What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a 1792 Port.  Ironically I wasn't a huge fan of this when I sampled it last year (I liked it, but thought it was perhaps a bit heavy-handed on the port).  Reading my review notes ("I’d love to see this with a bit less port with more of the bourbon spice showing up"), I thought "Hey - with some 1792 FP, maybe I can tone down the port while cranking up the bourbon!"  

So I'll admit - I bought this bottle for mingle experimentation [emoji4]  Going to start off with a 50/50 and see how that hits me.

Uh, I could've GIVEN you most of a bottle to do that with bud. ;)

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Me too...probably always unless it somehow gets dropped, knocked over or otherwise spilled out someday. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Paddy said:

Came across a lonely handle of EC (with the 12 year age statement on the back) to add to the bunker.  Those puppies are as scarce as anything Weller around here now... 

Nice find!

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

6 hours ago, T Comp said:

Me too...probably always unless it somehow gets dropped, knocked over or otherwise spilled out someday. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys - good to know (for future reference, when I get an itch, I'll throw out some feelers for donations!)  Going to try the 50/50 sample tonight.  

Found a bottle of ECBP. Probably paid a bit too much at $65.98+tax but it was the first one I'd ever seen in the wild.

18 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Found a bottle of ECBP. Probably paid a bit too much at $65.98+tax but it was the first one I'd ever seen in the wild.

Goes for $60 here normally so you did just fine.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Like flahute said, 65 isn't bad at all--they cost 60 out here in East Texas--so don't feel bad. 

15 hours ago, GaryT said:

Picked up a 1792 Port.  Ironically I wasn't a huge fan of this when I sampled it last year (I liked it, but thought it was perhaps a bit heavy-handed on the port).  Reading my review notes ("I’d love to see this with a bit less port with more of the bourbon spice showing up"), I thought "Hey - with some 1792 FP, maybe I can tone down the port while cranking up the bourbon!"  

So I'll admit - I bought this bottle for mingle experimentation :)  Going to start off with a 50/50 and see how that hits me.

Good idea, I have an open bottle of the Port finish that I don't care to drink.  I may want to copy your idea.  I'd be interested in your results after you've had time to test it out.

Good idea, I have an open bottle of the Port finish that I don't care to drink.  I may want to copy your idea.  I'd be interested in your results after you've had time to test it out.

You all are making me dread opening my bottle of port.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Some people like it, but for me it's too heavy with the port flavor to enjoy it very much.  However, I did enjoy Angels Envy when I tried it once.  I found it more balanced.  Ironically I purchased the 1792 Port thinking it was a less expensive alternative to AE.  It didn't work for me.

Don't dread it, there are always nay sayers whatever you buy. I have several and love it, you just might.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Thig said:

Don't dread it, there are always nay sayers whatever you buy. I have several and love it, you just might.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Indeed.  I love the 1792 Port Finish.  I was actually talking to my dad and sister about this last night and I think I need to track down a couple more bottles for Christmas gifts to them. 

Went ahead and bought a couple bottles of Rebel Yell 10 year Single Barrel.  I love the Heaven Hill wheater profile, so it isn't much of a risk.

If I didn't have a bottle, I'd have no issues with paying up to 80 for ECBP. Everyone I've had has been on par with a good bit of the LE stuff that hits the market. So I agree with everyone else, that price is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a family size bottle of EC12 this weekend. I already have some stashed away but figured a little more couldn't hurt.

25 minutes ago, Spade said:

Picked up a family size bottle of EC12 this weekend. I already have some stashed away but figured a little more couldn't hurt.

Lol @ "family size" :)

stopped into a random grocery store to pick up some milk and they had a decently sized liquor section so I decided to see what they had.  most stuff was overpriced like Maker's 46 for $45 and a few other items $10 more than it should be, but then I saw the SAOS single barrel cask strength, it was an 11 year but only at 104 proof... pretty low for a cask strength, but it was marked at $44.99 so figured, hey, why not pick this up and try it out.  usually this is at Binny's for $60, so I left pretty happy with the find.

Had a local ABC Store Manager come through for me with a bottle of WLW!  Tell myself I'm not going to hunt but then every year I wind up doing it anyway.  Got itat state price which makes it even better

Ask and you shall receive.  Asked about ECBP, and was told he had them in the back and he would grab one for me. 

The manager told me if he put them out on the shelf, someone would buy them all and turn around and put them on the secondary market.

It is a Release #8 @139.8 proof from mid-2015.  Also picked up a Henry McKenna 10 year Single Barrel BIB.

Total price out the door for for both with tax was $95.  It has been a good day!

2 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

stopped into a random grocery store to pick up some milk and they had a decently sized liquor section so I decided to see what they had.  most stuff was overpriced like Maker's 46 for $45 and a few other items $10 more than it should be, but then I saw the SAOS single barrel cask strength, it was an 11 year but only at 104 proof... pretty low for a cask strength, but it was marked at $44.99 so figured, hey, why not pick this up and try it out.  usually this is at Binny's for $60, so I left pretty happy with the find.

That is a great price. I had a low proof 11 year that was great.  Went through it quickly but luckily have another in the bunker.  I hope you enjoy yours.

Picked up my current go to at the local grocery store. $30. Eagle Rare usually sells out quickly at total wine.

IMG-20161010-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.1cf757665

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

That is a great price. I had a low proof 11 year that was great.  Went through it quickly but luckily have another in the bunker.  I hope you enjoy yours.

Yep. Great price, and I too hope you enjoy it.

Col EH Taylor small batch bottle in bond. I got it last Thursday, and just finished a pour of it.

Another buyer for ER10 for two reasons....1. Great reviews on here lately 2. Anything with an age statement is becoming rare....it's just a matter of time it seems before they all are NAS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.