What Bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2015

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Driving from NJ to DE, I made a few stops. Saw lots of the NAS IW Harper and Stagg Jr (Batch 3). Also passed on some MWND Act 2.2 at $80, and EWSB2002 at $25 (already have a few from the same barrel).

The 2 most interesting to me were the old label HMK BIB, barreled in 2001 and a Bookers, Batch C00-A-20. Does the 00 in the batch number mean it's from 2000?

Passed on weller 12 for $99.00

really pissed me off to the point that I don't think I will be spending any more money there.

really pissed me off to the point that I don't think I will be spending any more money there.

Ouch. That's almost double the UK price!!

Crazy, that is more than triple the state min price here in MI (if you can find it on the shelf that is).

Passed on a store select Garrison Bros single barrel for about 100. Just not a big fan of GB, but from what I hear it's gotten better in recent years. Still not worth a 100 dollar gamble tho.

I wish YOU would have tried it. I think we feel kinda' the same about their past releases, but this one keeps tempting me, with it's fancy silver wax...

A buddy of mine just got one of the Specs GB SB. I'll have a chancre to try it in a day or two and I'll post some tasting notes

I have been to a couple stores like that in my neck of the woods...$80 for Stagg JR one time; well guess what? I ain't back, ever. $99 for Weller 12 is gouging and not worth your time returning back to the store and let the owner know. Just my ¢2...

Willett 8-year for $120. I'll take the SAOS for less than half the price instead.

I passed up Barterhouse for $100 clerk said he'd cut me a deal and give me $10 off...to many bad reviews or not glowingly positive reviews for me.

I passed up Barterhouse for $100 clerk said he'd cut me a deal and give me $10 off...to many bad reviews or not glowingly positive reviews for me.

Of the Orphan Barrel offerings, I found Barterhouse the best (I didn't taste all of 'em... only 3)... or should I say the least offensive for the cheese I had to fork over. At that time, a year or so ago, $70. I wouldn't pay that again, though. Waaaaaaay too many better pours for less bux.

Not bourbon, WP at 79 and the port finished WP at 115. I was tempted by the port finished, but giving up proof points to the standard? Nah, I'll blend my own...

All of them which is very easy to do if you don't go in the store. Two months into not purchasing anything in order to put a dent in my bunker and now I made the mistake of reading the post about SAOS rye running out.

Monday's agenda is to pick up a couple of bottles to go with the three I have left. I do wonder if I can go in, pick them up, and leave without anything else.

To be continued.

Not bourbon, WP at 79 and the port finished WP at 115. I was tempted by the port finished, but giving up proof points to the standard? Nah, I'll blend my own...

Not to mention that the port finished WP is MGP, so it won't have the same profile as the standard either.

All of them which is very easy to do if you don't go in the store. Two months into not purchasing anything in order to put a dent in my bunker and now I made the mistake of reading the post about SAOS rye running out.

Monday's agenda is to pick up a couple of bottles to go with the three I have left. I do wonder if I can go in, pick them up, and leave without anything else.

To be continued.

Have strength my friend. (If you waver, none of us will judge you.)

Rant alert... Went into one of the big box LB's today. Passed on everything and ended up walking out with a couple of travel pack humidor sets of cigars.

I really don't mind that LB has become the 'Disney World' of liquor stores. But my God, I actually have gotten to the point that I can't stand hearing the sales people in the aisles singing the praises of WPS, Chestnut Farms and other various dog and ponies to the tourists! You would think that stores this large could at least acknowledge the distillers who actually distill the damn whiskey!:hot:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Rant alert... Went into one of the big box LB's today. Passed on everything and ended up walking out with a couple of travel pack humidor sets of cigars.

I really don't mind that LB has become the 'Disney World' of liquor stores. But my God, I actually have gotten to the point that I can't stand hearing the sales people in the aisles singing the praises of WPS, Chestnut Farms and other various dog and ponies to the tourists! You would think that stores this large could at least acknowledge the distillers who actually distill the damn whiskey!:hot:

Completely understand what you are saying.

I passed on Old Barterhouse, Saz 6, ETL, CEHT Rye, and a bunch of other stuff I wanted to buy. Trying to hold out until Fall.

To be continued.

Sounds like a good plan! If you are going to reenter the buying game after a break, this is a good reason. I have also been on a short hiatus as I clear out the bunker. However, I am thinking I need to add a few of these to the bunker as well. I don't know of any SAOS BPs in the Indy area so I will have to settle for some the 7 year 99 proof.

Completely understand what you are saying.

I passed on Old Barterhouse, Saz 6, ETL, CEHT Rye, and a bunch of other stuff I wanted to buy. Trying to hold out until Fall.

Even when there is nothing exciting, holding out can still be difficult. I usually have a brief mid-summer buying spree and then wait for the Fall. Of course, if something piques my interest... :cool:

I passed on ER 10 at $34.99.

I'd already bought a bottle at $24.99. :grin:

Cheers! Joe

rhetoric 21 @ $74.99. i want it just because its 21 year old bourbon but i wont get it because it's not very good.

As a Buckeye, I actually like going to Liquor Barn. They have so much wonderful stuff that is unavailable in OH and some other control states. Of course, I gave up listening to any of the staff at virtually any liquor store a long time ago--except for "What aisle is the bourbon on?" I don't know much but I do know when somebody knows less about it than I do.

rhetoric 21 @ $74.99. i want it just because its 21 year old bourbon but i wont get it because it's not very good.

This is a key insight that escapes many. Older is not necessarily better and getting the oldest is not always "winning." Good thinking.

Nice price for a 21 yr old bourbon. What don't you like about the whiskey?

Passed on some ECBP 128 proof at $63. I have a few bottles of various batches and want to hold off on spending for a little bit.

Also, I am seeing so much IW Harper around. I will continue to pass on that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.