What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not bourbon but passed on these three bottles of THH

[ATTACH]19747[/ATTACH]

Because you don't like it or because it was way overpriced?

Passed on Stranahan's yesterday. First time I have seen it in NJ and haven't heard much about it on here.

Passed on Stranahan's yesterday. First time I have seen it in NJ and haven't heard much about it on here.

People seem to have a love/hate relationship with it. I happen to be on the loveb side. It has a tootsie roll flavor with a hint of salt that really agrees with my palate and also takes me back to childhood. I tend to keep a bottle open.

People seem to have a love/hate relationship with it. I happen to be on the loveb side. It has a tootsie roll flavor with a hint of salt that really agrees with my palate and also takes me back to childhood. I tend to keep a bottle open.

It is a malt whiskey made in Denver aged 2 years in a generally temperature controlled warehouse. Used to have at least some of the barley from local Colorado producers but not sure if that is still the case. I think a bit of older whiskey is also blended in each batch.

When it got sold to a larger company a few years ago it got pulled back to just Colorado for awhile. Just now appearing in other states it seems.

Had to post just for the comedy of it, but passed on an ETL Comm. for $699 and for the low low price of $599 Regular ETL. Saw it with my own eyes :slappin:

Had to post just for the comedy of it, but passed on an ETL Comm. for $699 and for the low low price of $599 Regular ETL. Saw it with my own eyes :slappin:

Wow. Just wow. What else is there to say.

Take a picture of that. I need a new wallpaper on my computer.

Because you don't like it or because it was way overpriced?

Oh I like it for sure, just not $300 + tax.:hot:

If you had asked, I'm sure the owner would have told you that since Mr. Lee died they don't make the bourbon anymore so it's one of the last bottles available ever. :rolleyes:

Oh I like it for sure, just not $300 + tax.:hot:

Ouch, that one hurts. Sucks to see it on a shelf only to find out it's gouge priced.

It was reaaaalllllyyyyyy hard, but I passed on a Stagg Jr. for... wait for it... $179. I can only imagine how much the regular Stagg, and Handy were sitting right next to it.

Ouch, that one hurts. Sucks to see it on a shelf only to find out it's gouge priced.

I did feel a little better that it came down in price from $499.99...

Hard to say though with regional price variations. If I held out for PHC at $90 or less, I would never find one. Here in CA, even BevMo (which is usually the lowest price or close to it) has PHC8 at $120. Everything here in CA seems to be $10-20 more expensive. Lucky to find OGD114 for $29 ($33 at BevMo) here. Then I see posts from people in other parts of the country buying OGD114 for $16 or PHC for $80. So, I think it really depends on where you live.

TotalWine seems to be somewhat cheaper than BevMo in CA.

All of its neighbors had price tags on them and the Handy didn't. Red flag.

I went to a couple stores after work since I heard they received some Van Winkle.

Store 1:

4RLESmB for $400

Stagg for $400

Handy for $400

OFBB for $200

ORVW10 for $400

Lot B for $600

PVW15 for $1000

PVW20 for $1500

PVW23 for $3000

Store 2:

ORVW10 for $275

Lot B for $350

PVW15 for $500

PVW20 for $900

PVW23 for $2000

I don't know what all this talk is about Van Winkles being so hard to find. I can find VW easier than I can find ETL.

^^^^^Dang......those prices are brutal.

Tonight, I passed on Booker's for $80 and a host of other typically available bourbons at unusual markups. Times are a changin' for sure, but this store is taking it too far.

I went to a couple stores after work since I heard they received some Van Winkle.

Store 1:

4RLESmB for $400

Stagg for $400

Handy for $400

OFBB for $200

ORVW10 for $400

Lot B for $600

PVW15 for $1000

PVW20 for $1500

PVW23 for $3000

Store 2:

ORVW10 for $275

Lot B for $350

PVW15 for $500

PVW20 for $900

PVW23 for $2000

I don't know what all this talk is about Van Winkles being so hard to find. I can find VW easier than I can find ETL.

Wow...crazy. I picked up OFBB for $35 today. I'm wondering if you can find so easily is because of the prices.

Wow...crazy. I picked up OFBB for $35 today. I'm wondering if you can find so easily is because of the prices.

I actually can't find it easily. It was the first time I have seen it, but for $200, it made my decision pretty easy.

Saw some more HWMWND and CEHTBP today but wanted to save some coin for other releases since I have those already.

Passed on a Stagg Jr., I have two bottles already and should be able to make Bananas Foster for a long time with those.

Best regards, Tony

Store here was selling WSR for $49.99. Said they barely got this and it would be the last for a while. Maybe so, but not going to buy WSR, probably not even W12 for that price. Glad I stocked up a couple of months ago when it was $18.

Store here was selling WSR for $49.99. Said they barely got this and it would be the last for a while. Maybe so, but not going to buy WSR, probably not even W12 for that price. Glad I stocked up a couple of months ago when it was $18.

whats next? allocations and widespread panic over benchmark "8"?

whats next? allocations and widespread panic over benchmark "8"?

A store here was allocating Baby Saz and ETL this week, not even putting them on the shelves. Not quite Benchmark but the trickle-down is apparently in effect.

Not technically a pass, but I was at a large retailer's fall bourbon lottery which included bottles like ETL, OWA and Stagg Jr when these bottles are regularly on the shelf at other mainstream retailers in the area. However, this particular retailer can't get any, so it was a rare "find" for them. It makes me wonder how often this is happening around the country, leading to disproportionately high prices on standard labels that have fairly high production numbers.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!