue stallion.

Had a couple barrel aged beers. Very German centric offerings that were solid examples of the styles. I left starving for hops.

My wife and I shared a 4 Hands Cash Mony - a new double IPA with a "wasteful amount" of hops. 8.5% abv so not overwhelming for a DIPA. Tons of hoppiness to the beer without going too bitter. Two of the major local places are sold out already, I'm hoping there will be more of this beer - it's a good one.

Had a few Heady Toppers last night that I had swapped a Bo & Luke for. I get a few of these every few months and they are always so good. Almost makes me want to move to Vermont. Then I remember I live in Kentucky.

Had a few Heady Toppers last night that I had swapped a Bo & Luke for. I get a few of these every few months and they are always so good. Almost makes me want to move to Vermont. Then I remember I live in Kentucky.

I just had a Heady Topper myself! I was in VT for a wedding and was able to bring a couple back with me. Do you guys get Pliny the Elder where you are? I'm curious if you or anyone else here has done a SBS of those two.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.