What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Spring 2015

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up an OESF from Blackwell's Spirits in SF, sight unseen (or tasted), because I am in the home stretch of the "Recipes Project" and am getting antsy, plus, the last time I spent hours driving around Portland trying to find the last three recipes it was an exercise in frustration. At one liquor store, they had one of the recipes picked for a local store, but you "had to have permission" to buy it.

Now, if I'm lucky enough to get the OBSO a friend's group picked out that was distilled on my birthday, I will only need OESV!!!

Picked up an OESF from Blackwell's Spirits in SF, sight unseen (or tasted), because I am in the home stretch of the "Recipes Project" and am getting antsy, plus, the last time I spent hours driving around Portland trying to find the last three recipes it was an exercise in frustration. At one liquor store, they had one of the recipes picked for a local store, but you "had to have permission" to buy it.

Now, if I'm lucky enough to get the OBSO a friend's group picked out that was distilled on my birthday, I will only need OESV!!!

Congratulations! You've almost completed the quest to 4R nirvana (and just in time, the way prices are increasing)!

I hit a local for the first time in a month or so, and snagged a store select HMcK BIB as well as a few rye's (including almost bourbon Ritt).

Please excuse but not knowing, but what in the hell does that mean?

Let me know if you find the OESV in Oregon or Washington. That's the recipe I'm really trying to find.

Please excuse but not knowing, but what in the hell does that mean?

I'd guess it means the owner picked who he was going to sell it to, most likely his favorite customers. The bourbon industry is kind of flipped upside down. Customers don't pick retailers. Retailers pick customers.

Retailers pick customers.

Eff them and the horse they rode in on.

Apologies, my mood is not the best.

I should clarify, in our state you can track every bottle of liquor by searching a registry.

If you order a barrel, it has to go through that registry, so sometimes things appear on there that aren't necessarily for sale. Like, if you had a bar and wanted to sell your barrel by the glass, its not going to do you much good if the liquor store is selling it at cost. So its not as bad as it sounds, but certainly an awkward hassle checking at each liquor store which Barrel Strength Four Roses they have. You get a different version of baffled each and everytime.

Picked up an Evan Williams Single Barrel 2005. On the same shelf was the 2006 too... I swear the 2005 just came out!

Didn't buy but traded some bottles for a Jeff 21 and PVW15. Not sure which one to open first.

Picked up an Evan Williams Single Barrel 2005. On the same shelf was the 2006 too... I swear the 2005 just came out!

Are you sure? It's kind of a thing to release it early every year on the actual year.

The 2004 and 2005 both started showing up in November or December I think.

Really? 2006? I guess they aren't even going to be close to 10 years anymore.

That was my thought. Though they never had an aged statement on the bottle, it was pretty much always a 10 year bourbon.

Are you sure? It's kind of a thing to release it early every year on the actual year.

Absolutely positive, I should have taken a picture. I try to collect a bottle from every year and had yet to buy a 2005 for my collection because it had just hit the shelves. When I saw the 2006 today, I quickly snagged a 2005 while I still had a chance.

Snagged a few OC10s and SW OF Prime from rundown place I stopped by on the way back in town. Definitely a good day.

Picked up another bottle of Weller 12 today for only $19.99. Probably should have gotten more....

Good deal. Head on back for a few more!

Good deal. Head on back for a few more!

Yes, indeed. Minimum price here is $29.99 but I have yet to see one since I started looking for it. I am going to see if one of my stores can order it in.

Picked up an OBSF, 11 yrs 7 mos. It is my 6th recipe, 4 to go. Still able to get these for $50 in NJ.

I also saw the 2006 EWSB. My thought was that they are taking advantage of the boom. If you know you are going to sell a less aged bourbon for the same price as before, it makes sense to release it.

Edited by Golzee

Picked up a couple of bottles of OF Signature at $25 (first OF Sig I've bought in a while), a back-up WT 101 handle at $40, and a HW Bourye at $70. The Bourye is pretty ample in NJ right now, so I figured I'd try a bottle. It was also nice to see ETL and RHF on the shelf again, but I am stocked up on each, so did not purchase.

Picked up a few bottles today, FRSM, EWSB 2005, Ezra B 12 year, 2 bottles of Weller 12. I am trying to have some restraint when I go out to pick up a few things. Came across some SAOS 7 and 10 year, but I passed. I have a 7 year and really like it, just getting to many bottles.

I have come to a moment and time where I will only bunker weller 12, EC12, Elmer T Lee, and some of the FR recipes. Those are my go to pours, so I will stock up.

Gary

Wasn't looking to buy really, but I saw a FRSB BP OBSQ for $46.99. Couldn't believe it; couldn't pass it up.

Wasn't looking to buy really, but I saw a FRSB BP OBSQ for $46.99. Couldn't believe it; couldn't pass it up.

In pretty much the same vein, I picked a FRSB BP OBSO on sale for 49.99. Couldn't pass it up at that price when seeing most private selection barrel proffers going for 60-70 lately.

Stopped at a random store after I got off the expressway 30 miles away to kill a few minutes in hopes of getting lucky with something new. Nothing really unusual I haven't seen before so I grabbed a BT since I haven't had one in a while.

Made an interesting purchase today. I was looking for something cheap to use to make my barrel aged manhattans. My local guy told me that Jim Beam Black was on sale: 99 cents for the little 50 ml airline size bottle. Ended up buying 15 of those (same as a 750) for $14.85. On the shelf the actual 750 was 26 and some change. Also picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye for the manhattans.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!