What Bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2015

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed up 4R SmB @ $19.99 and regular EC @ $24.99. The EC is the new label with the 12 year in small print on the back. Those are really decent prices. I'm slowly going through stuff I've collected over the years, got to make some room.

gosh, those are awesome prices. I just picked up EC12 for $26.99 and thought that was a great price.

Was at one of the big chains today and saw 4RSmB for $39.99 and 4RSB for $42.99. I hope that's not going to happen at the other stores.

Was at one of the big chains today and saw 4RSmB for $39.99 and 4RSB for $42.99. I hope that's not going to happen at the other stores.

Wow! I have heard rumors of price hikes but that is beyond reasonable! I know where the $19.99 4RSmB is hiding. So, I might have to grab a few bottles. It is a nice summer pour.

It must be price-hike season because I saw some scary things today I passed on:

$50 something for Woodford Rye (!)

$40 for Ezra B 12 year

Blood Oath looked kinda sad on the shelf even though I wanted to mock it.

ETL (it is everywhere now, after being nowhere for the past year)

ECPB (don't know which batch number, I have enough bunkered already)

MMCS in both 375 and 750 (first time I have seen it, but don't care for MM enough to be interested)

W12 (like ETL, it was nowhere for a year but now can be found)

Fighting Cock 8-year (tempted since it is now NAS, but passed anyway)

WT Diamond (nope)

WTKS from 2007 (tempted but nope)

ORVW10, Lot B and PVW15 at 650/700/1100 (satisfying to see them not moving at these prices)

I assume the big chains means B** R** & P** L***. :bs: Those places jack the price way up on anything that are at all limited in supply. I've seen a few items fly under their radar, for how much longer I don't know. I know plenty of other places to go.

I assume the big chains means B** R** & P** L***. :bs: Those places jack the price way up on anything that are at all limited in supply. I've seen a few items fly under their radar, for how much longer I don't know. I know plenty of other places to go.

Actually, it's a different chain than you might expect. It's named after a certain legal change that happened in the 1930s. It's particularly surprising because they had 4RSmB *on sale* for $22 or $23 a few months ago.

Fighting Cock 8-year (tempted since it is now NAS, but passed anyway)

I haven't seen an 8 year FC in a long time. It switched to 6 years several years ago and now is NAS like you said. If it were me I'd definitely go back and grab it.

I haven't seen an 8 year FC in a long time. It switched to 6 years several years ago and now is NAS like you said. If it were me I'd definitely go back and grab it.

My mistake, it was 6-year age stated. I would certainly grab an 8-year as that is a genuine dusty in my estimation.

Stagg Jr for $90 and ECBP for $70. Found a new store not to shop at.

Wow,

got one bottle for $52.99 and another for $59.99, but $90 for Stagg Jr is outrageous...

Stagg Jr for $90 and ECBP for $70. Found a new store not to shop at.

Can I ask what store? I'm not to far from ypsi, I want to try ecbp but im not having any luck finding a bottle.

Passed on a Stranahan's Diamond Peak Whiskey today. Was tempted to try it, but haven't read much on it, and I seem to recall hearing some negative things about it.

I also passed on a Stranahan's Diamond Peak today, but I wasn't that tempted. Actually for various reasons I passed on a lot of stuff that was tempting - ETL, RHF, new BT Experimental, Noah's Mill (been a long time on that one, think I'm willing to give it another shot.) Trying to slow down my purchase rate. That said, grabbed an ECBP, hardly ever see that around here.

More Elmer craziness. Got a call from a local store and they had one bottle for me. The lovely clerk warned me that there has been a sharp increase in the price because it's so rare. Again here we go. Drumroll please.....$65!!! I politely told her I bought 3 in Atlanta for $29, $32 and $35. She said that was crazy and they must not know the bourbon market. Can we say gouging???

More Elmer craziness. Got a call from a local store and they had one bottle for me. The lovely clerk warned me that there has been a sharp increase in the price because it's so rare. Again here we go. Drumroll please.....$65!!! I politely told her I bought 3 in Atlanta for $29, $32 and $35. She said that was crazy and they must not know the bourbon market. Can we say gouging???

You know, even ignoring my [too] many other bottles, if I told anyone outside of this forum that I have 7 bottles of ETL in my basement, they would think I was crazy. But stories like this are why I did it. I bought several store select single barrels at under $30. That's my supply for quite some time. If a store wants to charge $40 or $50 or even $60 for a bottle of ETL, I ain't buying.

Yep. I have six bottles stashed in the basement for this very same reason.Won't pay more than $40 for it and it's getting harder and harder to find beneath that price.

I'm down to about 6 bottles myself. What concerns me is the bottle I opened a couple weeks ago no longer appeals to me like it did a year ago.

When I go back to restocking the bunker I need to rethink my multi bottle purchases.

Driving from NJ to DE, I made a few stops. Saw lots of the NAS IW Harper and Stagg Jr (Batch 3). Also passed on some MWND Act 2.2 at $80, and EWSB2002 at $25 (already have a few from the same barrel).

The 2 most interesting to me were the old label HMK BIB, barreled in 2001 and a Bookers, Batch C00-A-20. Does the 00 in the batch number mean it's from 2000?

Passed on a store select Garrison Bros single barrel for about 100. Just not a big fan of GB, but from what I hear it's gotten better in recent years. Still not worth a 100 dollar gamble tho.

Blade & Bow 22, ETL at $40, IW Harper 15, Whistlepig boss & old world, ardbeg perpetuum.

Regretfully passed up 1792 and KCSmB. Not because of price as much as the fact I already had 4 other bottles on the counter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.