What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I forget where I read it, but the theory I heard was that this was sourced from Dickel.

That's what I was thinking when I tasted the vitamin thing. That makes more sense.

Drinking from a bottle of Charter 101

Easy there. Duke is only down by 6. Plenty of time left.

Opened the seal tonight on the most special bottle I've bought to date as a celebration for a combo of my B-day and to watch the first of the last episodes of Mad Men. FRSmBb LE 2014. It's awesome.

Following it up with a great store select OBSK.

happy berfday youngmc! Good choice on the FR.

Last of my one and only bottle of Forged Oak. Good riddance. Not bad, just a constant reminder that I paid too much for it (MSRP). Did improve as the bottle drained over the last month but well....just not enough.

The last pour of an OWA barrel pick from Tippin's in Ann Arbor, MI. This bottle started off with a pretty typical OWA profile when I opened it around New Year's this year. Then it opened up as the level went down. But, wow, but did it save the best for the last half. I've heard of jam and preserves as palate descriptors for wheated bourbon. I think that's the best way I can describe the last few pours. I'd put this right up there with an ORVW or PVW15 - it's that good! And I didn't have to chase a delivery truck for it - it's really that good!

The last pour of an OWA barrel pick from Tippin's in Ann Arbor, MI. This bottle started off with a pretty typical OWA profile when I opened it around New Year's this year. Then it opened up as the level went down. But, wow, but did it save the best for the last half. I've heard of jam and preserves as palate descriptors for wheated bourbon. I think that's the best way I can describe the last few pours. I'd put this right up there with an ORVW or PVW15 - it's that good! And I didn't have to chase a delivery truck for it - it's really that good!

I believe it. I have a current bottle of OWA that is better than my ORVW 10yr that I got on a list for and sweated until it came in and I got the call.

Tried Erza 7/101 for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. I did pick up the mint element that is sometimes mentioned here, but that was a feature not a bug from my perspective. I also enjoyed how different it seemed that HH6BiB, which (as I understand it) is from the same distiller, effectively the same proof and only one year younger. I am generally pleased by this one, especially given the under $20 price.

In other news, I have been trying to finish open bottles rather than add to my open bottle count. So far, I have taken out an HH6BiB, a EWBiB, a EWSB2004, a FRSingleB, and a Glenmorangie. The one that is blocking me is a half bottle of JBDC. I just can't drink it and am actually contemplating pouring it down the drain, which is a hard choice for someone as "thrifty" as I am. I also have some dusty 1970s JBW that tastes like wet cardboard which I also can't seem to appreciate as a drinker not matter how many times I try it; a similar drain-oriented fate may await that one too.

Opened the game and a bottle of 2014 OFBB. Not doing a anything for me. On to FRSB. That's better!

My 2014 OFBB wasn't doing it for me when I opened it back in December. Tried it again a couple weeks ago. Completely different and alot better.

Start with 4RSB then I'll move on to WT101. Multiples of each if the week has been long or if the in-laws are coming to spend the weekend (I need the bracer for that).

Tried Erza 7/101 for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. I did pick up the mint element that is sometimes mentioned here, but that was a feature not a bug from my perspective. I also enjoyed how different it seemed that HH6BiB, which (as I understand it) is from the same distiller, effectively the same proof and only one year younger. I am generally pleased by this one, especially given the under $20 price.

In other news, I have been trying to finish open bottles rather than add to my open bottle count. So far, I have taken out an HH6BiB, a EWBiB, a EWSB2004, a FRSingleB, and a Glenmorangie. The one that is blocking me is a half bottle of JBDC. I just can't drink it and am actually contemplating pouring it down the drain, which is a hard choice for someone as "thrifty" as I am. I also have some dusty 1970s JBW that tastes like wet cardboard which I also can't seem to appreciate as a drinker not matter how many times I try it; a similar drain-oriented fate may await that one too.

Mixing it with Coke is an option too. Jack and Crown are the only Whiskeys I usually drink with cola, but a whiskey that does not taste good straight, sometimes makes a decent coctail. I like coctails that taste strong.

tonight I am finishing off a really good bottle of Angels Envy. Gonna have to replace this one real soon.

Big pour of a Four Roses Private Selection OBSO. Hitting the spot tonight!

ogdbib so I can open something new next time since I bought a replacement ogdbib today

Big pours seem the norm tonight and mine is CEHTSmB

Good Stuff Indeed!

Buffalo Trace as I wait for Justified to start. See what bottles we spot in this week's episode.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!