What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Spring 2015

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jim Beam Distillers Masterpeice (heavily discounted), FR SB and Blanton's. The FR and Blantons is for a work colleague who stocks his office bar with inexpensive scotch and Irish whiskey. The bourbon will improve his drinking options dramatically. :)

Picked up two Old Grand Dad 114 today. I have never had it, but it seems to be well liked, so I'll try it!

Buying two bottles of a mainstream bourbon you have never tried instead of just one... That's a sign of whiskirexia nervosa. You've been warned.

couldn't decide what to pick up today between a Henry McKenna BIB 10yr, EWSB, JBBIB and OC8... ended up with the HM10BIB.

couldn't decide what to pick up today between a Henry McKenna BIB 10yr, EWSB, JBBIB and OC8... ended up with the HM10BIB.

You made the right choice. That stuff is hard to beat. It's delicious!

Has anyone ever got a "bad" bottle of HM10BIB? Everyone on here seems to be a fan. I love HH6BiB and like EC12, so I figured I would at least like and maybe love HM10BiB.

But, the one I have seem like all oak and nothing else. I don't really like it. I know they are all single barrels, so each one is different, but I am still wondering.

Has anyone ever got a "bad" bottle of HM10BIB?

I can't say I've had a bad one. I've been through 6 or so recently and have loved them all. However, what I've learned is no two palettes are alike so if you don't like it don't try to force it. Many people like WT but for me it just doesn't fit to my tastes...

HMcK BIB is an enigmatic bourbon for me. Sometimes I love it. Sometimes it just doesn't do it for me. This has arisen within the same bottle, and from bottle to bottle. It's not an easygoing bourbon, so it can be polarizing. Stick with it though, or try a different barrel. It can be very good.

Not a bad one, no, but a few disappointments. I suppose the brand is consistent as other single barrel marques but it's not on my current to-buy list. In fact Henry McKenna 10 year is the reason I've backed off any HH Bourbon bottled at more than 8 years old. Just more wood influence than I like.

The one bottle of McKenna that I had was great about 1/4th of the time, meh for another 1/4th, and perplexing for the other 1/2. I decided it's not one I will try again. (Famous last words I know.)

I actually just picked up another store selection of HMBIB. I love it. My store selected two different barrels more than a year ago and just now sold out of the first barrel. It's not a fast seller around here. I've yet to have a bottle I didn't like. I do agree it can be "oaky" but I'm a huge fan of the dry oak flavor that I get from HMBIB.

I didn't get a chance to open the bottle of HM10BIB last night since we went out, but I'll probably do so tonight and see how I like it. hopefully I got one of the better bottles. I'm not a fan of inconsistency between bottles, if I get a bad bottle I wouldn't want to go back for another. thanks for the info guys! I'd been holding off on getting a bottle of this for a while.

Picked up an ETL today. Really nice to see a half dozen on the shelf as that hasn't been the case for a long while.

Most of my recent bourbon purchases have been private selections and a few dusties, but today I decided to revisit a few old favorites. I went with a W12, OGD114, and Fighting Cock 6 yr, all less than $25 each, and none that will disappoint.

Bought a bottle of Blanton's (bottled 2/11/15, barrel 681, rick #1), a bottle of Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection 12 y/o floor #9, and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 2005 version. I have so many open, that these won't be opened for some time (we shall see how long I can wait:grin:). The reviews were mixed in the Experimental Collection, but wanted to try it, and it was marked down.

post-11331-14489822278501_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!