What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Haven't bought one in a bit (or so it seams). Jumped on a Stagg Jr. 130 (not sure which batch) for 43. Almost through with my open one and have enjoyed it more and more as the bottle has been open

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Haven't bought one in a bit (or so it seams). Jumped on a Stagg Jr. 130 (not sure which batch) for 43. Almost through with my open one and have enjoyed it more and more as the bottle has been open

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yeah, STJ at $43 would be a difficult pass.  I have had a couple of STJs, #1 and #3.  I enjoyed both but #3 was stellar.  FishBowlJoe made me buy it.  

Sounds like I need to do a road trip from Iowa to find some of those '04's.  I promise I would leave 1 or 2 on the shelf. [emoji6]

Well, that's about all there is left on the shelf.

As for the other two, they are more for stashing with the rest of them. I've always keep at least one year in reserve for some time now. Don't nearly have all, and don't plan on trying to, but it's one I stash away.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received a Lot B today. Had a friend enter a lottery for me and he came out with a Lot B for slightly above retail. 

In a different part of the state and found an Eagle Rare for 35. Haven't seen one back home for that price in a bit so grabbed one. Love the small town stores

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hey guys! First post after lurking for a year. 

Over the weekend I picked up 4 EC 12 yr on the front label for the bunker $35 tax included. 

1 hour ago, Wellercat said:

Hey guys! First post after lurking for a year. 

Over the weekend I picked up 4 EC 12 yr on the front label for the bunker $35 tax included. 

I'm guess $35 for a bottle, right? Not for all 4.

Just picked up old forester 1920, woodford reserve double Oakes, and a bottle SOAS single barrel. Saw a bottle of wild turkey LE for 130. Passed on it since I don't have any info on it.

Bought my first bottle of Michters 10 today. Have had it many times at bars and restaurants. Excited to have my own bottle. Passed on the ETL, but I might go back and get it. That was the first time I have seen one in Houston.

picked up a Hancock's Prez Reserve and also an ECBP over the weekend, but now I need to halt my bourbon spending and focus more on the drinking ;)

Found some Rock Hill Farms here in Wyoming.  I hadn't been able to obtain that particular one yet, so nice treat.  Cheers!

IMG_5052.JPG

1 hour ago, Thirsty Adam said:

Bought my first bottle of Michters 10 today. Have had it many times at bars and restaurants. Excited to have my own bottle. Passed on the ETL, but I might go back and get it. That was the first time I have seen one in Houston.

I dont know if its just me or just my bottle, but I find that M10 really average..  I have a bottle that I pulled about 4 pours from and just can't get in the groove with it.   In hindsight, I would have traded for all the ETL I could! 

I dont know if its just me or just my bottle, but I find that M10 really average..  I have a bottle that I pulled about 4 pours from and just can't get in the groove with it.   In hindsight, I would have traded for all the ETL I could! 

He only had one bottle of each and I can get the ETL c+s from a few people. So I went with what I thought was harder to find. I might go back for it.

1 hour ago, JT3NSB said:

One of the problems with NDPs like Michter's is that they are often inconsistent.  The 2013 bottle I have open is very nice, and the claim is that it's significantly older than 10 years (the distributor claimed 14 years, another rumor I heard said it was the same stock that EC18 was being drawn from).  Probably a similar story for previous iterations, though who knows if it is true for any of them.   Heck, I rescued this bottle from the bargain bin because the owner of the store got sick of it sitting on his shelves.   Current releases of Michter's 10 are probably right at 10 years old.  I've heard rumors that this year's is Brown Forman or Heaven Hill spirit.  Regardless, I am not paying $200 for a 10 year old bourbon.  I felt bad enough paying the $60 or so for the 2013, though it is quite nice.  If I had known just how nutso the market was going to go starting fall 2014, I might have bought a couple more, though it is fairly far down on my "I might have bought more" list of bourbons.

On 1/5/2017 at 0:34 AM, whiskey said:

New to the bourbon "scene"...saw Blanton's at a local place I buy beer from so I grabbed it since it is getting tough to find around here.

They also had Weller SR and Antique 107...so I grabbed one of each. I think I overpaid a bit though.

Just so you have something to compare your possible overpayment to -

Blanton's shows up fairly often, every couple of months for a few weeks then disappears, around here (mid-Atlantic) for $55-65 a 750.  In the last six years, I have seen WSR ONCE, and that was a single handle on a shelf for $41.  I bought it.  OWA 107 shows up for less than a day a couple of times a year.  The few (like, maybe one or two) bottles that get left behind get marked up to not more than $99.  I've never seen it in WashDC for less than $35 a 750 although I think it appears in some spots in Maryland (which has funny liquor laws allowing counties to control spirits) for $20 per 750 - but you better be there soon after it arrives.

A little rural exploration over the weekend resulted in these fine little numbers.

Never have tried the Hancock's, so looking forward to it.

IMAG1739[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Just so you have something to compare your possible overpayment to -

Blanton's shows up fairly often, every couple of months for a few weeks then disappears, around here (mid-Atlantic) for $55-65 a 750.  In the last six years, I have seen WSR ONCE, and that was a single handle on a shelf for $41.  I bought it.  OWA 107 shows up for less than a day a couple of times a year.  The few (like, maybe one or two) bottles that get left behind get marked up to not more than $99.  I've never seen it in WashDC for less than $35 a 750 although I think it appears in some spots in Maryland (which has funny liquor laws allowing counties to control spirits) for $20 per 750 - but you better be there soon after it arrives.

Harry if you go into VA you shouldn't have any trouble finding Blanton's.  I think it's there pretty much year round in both 375's and 750's.

1 hour ago, bourbs bro said:

ooh jealous of that single barrel ER10. nice grab

Can you not get Eagle Rare in Florida?

I can, although it feels like it's sold out frequently, but I'd call it a lucky day if I came across the single barrels versions that are discontinued.

6 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

I can, although it feels like it's sold out frequently, but I'd call it a lucky day if I came across the single barrels versions that are discontinued.

I thought all ER10 were single barrel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.