What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I hit Total Wine in Maple Grove, MN for a semi-annual bourbon buy. I am a troller of the bottom to mid-shelf and love getting full flavored bottles for good prices. I picked up 2 1L JW Dant BIB, 2 750's OGD114, a 1.75 of WT101, 1L JB double oak, 1L  JBBIB, a 750 of HMBIB10, and a 750 of Old Ezra 7 year old.  9 bottles for a grand total of $190. Sometimes it is worth coming out of the woods and going to the big city. For those interested, the OGD114 was only $17.99!  It should be a good winter of sipping in North Central MN!  

I hit Total Wine in Maple Grove, MN for a semi-annual bourbon buy. I am a troller of the bottom to mid-shelf and love getting full flavored bottles for good prices. I picked up 2 1L JW Dant BIB, 2 750's OGD114, a 1.75 of WT101, 1L JB double oak, 1L  JBBIB, a 750 of HMBIB10, and a 750 of Old Ezra 7 year old.  9 bottles for a grand total of $190. Sometimes it is worth coming out of the woods and going to the big city. For those interested, the OGD114 was only $17.99!  It should be a good winter of sipping in North Central MN!  

Great haul and now I get the Grain Belt moniker. I've been trying to decide between Dant and JTS Brown for my next bottom shelf experiment. Would be curious to hear how you like the Dant when you get to it. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Great haul and now I get the Grain Belt moniker. I've been trying to decide between Dant and JTS Brown for my next bottom shelf experiment. Would be curious to hear how you like the Dant when you get to it. emoji106.png

I have not had the JTS Brown but I have been a fan of the Dant for a while. I cracked a Dant  with my dad and uncle last evening. Both are in their 70's and have sipped their share of bourbon and enough for a few others also????  My uncle told stories of getting into Dant while stationed briefly in Memphis in the late 50's. We had a great time talking smart. It may have been that I was with two of my favorite people in the world or it was some damn good bourbon, or a strong combination of both. I noted some butterscotch, fair oak, and a nice viscosity. My dad's palate registered as "Damn good stuff, you sure it was only $15?"  Uncle Bernie told some good dirty jokes so I am going to speak for him and say he thought it was an honest pour too. Not to get too phillisophical, but as someone who has everything from Pappy 15 to GTS '13 to JBBIB available, I think bourbon is about sharing a pour and having fun. If an honest man offers me a pour of JB white or EWB, we are going to have a good time. If he offers me a pull of Dant, we are going to have a blast.  I will also watch him at the poker table because the sumbitch knows what he's doing with his cash. 

Hi everybody, i'm so happy right now, finally, i scored a bottle of EH Taylor Barrel Proof. Can't wait to taste this monster. 

Cheers! 

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Hi everybody, i'm so happy right now, finally, i scored a bottle of EH Taylor Barrel Proof. Can't wait to taste this monster. 

Cheers! 

That's one I have been looking for since this past summer and still haven't seen one. I'm jealous. 

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers! 

It's a very good one. Enjoy!

8 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

That's one I have been looking for since this past summer and still haven't seen one. I'm jealous. 

Very hard to find in Europe, i got lucky. 

6 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

It's a very good one. Enjoy!

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers! 

NICE!! I can't find one in the U.S.!

ECBP 136 @ $74.99.   I caved.  I have not spent more than $60 on ECBP to date, but I have not seen one in over a year.  Have read some solid reviews of this batch and rationalized that I could easily spend $15 bucks on gas hunting one down.

Hunting results for today -- taste testing the Old Charter 101 and the Evan Williams 1783 even now.  The 1783 was only 12.99....crazy.  

IMG_2999.JPG

17 hours ago, Grain Belt said:

I have not had the JTS Brown but I have been a fan of the Dant for a while. I cracked a Dant  with my dad and uncle last evening. Both are in their 70's and have sipped their share of bourbon and enough for a few others also????  My uncle told stories of getting into Dant while stationed briefly in Memphis in the late 50's. We had a great time talking smart. It may have been that I was with two of my favorite people in the world or it was some damn good bourbon, or a strong combination of both. I noted some butterscotch, fair oak, and a nice viscosity. My dad's palate registered as "Damn good stuff, you sure it was only $15?"  Uncle Bernie told some good dirty jokes so I am going to speak for him and say he thought it was an honest pour too. Not to get too phillisophical, but as someone who has everything from Pappy 15 to GTS '13 to JBBIB available, I think bourbon is about sharing a pour and having fun. If an honest man offers me a pour of JB white or EWB, we are going to have a good time. If he offers me a pull of Dant, we are going to have a blast.  I will also watch him at the poker table because the sumbitch knows what he's doing with his cash. 

Great post GB. :D A perfect example of how things should be. There's nothing better than having a pour or three with family (and/or friends), telling some stories and jokes, and just generally having a good time. Cheers to ya'!

Joe

8 hours ago, robertckim said:

Picked up a BT Costco Barrel Select today, who knew?  2016 edition.

are you saying buffalo trace costco store select? was it last bottle? called the costco's in vegas and they said they didn't carry it.  family lives out there, was gonna have them grab one for next time i visit in a few months.

4 hours ago, Steve L said:

Hunting results for today -- taste testing the Old Charter 101 and the Evan Williams 1783 even now.  The 1783 was only 12.99....crazy.  

IMG_2999.JPG

Very Nice!

Grabbed an ETL for $50. Sticker said $100. Owner said he had some wiggle room on it. Also grabbed an OWA for $28. 

14 minutes ago, No_Reception said:

Grabbed an ETL for $50. Sticker said $100. Owner said he had some wiggle room on it. Also grabbed an OWA for $28. 

I had this happen to me with the last bottle of Elmer I bought.

I said "is this really $100?"

Store owner says "No, that's the I don't know you price.  $50 with tax for you"

Pays to be familiar.  :)

4 hours ago, Kness said:

Lucky Day!

KzvPLXRp-789097336.jpg

Both of those are really good.

I got to try the Willett distilled 4 year bourbon and 3 year rye side-by-side @ the distillery last spring and immediately bought the 3yr rye.  Completely blew me away how complex and tasty it is.

Snagged two more bottles of a really nice FRSiB private selection of OBSV

8 hours ago, Steve L said:

IMG_2999.JPG

Congrats, great bottles right there. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.