What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 minutes ago, Hop said:

I usually go to this one but last year he didn't publish what he had or prices - couldn't fit into the store even after getting there a 1/2 hour early and after I heard the price for EC18 was $185 before tax I left immediately - this year I didn't even register

Funniest thing was that of the "consolation" items several were available at the store within 1/4 mile for much less and sitting on the shelf... :) I just laughed and poured more RHF

They lost some customers last night. It's a poorly run event for sure. Oh well!

9 hours ago, dcbt said:

Grocery stores carrying liquor?  Never seen such a thing...  I'll take your word for it, though. 

In Missouri, every grocery store and gas station sells some form of beer, wine, and hard liquor every day of the week.

I'm often frustrated when traveling at how hard it is to get a drink in some places...

Passed on Michters 20 year yesterday @ $600.00  Just don't believe the juice is "that" good....especially when I can get Barterhouse for $80.00

Edited by 0895

On 11/29/2016 at 4:30 PM, Madhatter said:

Hey, BeardedProf.  I tried to private message you.  If not a problem turn on your ability to receive messages.  Thx.

Hey MadHatter. I just saw this. I apologize for the late response.

I can't see a way to private message so maybe Virtuoso is right and I need to post more in order to PM.

Not sure if you can just post in the thread or not, but let me know I can give you my email if its really private.

1 hour ago, BeardedProf said:

I can't see a way to private message so maybe Virtuoso is right and I need to post more in order to PM.

Just a gentle reminder to read this post.

On 12/5/2016 at 11:15 PM, JT3NSB said:

lottery this eve would had 300 folks ready to pay about that tonight.  SC free market pricing.....

For the "lucky" 12 or so people of the 300:

VW-

10 yr old 91.99

12 Spec Reserve 115.99

13yr Rye 170.99

15yr old   175.99

Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr 300.99

Pappy Van Winkle 23yr 529.99

A local store is having their annual raffle/lottery tonight, paired with a tasting.  They limited it to 300 people.  I've already seen like 5 requests on Facebook to buy someone else's tickets to the event. 

I like the way this store does it for the most part but at the same time, this will probably be the 3rd year I don't "win" anything.  

Anyway, here's their list:

24 - ELMER T LEE SINGLE BARREL 90 PROOF - $49.99

3 - EAGLE RARE 17YR OLD BOURBON  90 PROOF - $99.99

6 - GEORGE T STAGG BOURBON  144 PROOF - $99.99

7 - THOMAS HANDY SAZERAC STRAIGHT  RYE WHISKEY 126 PROOF - $99.99

8 - WILLIAM LARUE WELLER BOURBON 135 PROOF - $99.99

2 - SAZERAC RYE 18 YEAR  90 PROOF - $99.99

25 - OLD RIP VAN WINKLE 10 YEAR 107 PROOF - $79.99

23 - VAN WINKLE 12 YEAR SPECIAL RESERVE LOT B 90 PROOF - $99.99

4 - VAN WINKLE 13 YEAR RYE FAMILY RESERVE PRIVATE STOCK 95 PROOF - $149.99

9 - PAPPY VAN WINKLE 15 YEAR  FAMILY RESERVE 107 PROOF - $119.99

7 - PAPPY VAN WINKLE 20 YEAR - $229.99

7 - PAPPY VAN WINKLE 23 YEAR OLD FAMILY RESERVE - $399.99

I guess I'm putting this in the "passed" thread because, like I said, I likely will not get the chance to buy anything.  Could really use that BTAC though.

Jason

Saw some HW Midwinter Nights Dram but at $100 just a touch too much right now. Got most of a bottle sitting on the bar so hopefully will see this elsewhere cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On December 8, 2016 at 4:06 PM, DROB said:

HWMWND for $249 and Weller 12 for $149 per 750.

Wow that's pretty bad. 

Passed on ECBP and EC18 at the Bourbon Heritage Center. 

1 hour ago, RocAFella1 said:

Wow that's pretty bad. 

Passed on ECBP and EC18 at the Bourbon Heritage Center. 

How much is ECBP there? 

I passed on a dozen WSR and dozen OWA at $22 and $27 respectively, because I was busy stocking up on $25 OGD 114 from one of my favorite stores.

I bought three OGD 114 when the shelf was full on Wednesday evening.  I returned Thursday for another four OGD 114, and all the Weller had sold out.  

LOL, I like OWA, but have a few already, and other buyers totally ignored the bottles of 114.

Edited by Kalessin

30 minutes ago, RocAFella1 said:

$74.99 limit one per person. 

Man I hate to say this, but you need to get a bottle unless your already stocked. I'll admit to only paying $45 to $55 per bottle, but have also been putting these in the bunker for nearly 2 years. With all the "craziness" going on in bourbon right now $75 for ECBP still sounds good. Just my thoughts...

Yeah, my last retail purchase was $65.99 plus tax some where between $70 and $75.  I would have probably bit the bullett at that price.

53 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

Man I hate to say this, but you need to get a bottle unless your already stocked. I'll admit to only paying $45 to $55 per bottle, but have also been putting these in the bunker for nearly 2 years. With all the "craziness" going on in bourbon right now $75 for ECBP still sounds good. Just my thoughts...

I have a few bunkered at around $60 per bottle and would grab a few except for the fact that I think it will be harder to package them to ship/fly home. I forgot to take note of batch # except that I know it is not batch 12 (136 proof). 

I passed on that fancy bottle of Bulleit 10 located in the new glass case at the local Kroger.  It is next to a few flavored whiskeys and blended scotches.  Outside the case are several better and more expensive options.  I suspect the stock clerk figured it was special because it is in a nice bottle.  Sometime, I might ask them to open the case just so I can hold the bottle. :D

Edited by mbroo5880i

Passed on Wm Larue Weller at $400.  Easy pass because of the ridiculous price, but still very disappointing because I was really hoping to score a bottle of WLW this year.  The situation just gets worse every year ....

19 hours ago, RocAFella1 said:

I have a few bunkered at around $60 per bottle and would grab a few except for the fact that I think it will be harder to package them to ship/fly home. I forgot to take note of batch # except that I know it is not batch 12 (136 proof). 

Being out of town & flying does change things. Glad you have a few bunkered.

Passed

8 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Being out of town & flying does change things. Glad you have a few bunkered.

I went back and looked and they were all batch 11. I will go back and grab one if I have space. 

Passed on Old Fitzgerald BIB for lack of space. Is it any better than Larceny?

4 hours ago, RocAFella1 said:

Passed

I went back and looked and they were all batch 11. I will go back and grab one if I have space. 

Don't think you'll be terribly disappointed in passing on OFBIB if Larceny is available to you. Larceny is a bit more refined but they're not dramatically different. I like them both but, sadly, neither are available here.

13 hours ago, RocAFella1 said:

Passed

They aren't available here either. I've tried both a few times, but not enough to recommend. Most BIB are pretty solid though. As far as ECBP Batch 11. Pick it up! Very Good.

I passed on Toogies Invitation for $67.99. Couldn't find it for anything when I wanted it. Now that I'm PO'ed at Beam the darn thing turns up.  Regardless, I don't think it's worth $67.99 let alone $100. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.