What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Barrell Bourbon New Year 2017 edition.

Really looking forward to trying this one.

While somewhat expensive, I've never had a bad product from Barrell.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Found a store with three 1792 Full Proof @ MSRP.  I bought two.  On the way out, the manager suggested I look on his "miscellaneous" shelf up front - I'd walked right past it.  Hence, I also bought an Old Ezra 101 7yr (which I've never had) for $22.

First impressions of the OE - hotter than I expected for its proof- more like FC than WT;  finish has some unidentifiable (mushroom? leaf  mold? compost?) vegetal flavor hanging around in there - not unpleasant, just something like you'd get if you are doing yard work and absent mindedly get your glove in your mouth.  When I start smacking to coax it out, it turns sweet.  Go figure.

Going to have to have a THIRD 2 oz. of this in awhile.  Its mystery has captured my attention for the evening.  After all, pitchers and catchers don't report for Spring training for another five weeks or so, and I need SOMEthing to think about.:blink:

There's still football to be played.

On topic:.........um...........I didn't purchase anything today. Carry on.

6 hours ago, Louisiana said:

I have better luck getting William Larue Weller than an OWA store pick. Seriously. I can even get standard OWA & W12 anytime I want, but OWA store picks are unheard of in this part of the country. Congrats!

I think I'd take your situation and be quite happy about it. OWA store picks are great and all, but WLW and W12 anytime is a better situation for sure.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:07 AM, flahute said:

I think I'd take your situation and be quite happy about it. OWA store picks are great and all, but WLW and W12 anytime is a better situation for sure.

Yes. I am very happy with my situation flahute. The distribution of standard offerings, private barrels, & LE's around the nation can be very baffling sometimes. Since OWA is one of my favorites a private barrel would be nice. I hear ya GeeTen. How does the private barrel compare to the standard offering?

Decided to take Clueby's advice and try the CEHTSmB over the single barrel offering--found one today at $40. Thx

1 minute ago, Redslayer said:

Decided to take Clueby's advice and try the CEHTSmB over the single barrel offering--found one today at $40. Thx

Oh Lord!  Don't listen to me!  Just ask my wife.

Not a purchase but I recieved as a gift a bottle of the Evan Williams 12 year from the Heaven Hill gift shop

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Louisiana said:

How does the private barrel compare to the standard offering?

I have four (4) different single barrel L&K OWA picks and about six (6) regular OWAs in the bunker - can you tell I like my wheaters?  Each of the barrel picks has a distinctive flavor (IIRC from the tasting we did) from one another, but all four (4) were very, very nice.  Can't say if they're that much "better" than the regular OWA (we didn't do a SBS), just distinctly different in a good way.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Oh Lord!  Don't listen to me!  Just ask my wife.

No worries.  It's not like I would hold you personally responsible for distilling, batching, and bottling the product (unlike our wives)....

Plus, never had a BT/Saz product that I did not enjoy.  Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Found a little mom and pops LS in SE GA today at lunch.  Got a 1.75L ECSB 12yr, an OGD114 on a sale rack for 15.99, and WELLERS !!!!  Yes , I know its just the Reserve, but I have never seen any Weller bottles on a shelf since I moved here !!!!  Cannot get any of this around HHI.  Gladly paid my 98$+change and was out.  Never had the ECSB 12yr, but that will change in about an hour !!

IMG_1128_JPG.jpg

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Not a purchase but I recieved as a gift a bottle of the Evan Williams 12 year from the Heaven Hill gift shop

image.jpg

Very Nice!

1 hour ago, t-ball said:

Found a little mom and pops LS in SE GA today at lunch.  Got a 1.75L ECSB 12yr, an OGD114 on a sale rack for 15.99, and WELLERS !!!!  Yes , I know its just the Reserve, but I have never seen any Weller bottles on a shelf since I moved here !!!!  Cannot get any of this around HHI.  Gladly paid my 98$+change and was out.  Never had the ECSB 12yr, but that will change in about an hour !!

IMG_1128_JPG.jpg

Very Nice!

1fca7ea1d64e59a046894355124e8376.jpg
Got 2 bottles today. Found the 1792 single Barrel at TW and brought it home. I tried it and I thought it needed a little depth, but still great. Did a little reading and saw that there was a full proof and had "more depth." This is where it got interesting. I remember seeing a 1792 full proof at a Costco in the town I'm visiting. I immediately left my hotel and went there. It is a full proof single Barrel from WB liquors (Barrel 122). My question is should I pick more of these up? It is pretty good juice but I was wondering how limited these 1792s are. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1fca7ea1d64e59a046894355124e8376.jpg
Got 2 bottles today. Found the 1792 single Barrel at TW and brought it home. I tried it and I thought it needed a little depth, but still great. Did a little reading and saw that there was a full proof and had "more depth." This is where it got interesting. I remember seeing a 1792 full proof at a Costco in the town I'm visiting. I immediately left my hotel and went there. It is a full proof single Barrel from WB liquors (Barrel 122). My question is should I pick more of these up? It is pretty good juice but I was wondering how limited these 1792s are. Thanks

I would definitely advocate getting more of the 1792 Full Proof. Have not seen a lot of it; have heard nothing but good things from others on this forum; and love the bottle I have.

Found some Rock Hill Farms here in Wyoming.  I hadn't been able to obtain that particular one yet, so nice treat.  Cheers!
IMG_5052.JPG

Is that a Glass blower Ben glass by Ben Dombey ?
Looks just like his.
If not, what is it?
Love the look

Went to the liquor store after my morning work out. There was an older gentleman talking with the clerk whom I've know for years. They were talking about thousand dollar shotguns. I noticed the gentleman had a bottle of buffalo trace in a sack. I asked the clerk if some was in the back and he said no. Kinda hurt my feelings as I've spent a lot of money here for years. So I went and looked at the 1.75 bottles of Elijah Craig. Noticed they were the old small batch type. On a whem I thought I'd check and see if any were the 12 year age statement on back. Figured no chance. Ha the very last 1was just that. I'm sure it got shoved to the back many times in the last year. Needless to say I didn't feel so bad as I paid my 40 bucks!

2 minutes ago, Clay Cline said:

Went to the liquor store after my morning work out. There was an older gentleman talking with the clerk whom I've know for years. They were talking about thousand dollar shotguns. I noticed the gentleman had a bottle of buffalo trace in a sack. I asked the clerk if some was in the back and he said no. Kinda hurt my feelings as I've spent a lot of money here for years. So I went and looked at the 1.75 bottles of Elijah Craig. Noticed they were the old small batch type. On a whem I thought I'd check and see if any were the 12 year age statement on back. Figured no chance. Ha the very last 1was just that. I'm sure it got shoved to the back many times in the last year. Needless to say I didn't feel so bad as I paid my 40 bucks!

Good deal! Don't think I've seen a 1.75l EC in these parts before.

24 minutes ago, Clay Cline said:

Went to the liquor store after my morning work out. There was an older gentleman talking with the clerk whom I've know for years. They were talking about thousand dollar shotguns. I noticed the gentleman had a bottle of buffalo trace in a sack. I asked the clerk if some was in the back and he said no. Kinda hurt my feelings as I've spent a lot of money here for years. 

Is Buffalo Trace hard to find in your area, I thought it was rather common everywhere?

It is right now. The largest liquor store in okc told me that buffalo trace sold the whole allotment for Oklahoma Arkansas Kansas and I think Tennessee to Japan. Said we won't see any till April. Used to see it every store trip. Eagle rare and Blanton too. I've looked for Elmer t Lee for years but never seen a bottle

We still have quite a bit of Eagle Rare on the shelves here, but a couple stores have been sold out of BT lately.

I was told by two different store owners that BT is now being allocated in NY. a few months ago every store had dozens of them, haven't seen that many lately.

32 minutes ago, Kness said:

I was told by two different store owners that BT is now being allocated in NY. a few months ago every store had dozens of them, haven't seen that many lately.

Liquor distribution is so confusing.  I saw bottles sitting on the shelf today at CVS.  BT dried up in Indy back in 2014 or 2015 but only for a short period and since it returned, it has been plentiful.  I still see it occasionally for less than $19.99.  This stuff used to be and should be ubiquitous like JB, EW, etc.  I don't understand how it can be allocated in a major area of the country like NY while sitting on the shelves rows deep in another.  I have even seen a few single barrel offerings recently.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.