What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got home from vacation. I'm having a couple of pours from my "vacation" bottle of SAOS 7yr. :grin:

ETL Commemorative while watching one of the last few episodes of "Justified".

After 16 hours of mostly travel I got home and poured a healthy glass of Charter 101

Finally able to have a pour or two after being swamped with work and sick the past week (Or was I? my wife thinks it may have been allergies, who knew!)

Started off with SB Blend and now onto EC12.

I must apologize to EC12. I purchased a bottle about a month ago after hearing all the rave reviews. I came home, cracked open the bottle and had my first ever pour. Maybe my palate was off that night but the leather/oak in the finish was too much. Or maybe what I am tasting is spice/pepper. Anyway, that taste just dominated everything. As such, the EC12 bottle was pushed to the back into the abyss of my basement bunker.

Well, tonight, I gave it another shot and WOW!!! up front, I am getting some sweetness. In the back, I definitely get the leather/oak/spice/pepper (sorry, not sure exactly what it is) but it's a pleasant taste, not overbearing, very different from the first time I tried this. Is EC12 one of those bottles where it comes around after being open for a bit?

EC12, I hope you will accept my apology.

Edited by johnnybogey

It felt like a Four Roses night, so I went with an OESF, my own barrel proof small batch, and am finishing with my favorite OBSO.

Is EC12 one of those bottles where it comes around after being open for a bit?

I don't think that EC12 is so much an airtime thing, though I think some airtime does do it good. Simply put, it is an older, oakier bourbon, so it is unique. If you think about some other mid-shelfers like BT, ER10, HMck BIB, SAOS, ETL, FRSB, etc., EC12 is older than all of them. That's part of its allure, considering the value. Plus, it can be variable from bottle to bottle, so you never quite know what you are going to get. Solid bourbon though.

I don't think that EC12 is so much an airtime thing, though I think some airtime does do it good. Simply put, it is an older, oakier bourbon, so it is unique. If you think about some other mid-shelfers like BT, ER10, HMck BIB, SAOS, ETL, FRSB, etc., EC12 is older than all of them. That's part of its allure, considering the value. Plus, it can be variable from bottle to bottle, so you never quite know what you are going to get. Solid bourbon though.

Thanks Jeff. It's definitely on the oakier side but this time, I was also picking up everything else. Very Nice.

OWA over 2 ice cubes...contemplating breaking open the bottle of WSR for a comparison.

Store Select Four Roses OESQ tonight. Tonight I got a little more adventurous with the water, and it's tasting strongly of rye spice, chocolate, and sweet powdered sugar; with some nice oak flavor toward the finish. Getting some interesting coffee flavors at the end. Boy, this is a weird one, but I absolutely love it. One of the better bourbons I can recall drinking, frankly.

Wanted to save some bulleit rye for later from the small bottle so I switched over to my knob creek small barrel 9yr trying to make room on my shelf for more future purchases.

I've got the broken record thing going tonight.......starting with Bowman Brothers SmB, followed by Ezra Brooks 12yr SiB (really liking this one a lot), and capping off the evening with OGDBIB which continues to amaze me with how good it is at the price.

finished off bottles of EC12 and FRSB and then went for some WT101. didn't want to leave bottles sitting around with just one pour left in there.

Couldn't help myself last night, went back to EC12 to start. Very tasty. Then wanted to mix it up with a pour of HWMD and back to EC12.

With my new fondness for EC12, I can't help but wonder what the barrel proofers are like.

For the Spring Months, a few weeks ago, I opened a bottle of Marker's Mark 46 and an older bottle of WLW Centennial 10yo. I like them both, but this is the first time I have ever had the Centennial and it is amazing! So far I have only had a few pours from it and it seems to get better every time.

For the Spring Months, a few weeks ago, I opened a bottle of Marker's Mark 46 and an older bottle of WLW Centennial 10yo. I like them both, but this is the first time I have ever had the Centennial and it is amazing! So far I have only had a few pours from it and it seems to get better every time.

I've never had the Centennial. How close an approximation is the SB Blend to it?

I've never had the Centennial. How close an approximation is the SB Blend to it?

Sorry, I am not sure what the SB blend is.

Sorry, I am not sure what the SB blend is.

SB blend is the straightbourbon created blend (aka "Poor Man's Pappy") of vatting 60% Old Weller Antique and 40% Weller 12. Some do 50/50% ratio.

Some say this is very close to the recipe for Van Winkle Lot "B".

SB blend is the straightbourbon created blend (aka "Poor Man's Pappy") of vatting 60% Old Weller Antique and 40% Weller 12. Some do 50/50% ratio.

The age and proof of the blend closely align to Centennial (much moreso than Lot B), which is why I was asking about the comparison.

The age and proof of the blend closely align to Centennial (much moreso than Lot B), which is why I was asking about the comparison.

Ah, interesting. I had no idea. From what I have read, I thought it was Lot "B".

Thanks for clarifying dcbt.

Okay, I understand now. I have heard of that. If I recall correctly, the 60%/40% blend of the Antique 60% and the 12 yo 40% makes up a blend that is at a hair higher than 100 Proof. Sadly, I have never mixed up a batch of either, so I have no comparison to share with you.

The final pour from my now empty 2013 4RSBLE OBSK and a follow up pour of OESO. Different yet equally outstanding fun SBS last night and a great way to send off the LE.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!