What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2014/2015

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

According to Josh, Bernie Lubbers at HH has very recently said that OF BIB will continue to be available...but, only in Kentucky, however.

I don't know, every liquor store I go to said they aren't getting any and haven't in several months. We will see. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Store selection standard FRSB. The retailer is relatively new with decent prices and better-than-average selection, and I never pass on a store-selection FRSB anyway. They did a very nice job with this one so I'll be keeping an eye on them.

I had to pass on their full line of Cleveland whiskeys, though (they even had the Christmas stuff still on the shelf).

Not too bad really - all the 4R barrel proofs are $59 here in MI. Actually, I stand corrected. I just checked the liquor commission website and it just went up to $61.60 minimum.

well, considering I bought them for $45 each last year, that's a huge increase!

attachment.php?attachmentid=20300&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=20301&stc=1

pondered in the bourbon aisle forever today, and decided to bring these home. a 7 year barrel proof rye, and an 8 year barrel proof bourbon. they still had the same 8 year bourbon i got a few months ago, but chose to get this barrel instead, just to see the differences. Into the bunker they go, as I have lots of stuff open already. I figure barrel proof 7-8 year stuff is only going to go up from here in price, and down from here in availability, so why not?

post-10005-1448982204231_thumb.jpg

post-10005-14489822042875_thumb.jpg

I figure barrel proof 7-8 year stuff is only going to go up from here in price, and down from here in availability, so why not?

Smart buys IMO Mr. Fox.

Smart buys IMO Mr. Fox.

I second Dusty's comment! I've yet to encounter a SAOS barrel proof bourbon or rye that wasn't at least satisfying (and for the money, most have been a bargain in my book!)

Picked up a Forged Oak yesterday, and initial tastings have me very happy in its purchase. A nice drinkable whiskey.

Picked up a Forged Oak yesterday, and initial tastings have me very happy in its purchase. A nice drinkable whiskey.

I agree. It is my favorite of the Orphan Barrel I have tried. If I can find another bottle at MSRP I might pick up another one.

Got lucky today, local store actually had a Weller12 and their store selection FRSB Barrel strengths were out. After hearing all the good things about them I let an OESO follow me home.

Well it was yesterday, but ...

Weller 12 - first time I found it.

Weller Antique 107

And, while not technically a bourbon, a favorite of mine, Dickel No. 12. Several handles, on sale!

Got lucky today, local store actually had a Weller12 and their store selection FRSB Barrel strengths were out. After hearing all the good things about them I let an OESO follow me home.

And it seems to be the hardest one to come by. I've seen it pop into a few local inventories online, only to be told they didn't actually have it.

I got as far as placing an order for pickup at one chain, but got the cancellation email a few hours later. I saw all the other OB releases on the shelf for quite a while, and still see Rhetoric occasionally.

I purchased a bottle of Jim Beam Bonded and Hirsch Selection: 20 yo American Whiskey for $60. Normally I would not have spent that money on an American whiskey aged in used barrels. However, the suspicion is that this was distilled in either Peoria or Pekin (just down the river), so living in Peoria, it was worth it for the novelty. Even the fact that it was made somewhere in IL is cool.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20305&stc=1

Jason

post-11451-14489822044233_thumb.jpg

I grabbed a mystery 4RSBBS as there is no recipe listed on the bottle, I have always known what recipe I was purchasing so it will be fun to crack this one "blind". This stores barrel proofers are still sub 60 so I figured I should grab it before the next batch at the new pricing hits.

Been enjoying some of the near bottom shelfers for a bit, specifically DN 1843, went and grabbed 2 more. It's good stuff.

I purchased a bottle of Jim Beam Bonded and Hirsch Selection: 20 yo American Whiskey for $60. Normally I would not have spent that money on an American whiskey aged in used barrels. However, the suspicion is that this was distilled in either Peoria or Pekin (just down the river), so living in Peoria, it was worth it for the novelty. Even the fact that it was made somewhere in IL is cool.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20305&stc=1

Jason

I bought one of those a few months ago for the exact same reason.

My wife grew up in Pekin, so I thought it'd be a cool little novelty.

So, after having my order cancelled (again) by one of the big chains, I got a call from my favorite independent.

Said he had been out sick when the Forged Oak came in (which is why I assumed he didn't have any, he would have called).

Told me he had two bottles set aside for me, and a "surprise".

When I got there, he pulled out the two bottles of Forged Oak (One for me, one for my buddy), a bottle of Bowman Vanilla Bean (bought), a bottle of Straight Edge (passed), and a Free bottle of a Port finished Scotch he was thinking about stocking, but wanted some opinions on. Can't beat a free surprise, I suppose.

As I was paying, he told me to look in the box. Turns out the free Scotch wasn't the aforementioned surprise. There was also a 2014 OFBB inside.

Never get pleasant surprises like that from the big chain store...

That makes today's haul:

OB Forged Oak

Bowman Vanilla Bean

OFBB 2014

Scotch I can't remember the name of

So, after having my order cancelled (again) by one of the big chains, I got a call from my favorite independent.

Said he had been out sick when the Forged Oak came in (which is why I assumed he didn't have any, he would have called).

When I got there, he pulled out the two bottles of Forged Oak (One for me, one for my buddy), a bottle of Bowman Vanilla Bean (bought), a bottle of Straight Edge (passed), and a Free bottle of a Port finished Scotch he was thinking about stocking, but wanted some opinions on. Can't beat a free surprise, I suppose.

As I was paying, he told me to look in the box. Turns out the free Scotch wasn't the aforementioned surprise. There was also a 2014 OFBB inside.

That makes today's haul:

OB Forged Oak

Bowman Vanilla Bean

OFBB 2014

Wow....that is a really nice surprise. I'm still on the hunt for the Forged Oak.

Bought the last 2 RHF in one of my go to stores. Last week the shelf was full. They said no more for the foreseeable future... Bought another JJ Bowman for the same reason

That makes today's haul:

OB Forged Oak

Bowman Vanilla Bean

OFBB 2014

On way home from DC, stopped for gas in Elkton, MD and found State Line Liquors. Took home a FR PS OESK. Looking for Firged Oak, so not a bad consolation prize.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.