What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Spring 2015

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Really? Ok then. Didn't realize there was a batch 4 yet. thought the proof was so close that it was just a variation.

Really? Ok then. Didn't realize there was a batch 4 yet. thought the proof was so close that it was just a variation.

I think this is batch 4? My two bottles of Batch 3 are 132.1/66.05%

Made an interesting purchase today. I was looking for something cheap to use to make my barrel aged manhattans. My local guy told me that Jim Beam Black was on sale: 99 cents for the little 50 ml airline size bottle. Ended up buying 15 of those (same as a 750) for $14.85. On the shelf the actual 750 was 26 and some change. Also picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye for the manhattans.

Picked up a Buffalo Trace today. First bottle for me. My go to bourbons have been Bulleit, WSR, and Dickel 12. Stand outs on my bourbon journey include HMBiB, Angels Envy, W12, and Blantons. The BT was quite tasty and verrrry smooth. In hind sight, I wish I had started with this and moved to other pours. As it is, its almost tame compared to some things I have tried. Still I can see this added to my list of everyday drinkers and it will totally replace the WSR in the line up. 12 ruined the SR for me except as a mixer....

Picked up a Buffalo Trace today. First bottle for me. My go to bourbons have been Bulleit, WSR, and Dickel 12. Stand outs on my bourbon journey include HMBiB, Angels Envy, W12, and Blantons. The BT was quite tasty and verrrry smooth. In hind sight, I wish I had started with this and moved to other pours. As it is, its almost tame compared to some things I have tried. Still I can see this added to my list of everyday drinkers and it will totally replace the WSR in the line up. 12 ruined the SR for me except as a mixer....

Stagg Jr. batch 3 x2, ECBP hazmat, and a standard EC12. It was a good day.

I can check. what am I looking for on the etching?

With the label facing you, somewhere, along the bottom inch or so, usually to the right side of the label, but not always. So check all around the bottom inch or so of the bottle. You will find, in small print a letter number combination. On the one I recently purchased, it's printed "B14 199 0849N". I posted that on this forum and someone, I forget who right now, was kind enough to advise that it was Batch Two. I do not know how to figure that out, but if you post that ID on this forum, someone will advise you which batch it represents.

I too picked up a new Stagg Jr. It's a first for me and at $45 I couldn't pass it up. Heavily digging it. If it was around all the time it'd have a permanent home in my cabinet.

Fighting Cock, 6 yr AS. Left multiple NAS FC bottles on the shelf. How the hell did this NAS thing happen so fast.

I must have passed up a hundred AS bottles recently. Fortunately, I have a couple more in the bunker already.

Picked up a MMCS thanks to a fellow SBer.

Is there a source for defining the abbreviations people use on this board? I can figure out some on my own, but a lot of time I am just lost.

Is there a source for defining the abbreviations people use on this board? I can figure out some on my own, but a lot of time I am just lost.

I know there is one somewhere but it is really embedded somewhere. It should be a sticky in the new user forum; I thought this was it but it looks pretty barren:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

Poke around and try using google with "site: straightbourbon.com\forums" in your search (the search feature here leaves a lot to be desired.)

Edited by dcbt

Picked up a bottle of MMCS while in Toledo for the Glass City Marathon this weekend.

Beside picking up 2 bottles of PHC Wheat, a EVSB, Barrel and a 1792, I found this old dusty. Ten High Ten, Ten year old age statement, straight Kentucky Bourbon, distilled by Barton.

It's interesting and not half bad, light on the finish, but drinkable and at $11 a bottle, I think I'll get the other 3 just for novelty sake, but I can't post an image of the bottle, so there's that.

The link that dcbt gave just below your OP is the only one I know of. Seems like it may need to be updated, since there's a lot of new stuff on the market since 2006 when that post was written.

MMCS = Maker's Mark Cask Strength

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!