Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

Theres a special place in hell for you.

When the frat bros roll in and want my opinion on whether Woodford or Crown Apple is a better trade up for mixing in their Coke, I'm not super worried that they're going to have a poor experience with something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

When the frat bros roll in and want my opinion on whether Woodford or Crown Apple is a better trade up for mixing in their Coke, I'm not super worried that they're going to have a poor experience with something else.

Truth

9 hours ago, namadio said:

Theres a special place in hell for you.

9 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

If they are selling this junk to the frat houses, then they are doing the Lord's work. Keep it headed that way and you have no quibble from me.

• I like it 2

I've been slowly buying up old label Austin Nichols WT101 handles from a ratty store connected to a gas station.  Stopped in there today for the last one to find they restocked and raised the price.  Alright...$39.99 is still good even though I liked $35.99 better.  Slightly annoyed by the owner pretending he didn't didn't remember me buying all the others at the lower price.  Decided to pull the trigger on a WTKS dark brown top bottled 11/01/2006 as well.  They have a few, so I figured if it's a good barrel I'll go back for the rest.  

After I paid and got into my car I wanted to look at the WTKS again being 10+ yrs old.  Holding the bottle up in sunlight it looked like a snow globe....full of white flakes :blink:.  The cork and seal seemed perfect, but I wasn't willing to roll the dice for $50.  I took it back in and the other bottles were the same.  Got a refund and he put the bottle back on the shelf.  More of a bummer than anything.

• I like it 1

I've been slowly buying up old label Austin Nichols WT101 handles from a ratty store connected to a gas station.  Stopped in there today for the last one to find they restocked and raised the price.  Alright...$39.99 is still good even though I liked $35.99 better.  Slightly annoyed by the owner pretending he didn't didn't remember me buying all the others at the lower price.  Decided to pull the trigger on a WTKS dark brown top bottled 11/01/2006 as well.  They have a few, so I figured if it's a good barrel I'll go back for the rest.  

After I paid and got into my car I wanted to look at the WTKS again being 10+ yrs old.  Holding the bottle up in sunlight it looked like a snow globe....full of white flakes :blink:.  The cork and seal seemed perfect, but I wasn't willing to roll the dice for $50.  I took it back in and the other bottles were the same.  Got a refund and he put the bottle back on the shelf.  More of a bummer than anything.

What possible sources are the flakes from? Is there tartaric acid that could precipitate out or is it usually cork or what?

So, at the side job at the liquor store, we seem to always have a few brands where the company must get a stupid good deal on 375ml bottles, to the point where two are cheaper (sometimes substantially) than a 750. At the moment, both Jack D and WT101 are like this. At best, I'm noticing I can only convince half the folks schlepping a 750 to the front counter to switch to the cheaper option and save a few bucks. I'm sure there are situations where you NEED a 750, but it's sure not half the time...

3 hours ago, TexanBrad said:

What possible sources are the flakes from? Is there tartaric acid that could precipitate out or is it usually cork or what?

I researched it a little bit before I returned the bottle.  The most obvious culprit would be the cork.  It could be a mineral such as calcium in the water they used...having a reaction to being stagnant for so long.  Being in a temperature controlled environment I don't see how it could be related to chill filtering. 

I would have liked to open the bottle in store and purchase if it tasted normal, but the Indian guy wouldn't go for it.  I've found a few similar instances where WT customer service replaced a bad bottle.  There's no shortage of other bottles I want to purchase, so I just passed to avoid disappointment.  It would make for a cool story if it was a honey barrel that just needed to be run through a coffee filter.  ;)

Back when Jefferson 10 year Rye was available non-chill filtered; I could really tell a big difference comparing the filtered to the non-filtered in bright light.  The bottom third or so of the NCF bottle seemed a little hazey.  I'm not sure I'd call it a snow gobe.  To me the NCF was much tastier.

I've also heard of people finding little black pieces of barrel char in BTAC Stagg.

I don't know if WTKS is filtered or not.

57 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I've also heard of people finding little black pieces of barrel char in BTAC Stagg.

Every single bottle I've ever emptied has black powder at the bottom.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

I researched it a little bit before I returned the bottle.  The most obvious culprit would be the cork.  It could be a mineral such as calcium in the water they used...having a reaction to being stagnant for so long.  Being in a temperature controlled environment I don't see how it could be related to chill filtering. 

I would have liked to open the bottle in store and purchase if it tasted normal, but the Indian guy wouldn't go for it.  I've found a few similar instances where WT customer service replaced a bad bottle.  There's no shortage of other bottles I want to purchase, so I just passed to avoid disappointment.  It would make for a cool story if it was a honey barrel that just needed to be run through a coffee filter.  ;)

I might be willing to risk it if I can get north anytime soon and compare to my other old KS and the one I have from a 2 yrs ago ;D  LMK

• I like it 1

On 4/4/2017 at 4:50 PM, TexanBrad said:

uhhh touche.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Well look at you Mr. Luckypants. :P  

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

4 hours ago, flahute said:

22 minutes ago, Sluffo said:

Well look at you Mr. Luckypants. :P  

Hell, I'd be disappointed if there wasn't any char left in an empty Stagg or WLW^_^

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hell, I'd be disappointed if there wasn't any char left in an empty Stagg or WLW^_^

Cheers! Joe

As would I! 

On 4/6/2017 at 2:55 PM, PaulO said:

I don't know if WTKS is filtered or not.

There are none of those little yummy bits in my WTKS.  Checked 5 bottles of Stagg Jr because the label brags it is uncut, unfiltered. None in them either.

Edited by Flyfish

During my dusty hunt on Saturday I had a few "HUH" moments.  

The first one was the guy that had two bottles of ORVW 10 on the top shelf behind the register.  I said, "I'll bite.  How much?"  He said they were his personal bottles that he liked to display in the store and that he had turned down $900 for one of them.

The second moment came when I stopped at the next store and there, behind the register, on the top shelf, was the goal of my search, 7 or 8 bottles of ETL.  I thought hallelujah,  finally a store with some ETL.  On closer inspection I noticed the price listed below the bottles $100.  The clerk asked me if I was interested in anything and I said, ETL, but not at that price.  She smiled . . . I walked out.

The third store really didn't have anything that I couldn't live without.  Talking to the guy I told him what I was looking for.  He showed me a few but when he got to the Town Branch and really started talking about how good it was, I told him I already had a bottle and it was just OK.  At that point I realized he probably was just pushing stuff that he had a lot of in stock.

On 4/5/2017 at 5:28 PM, Nm0369 said:

On 4/6/2017 at 11:36 AM, Nm0369 said:

Hey Nm0369, I too ran across some old Austin Nichols handles and am having a hard time reading the dates on the bottom of the bottle.  I feel like mine say it was from 2006 also but really can't tell and will have to re-check these bottles again.  I had a hard time finding the specific bottle I have online.  Do you have a pic of what you were able to snag?

Thanks

3 hours ago, kuras1017 said:

Hey Nm0369, I too ran across some old Austin Nichols handles and am having a hard time reading the dates on the bottom of the bottle.  I feel like mine say it was from 2006 also but really can't tell and will have to re-check these bottles again.  I had a hard time finding the specific bottle I have online.  Do you have a pic of what you were able to snag?

Thanks

Handles have a two digit number on the bottom that indicates the year. I bought four handles from one store that are all marked "09".  I don't fully understand the laser code, but I assume the last four digit number is the time they rolled off the line.  Two of mine are 1237 and two are 1239.  It makes sense if they were packaged as a case.

IMG_0594.thumb.JPG.d8f16611166e7425f93db2f81ff1abf9.JPG

DEFAAED6-8B5D-4605-AF1E-4B6BE39E4B5F_zps

A recent good "huh" moment.  Walked in and the employee said they had a 375ml of MMCS for $9.99.  I don't even like it but bought it and gave it to a friend who is trying to explore whiskey.  Also picked up Aberlour 16 for $50.

Most other moments are when you inquire about certain whiskies and then they go on about well "Brand X" is great...nice, but I've tried it and didn't particularly like it.  Probably the easiest stores to deal with are the ones that just kind of commiserate with you about how hard it is to get some of the stuff in.  Those places I'll usually pick something up that while I don't "need", wouldn't mind having a spare bottle in the bunker.

• I like it 1

I hadn't been to one of my favorite Liquor Stores in about 6 months. I walked in the other day and was just checking out what they had in stock, when a new employee came up to me and said, "Have you tried the "Bubba's Flavored Bourbon? - we highly recommend it."   As I stood there looking at the bottle of swill disguised as bourbon whiskey, the owner (who knows me) came up to the employee and said, "Don't try to sell that to him, this guy knows what good bourbon is".  The employee replied, "Sorry boss, I tried" and walked away. 

Made me feel good that the owner acknowledged that I knew my stuff when it came to bourbon!

Edited by starhopper
  • I like it 2

Went into a store last night that had some head scratching prices. A lot of the prices were comparable to other stores in Atlanta, but others for example OF1920 which is easy to find here was $79.99, or 20 more than everyone else.

• I like it 1

Went into a "tourorist" trap the other day, the place has a 'no return' policy. Behind the glass was a bottle of Buffalo Trace Millennium in it's box open, and on its side. Going for an easy $5,999.99.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Liquor Barn earlier this week and picked up a bottle of OF Single Barrel and the first bottle of Baby Saz I had seen.  There was a guy checking out behind me and he was showing the spirits manager some photos on this phone of his bourbon.  I started talking to him and looking at the pictures (W12, Old Ripy, ETL and a bunch of bottles I would love to taste).  We kept talking as we were walking to our cars and I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't even find some of the bottles he had.  That's just about the time he told me, and I still can't believe it, that he doesn't drink at all, he just likes collecting bourbon.  Somehow I fought off the urge to call him an idiot and just got in the car and drove away.

• I like it 2

On 3/1/2017 at 8:25 PM, DeepCover said:

No thanks...

<_<

image.jpeg

Anyone notice the suggested retail price on the WLW is $699 you save $100 and on the THH $875 for a whopping $276 in savings. Ha