What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I associate HHSS II with cold weather so going with a pour of that on this chilly night (likely last such night for 6 months).

Maker's CS is on the list of bourbons to try, even though regular Maker's is cloyingly sweet to me. I've not had Maker's 46 in a couple years, but recall it also being too sweet for my tastes. Maybe I need to give it another chance . . .

more owa tonight to soothe the sore throat

Edited by fozzy71

Interesting, G. Wheaters can bring out the sweetness as you know, but "cloyingly" takes it too a whole 'nuther level! :lol: I find Regular Makers to be rather on the drier side, particularly as compared to say, OWA. Sweet tinge only on the tip of the tongue for me. The 46 has more of everything as compared to regular Makers, so you may again find it not in your wheelhouse. Like everything in whiskey, everybody has their own take on things. And, everybody wins! :D

OMG just had my first sip of Weller 12...it is great!! I really like OWA but the 12 is soooo smooth, 2nd sip, almost too smooth. Think im on to something! The guy at the store was talking about how good Willett is, not sure just getting started here. I almost bought the OGD114 glad I went with 12.

Though I always find it enjoyable, tonight's pour of Maker's 46 is positively dazzling. Sweet on first sip like regular Maker's, but mid palate and finish is what really separates the two. The 46 really amps up the flavors of cinnamon and Goetze's Caramel Cream candy, and the finish is much bolder and lasting. It's too bad this whiskey isn't given more consideration as one of the better bourbons available, because IMO it most certainly is.

Ryes last night for me.

Opened up the SAOS, sampled it neat, then mixed up a "lazy" Old-Fashioned using Bittermilk #1.

Next, I went with the EHT Rye, and Bittermilk #4 for an Old-Fashioned Rouge.

Both were excellent, as these Ryes both have a strong enough flavor to cut through the sweetness of the Bittermilk mixes. (Although I still do a 5 or 6 to 1 mix, as opposed to the recommended 4 to 1 on the label).

Ryes last night for me.

Opened up the SAOS, sampled it neat, then mixed up a "lazy" Old-Fashioned using Bittermilk #1.

Next, I went with the EHT Rye, and Bittermilk #4 for an Old-Fashioned Rouge.

Both were excellent, as these Ryes both have a strong enough flavor to cut through the sweetness of the Bittermilk mixes. (Although I still do a 5 or 6 to 1 mix, as opposed to the recommended 4 to 1 on the label).

sounds like a great night, my buddy calls it "magic potion" cuz of how awesome it is with Rye.

4RGS OBSF its been a few weeks and my return to this one was just as enjoyable as the last time, this one is a toffee bomb, HUGE flavors long luxurious finish, damn JR picked a winner with this one!!

CEHT Cured Oak. Im really loving this release.

Nicely done... hope to get my hands on this.

Got a sample of GTS from a fellow SB'r a few weeks back and tried it then but held back another sip for later. It's later... Very smooth for a high proof bourbon and the cinnamon I'm getting is terrific.

WT101, yeah baby. After what has been a week of Mondays getting the weekend off on the right foot!

Though I always find it enjoyable, tonight's pour of Maker's 46 is positively dazzling. Sweet on first sip like regular Maker's, but mid palate and finish is what really separates the two. The 46 really amps up the flavors of cinnamon and Goetze's Caramel Cream candy, and the finish is much bolder and lasting. It's too bad this whiskey isn't given more consideration as one of the better bourbons available, because IMO it most certainly is.

It's been a couple of years at least since the last time I've had this one, might just do a revisit if I see it again.

Well, today went over to the SLS, they have some MM46 at $36.99. Is it really worth that price? I had a reason why I never bought this one again. I can think of a bunch of bourbon's at and below that I consistinaly buy over again.

I decided to try something unusual. In some of the odd stuff I've collected, I have a bottle of Old Bardstown 101 that I got in KY almost ten years ago. It has been sitting this long because I opened the 90 proof version as soon as I got home from the trip. I didn't much care for the 90 proof Old Bardstown. It tasted like Evan Williams with a bitter tannic aftertaste. So the 101 ended up sitting around for years. Anyway, the 101 turned out the be much better than the 90. It also tastes like HH juice. This time carmel and toffee, no bitter aftertaste. It's nice, but I wouldn't take a chance buying a pig in a poke with another bottle.

KC followed by a little Baker's for dessert because it is so rich and creamy. The 107 pr. helps cut the sweetness just a little. At "only" 7YO, it is also not as oaky as the KC. Love 'em both.

A small snifter with a 2 finger pour of MM46. My local has it for $34.95, which is 5 bucks less then normal, so I bougbt a couple. I still wish it was closer to $30 then $40, but I still think it is a dang tasty bourbon.

Allergies kicking in enough that I'm picking up some things, but not others - just enough to mess with my vibe. So decided I would try to just knock that sh!t down with my last pour of GBS OBSK (well, this bottle). Take that sinuses! :drinking:

post-7689-14489822147684_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!