What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Do you ever plan out your evening of pours?  I rarely do, usually just let it flow as I feel it.  But today I set out the agenda in my head.  After a local Octoberfest from Oak Highlands Brewery, I treated myself to half ounce pours of '13 GTS and '13 WLW under the pergola by the pool on this fantastic fall afternoon.  I had to stay home from work today because our day care lady was sick, so been running around with the toddler all day.  Long story short, I'm exhausted, so now it's Red Bull time.  After this quick upper break, it'll be back to the downers to finish off a bottle of Revelation Rum, which will finally rid me of my excess rums from my bar.  Which will let me get back to bourbon in the form of finally opening my store select 1792 Full Proof small batch single barrel (PS1792SmBSiBFP anyone?)  After that, I'll leave the agenda and just let it flow as I feel it.

Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel.  Pretty tasty stuff, warm vanilla caramel.  At 100 proof, I think it's just about perfect.  

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

Do you ever plan out your evening of pours?  I rarely do, usually just let it flow as I feel it.  But today I set out the agenda in my head.  After a local Octoberfest from Oak Highlands Brewery, I treated myself to half ounce pours of '13 GTS and '13 WLW under the pergola by the pool on this fantastic fall afternoon.  I had to stay home from work today because our day care lady was sick, so been running around with the toddler all day.  Long story short, I'm exhausted, so now it's Red Bull time.  After this quick upper break, it'll be back to the downers to finish off a bottle of Revelation Rum, which will finally rid me of my excess rums from my bar.  Which will let me get back to bourbon in the form of finally opening my store select 1792 Full Proof small batch single barrel (PS1792SmBSiBFP anyone?)  After that, I'll leave the agenda and just let it flow as I feel it.

Sometimes I will come home with a plan, like "I feel the need . . . the need . . . for WHEAT" - and will line up some MM, W12, OWA, and WLW.  Other nights, I know I may only have ONE pour if it is late, so I'll look for the high-proof stuff.  Other nights, I'll open my spreadsheet and filter/sort to see what I haven't visited in a while, or what is a low fill bottle.  And finally - some nights I just open the cabinet and whatever looks sexy gets a spin :)

On topic - started tonight with some small samples of JB Bonded & JD Silver Select before pouring some dusty OF.  While I like OF, the dusty stuff has a creaminess I really miss in the contemporary offering.  And since moved on to some OGD 114.

And ending on some 2013 FRSmBLE (love that 125th!)

Edited by GaryT
Adding another pour :)

Enjoying a pour of 2016 FR SmB. Had some Bull & Bush OESF earlier. Felt like a FR kind of night. Both were fairly large pours. If I'm not stumbling, I may reach for some OBSK later.

20 minutes ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

Enjoying a pour of 2016 FR SmB. Had some Bull & Bush OESF earlier. Felt like a FR kind of night. Both were fairly large pours. If I'm not stumbling, I may reach for some OBSK later.

Same for me after a really nice pour of WTKS (Big Red pick). The Turkey was really singing tonight and gave the Roses a run for the money. 

Same for me after a really nice pour of WTKS (Big Red pick). The Turkey was really singing tonight and gave the Roses a run for the money. 

I'm with you on that. I've noticed an uptick in quality of WT private/store picks recently. I hope the trend continues.

Started with SAOS7 which never fails to disappoint and then wrapped up with a bowman bros small batch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Diving into an excellent FRSB private selection (the 100 proof variety) that I found recently. This one is just over 9 years old and very solid. Makes me wish I had picked up more of the 100 proof store picks when they were around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GBS 1792 full proof, shared a couple samples with friends and decided that it looked too damn good to not enjoy a pour myself to usher in the weekend and the cooling temps of autumn. Deep delicious flavors and wonderful mouthfeel, LOVE this bourbon and that single pour magically morphed into two. 

16 hours ago, beasled said:

Dipped into the bunker for a Wild Turkey 12. This is an incredible pour. 

Cheers all!

2016-09-30_22.09.31.jpg

Very nice!  I have just one bottle left and can't talk myself into opening it.

26 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Hard To Taste it through that cork, though; ain't it???    Keep telling yourself; "It's only enjoyable IN The Glass, not the bottle".     ...Unless you're one of those guys who skips the glass and goes for the 'straight into the mouth bottle dump'.

I've never had the chance to taste this one, but I got his younger brother.

Cheers! 

IMG_7559.JPG

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

Luckily I have a few bottles bunkered so I'm not feeling the pain yet. it is seriously good, though. Might just be the best I've had. 

Enjoying a pour of CEHT SmB, and raising a glass too Jeremy who couldn't take the bottle home :)  

IMG_0620.JPG

Its doesn't matter what I'm drinking...... I'm by a fire and John Conlee is playing on the radio. 

Redermption Rye/Dolins Manhattans on ice before dinner of charcoal grilled ribeye with artichoke heart/arugula salad.  After dinner, dessert for me is Buffalo Trace.  Its candy apple finish, at least for me, is a perfect end to dinner.

A blend of Lot 40 and Mellow corn. Opposites, but they are playing nice in the glass.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting the night with a KCSB PS at 11 years old. You can really taste the oak in this one. Amazing what two extra years can do. It works wonderfully in this one and is an amazing iteration of the KC line. It's going to be hard to come down from the oak and age of this one so I'm looking at ECBP or GTS as a follow up.

2 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Doing SBS. With ECBbl proof, batches #8, 11, 12. Gonna be fun. 

image.jpeg

Fun test . All similar, as siblings always are. But as with siblings, each very different. For this SBS, tonight only, rankings:. Winner-batch #8, batch #11 came in 2nd. 

Batch #8 has more dark red fruit and not as "hot" as #11.  

Your results may vary, mine might also, next time. 

-Cheers

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Doing SBS. With ECBbl proof, batches #8, 11, 12. Gonna be fun. 

image.jpeg

NICE!

Bowman Bros Small Batch as I'm watching the Ryder Cup. These fellas are playing some great golf and I'm thoroughly enjoying the competitive nature of the matches while all thoroughly enjoying a good bourbon. Simple flavors in this one and good richness with a somewhat short but still satisfying finish... Just a great way to enjoy my Sunday afternoon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.