What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been enjoying ER10 PS this evening.  Too many pours.....HaHa.

Final pour, OGD 114

Very different bourbons, but good in their own way.

Cheers

Cracked the wax on a Blantons tonight - quite nice, and hopefully will improve with some air (although it was just bottled last Tuesday - so it hasn't been cooped up for long!)

Last couple ounces of a 2009 GTS.  Kinda have a love/hate relationship with that last half oz - love the chewiness (and watching the char bits swirl in the glass), but the grit makes it a little oak dominant for me.  

'14 WLW from a 100ml bottle poured off of a full 750 a couple of weeks ago.  Why did I wait so long - wonderful, delicious stuff!   :D   

4R OESV to start while sitting by a fire and Buffalo Trace to finish. Good night to relax with a couple of great bourbons!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

KCSB. It's been awhile but this is a really nice whiskey with just the right amount of kick and much less burn than I'd expect at 120 proof. It's also deliciously sweet. Add in that's it's on sale this month at $32 and it's a winner across the board: price, flavor, proof. 

Edited by Charlutz

Started with Pikesville 110 and then Blanton's. I feel obligated to have a Blanton's on the shelf but truth be told it always seemed a bit boring to me for how mellow it is. I do appreciate what it must take to make such a refined whiskey and tonight in particular it is very nice. I may need to go to it more often, or at least as often as I visit with its more preferred by me siblings, ETL and RHF

Started with 4RSiB while grilling out followed by HWAP, FC103, and finally an OGD 114 in honor of the KING Mr. Palmer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

More ER 10 for me tonight.  May Arnold Palmer rest in peace, while his memory always remains close to us.  A true gentleman, always... he was...  

Knob Creek 9-year, thinking of the greatness of Arnold Palmer as I slow-sip the soon-to-be-removed age statement of KC.

Having a nice pour of ECBP that I picked up today for $49. One of the few advantages of living in a control state. When you do find something it is at msrp

Edited by Hrchokie

Well, as to the 'enjoying' part of the thread title... that would have to be relative in my current situation.

I decided to open a fairly newly purchased bottle of Kentucky Vintage before the 4-or-5-year-old (or so) one was entirely gone with the idea in mind to compare the two.

(A recent thread contained herein speaks of the deterioration of the brand, so an interest was kindled.)

I held no particular love for the older one; but it was a decent pour, albeit not a fabulous bargain for the cheese required.    Anyway, the new one went head to head with good-but-not-fabulous older one.    The older one was an easy winner.     It still reminds of HH6-year (powered down a bit).     The new one was not in the same ballpark at all.      I can't say it was even close to any HH stuff.  

Sadder; but wiser, I wonder now whether to decant the older one into a 4-ounce bottle to preserve the older profile for future tests. 

What the heck am I saying????? 

I'll just drink it soon enough, and decide what, if anything to do with the newer one ..... alas.

2012 GTS. After watching the debate, figured I needed the strongest whiskey I have.......

Finished off a bottle of OE101 7yr. Not doing it for me on this final pour of the bottle. This is odd. I've enjoyed this bottle generally and typically the last pour of a bottle is spectacular - especially if I haven't been fond of said bottle. I think some WT101 is in order next.

Home from a late volleyball match. Ooof, out of shape right now and sore so some OESQ is what's prescribed to help me relax.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Well...last night it was a pour of SAOS 7year. Still not doing it for me. I was hoping with some time open, it would improve, but so far it hasn't. I followed that with a healthy pour of George Dickel Barrel Select while I watched the debate. 

Edited by BDanner

Last night I enjoyed a vatting of two parts Stagg Jr and one part each of ECBP and KCSB.  For me this brings out the best of all three.  

10 minutes ago, kyrocklover said:

Last night I enjoyed a vatting of two parts Stagg Jr and one part each of ECBP and KCSB.  For me this brings out the best of all three.  

A very similar recipe I do quite often is equal parts Stagg Jr, ECBP, and MMCS.  Add an equal part water for a mid-90s proof version.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.