What Bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2015

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 Evan Williams 2004 SinB at $28. It's the first time I have seen it. I have seen many 2005. Not sure if that is a worthy purchase. Is that a good run and a fair price?

same price here in Chicagoland area.

4 Evan Williams 2004 SinB at $28. It's the first time I have seen it. I have seen many 2005. Not sure if that is a worthy purchase. Is that a good run and a fair price?
$30 here in MI. I love my 2004 I opened. I have an '05 and '06 unopened.

Just poured another of this as it has been a week or two and I can confirm it is a nice pour for $30 and under. I havent tried the cheaper EW stuff but I have a BIB downstairs to try soon that is calling my name.

I believe it is a pretty fair price. My take on these is that each year the flavor decreases somewhat. My first was 2002 and every year since I've enjoyed less and less.

My guess is that if you enjoy the 2005 you will also enjoy the 2004.

I believe it is a pretty fair price. My take on these is that each year the flavor decreases somewhat. My first was 2002 and every year since I've enjoyed less and less.

I found an 02 last summer and it was incredible. Nothing has compared since, though they have never been bad.

EWBiB is a great pour for $13. Its a regular sipper at my place

Just poured another of this as it has been a week or two and I can confirm it is a nice pour for $30 and under. I havent tried the cheaper EW stuff but I have a BIB downstairs to try soon that is calling my name.

I passed on AAA10 star. I just can't get myself to buy plastic bottles. This is the first time I have seen and I have read great things on here about, but the plastic bottle stopped me. Also passed on the VOB, first sighting also. Store said its good mixers if friends come over.

So so this is for the group, do I need to get over my plastic bottle issue?

gary

Personally, I greatly prefer AAA 10 to the 10* which, to me anyway, is better suited as a mixer. However, you owe it to yourself to go back and grab a bottle of VOB which is excellent in its own right, as a mixer or straight up.

passed on a blade & bow 22 year for $160, owner said he'd drop to $150, but that's still too much. he also had the regular one for $45 and a pass on that as well.

passed on a blade & bow 22 year for $160, owner said he'd drop to $150, but that's still too much. he also had the regular one for $45 and a pass on that as well.

Those are actually pretty good prices compared to retail prices elsewhere.

Those are actually pretty good prices compared to retail prices elsewhere.

that's true, but not interested in any diageo products at this point.

I have thought the same thing. Do you think this is due to the bourbon getting younger?

Passed on Blood Oath, everything Willett, MMCS, WPiggy NWM (waaaaay overpriced), and (drumroll please:grin:)...........Forgiven.

I have thought the same thing. Do you think this is due to the bourbon getting younger?

Passed on a Jeffersons Groth Cask at $129, and a Jeffersons barrel finished Manhattan at $59. The sales guy really hyped up the Groth Cask saying "Specs sold out in 20 minutes", and it was the last one in all of Texas. I must be lucky, seems like I keep hearing that about stuff I'm stumbling across.

Passed on Makers CS even though the price has been lowered again. Asked the owner if the brand was moving and he said when it first came out it sold quickly at $70 per. Recent shipments aren't selling though and the price is now $53.53. I speculated everyone in our small town that wanted one has already bought one.

Passed on Makers CS even though the price has been lowered again. Asked the owner if the brand was moving and he said when it first came out it sold quickly at $70 per. Recent shipments aren't selling though and the price is now $53.53. I speculated everyone in our small town that wanted one has already bought one.

If they can get it below $50 I might make it part of my regular rotation.

I've passed it up @ $60 a 750ml. I think it should be priced about the same as MM46. All the extra handling that goes into finishing MM46 vs. about 11 more proof in the MMCS. On a related note, a couple of weeks ago, a drug store had regular MM @ $20 and change if you bought a case. Then I remembered that I think MM is just ok (and I have other stuff stockpiled).

I've passed it up @ $60 a 750ml. I think it should be priced about the same as MM46. All the extra handling that goes into finishing MM46 vs. about 11 more proof in the MMCS. On a related note, a couple of weeks ago, a drug store had regular MM @ $20 and change if you bought a case. Then I remembered that I think MM is just ok (and I have other stuff stockpiled).

Got mine at Costco for $50 a week or two ago and that seems fairly reasonable, though closer to $40 makes more sense to me. I'm a fan of MM, and though I've enjoyed the first few pours of the cask strength, I rather doubt I will buy another bottle even at the $50 price point.

If they can get it below $50 I might make it part of my regular rotation.

I don't think they'll have a choice. As Squire said the novelty is wearing off.

There's been a full shelf of it at my local for over a month. It's not moving, but neither is the price. Still $70 and an easy pass.

It really hasn't gotten much younger, though (with the exception of 2006). I had a bottle of 2001 that was 9 yrs 10 mos and a bottle of 2005 that was over 10 years.

It is probably just the profile difference then. My favorite of the recent years was 2003. I have seen the 2006 but haven't tried one yet.

Passed up ETLs today for...drumroll please...$50. Silly prices.

That is borderline gouging, even the $39.99 most places were selling it in my neck of the woods was high...

That is borderline gouging, even the $39.99 most places were selling it in my neck of the woods was high...

My 2 bottles were $35, a far cry from the $200 I have seen it for in pics on this forum

Edited by BourbonGuy

I passed up 4R SmB @ $19.99 and regular EC @ $24.99. The EC is the new label with the 12 year in small print on the back. Those are really decent prices. I'm slowly going through stuff I've collected over the years, got to make some room.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.