What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight's the first OUTDOOR grill session for 2015 - chicken, not beef (her choice, not mine). Getting ready by finishing the last inch of an open 750 of JBB 8yr. Dunno what I'll have with dinner; probably an Algeria - Pisco, Cointreau, brandy, OJ. Sleeping after dinner, of course.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
added outdoor for clarity

Poured Mrs. F. a blind tasting of Kirkland's, KC, and Baker's. She nailed 'em. Was tempted to add Booker's to the list but thought that was way, way too obvious.

Started with Makers 46 and moved on to a private selection of ER10 by Harlan Wheatley for Shoppers Discount Liquor. Bought this years ago - before the craze. A true honey barrel. A subtle candied orange component that is blowing my mind. I was too new to bourbon at the time to realize I should have bought a case.

OWA while grilling chicken and burgers. Snow piles gone. Grill open. Spring is in the air, even if the air is 38 degrees. MM46, ER10 and OWA. Happy dude.

I had a couple different pours while watching basketball. First up was ECBP cut to 113.6 with standard EC12. The second is a 10yr OBSK 112.8. I'm a huge Heaven Hill fan, but tonight the FR is creamier, sweeter, more candied. Just an outstanding bourbon.

Thanks guys for the nice notes about our cat. I know a lot of you are pet lovers yourselves and really, good pets and bourbons go together don't they? Wether it's your dog sitting by you on the porch or by the fire, or a great cat sitting on your lap as you sip your favorite pour, it's a privilege to have a loyal friend share those moments with you.

Tonight I'm toasting her memory with some Stagg.

A win at my 5k race this morning and by the Sparty's in the afternoon called for cracking open the bottle of Blanton's.

Barrel #393 dumped on 12/30/14

After a 7 hr drive coming back from seeing the grandkids, thought I deserved a great pour. A private selection OBSQ at 59.9% ABV is doing the trick very nicely

A pour of Henry McKennaBiBSB, a pour of Old Forester BiB, and a pour of FRSB. Although I'm a fan of HH products, I find the McKenna offering mediocre. The FRSB is rich and creamy.

My kingdom for a case of J.W. Dant.

After a 7 hr drive coming back from seeing the grandkids, thought I deserved a great pour. A private selection OBSQ at 59.9% ABV is doing the trick very nicely

Having some Willett Pot Still Single Barrel Reserve, not much left to this one.

Finally tried some SAOS, reminded me quite a bit of FR Single Barrel. Might have to get a bottle.
Fred Minnick posted an article on Whisky Advocate's website claiming that SAOS uses the same yeast as the standard four roses SB (V), since it's from the Seagram's days. Given that their higher and lower rye mashbills are pretty similar to Four Roses, and they release bourbons at similar ages, I am surprised more people don't notice similarities. I definitely do.

Fred Minnick posted an article on Whisky Advocate's website claiming that SAOS uses the same yeast as the standard four roses SB (V), since it's from the Seagram's days. Given that their higher and lower rye mashbills are pretty similar to Four Roses, and they release bourbons at similar ages, I am surprised more people don't notice similarities. I definitely do.

Isn't all the OS line still MGP?

Normally, I don't drink in restaurants because the prices are inflated. However, on the road with my wife for an IKEA trip in Cincinnati. We hit Champp's in West Chester tonight and since she was drinking and we are on a road trip, I decided to participate. The menu was light so I opted for Bulleit Rye. However, they didn't have it so I asked if they had anything that wasn't on the menu. Interestingly, they had a lot that wasn't on the menu (e.g., Four Roses, Blanton's, Jefferson's Presidential). I opted for Blanton's which they comped at the same price as the Bulleit ($8). The pours were pretty solid since they felt bad not having Bulleit :lol: The manager told me that it took 5 months to go through the last bottle. I told him that I understood and then asked for another Blanton's. :grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!