What bourbon did you purchase today (winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Liquor distribution is so confusing.  I saw bottles sitting on the shelf today at CVS.  BT dried up in Indy back in 2014 or 2015 but only for a short period and since it returned, it has been plentiful.  I still see it occasionally for less than $19.99.  This stuff used to be and should be ubiquitous like JB, EW, etc.  I don't understand how it can be allocated in a major area of the country like NY while sitting on the shelves rows deep in another.  I have even seen a few single barrel offerings recently.

$19.99?! Closer to $30 in these parts. At that price I'd be bunkering it.

17 minutes ago, emr454 said:

$19.99?! Closer to $30 in these parts. At that price I'd be bunkering it.

I thought I saw a single barrel for around $27 recently.  I like BT well enough but in the low to mid $20s, I prefer EC.  In the upper $20s, I prefer KC. I rarely buy BT anymore.  I occasionally buy ER, when available, around $30.

Found a nice EC12 for the bunker and a lone bottle of SAOS 7yr rye.  The rye seems virtually sold out locally, and I almost missed this one.  It was on the top shelf and pushed all the way to the back...couldn't even see the label.  :o

IMG_0435.JPG

7 hours ago, Thig said:

Is Buffalo Trace hard to find in your area, I thought it was rather common everywhere?

We have 6-7 LS's around Hilton Head/Bluffton.  Not 1 bottle of BT anywhere.  Drive over to Savannah. ( about 35-40 minutes), BT everywhere.  Mostly 19.99-23.99 .  Makes no sense to me.

Picked up a handle of Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon for $20.  That's not much more than the 750mL size bottles in price.

Wild Turkey Bunker.jpg

4 minutes ago, Prof_Stack said:

Picked up a handle of Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon for $20.  That's not much more than the 750mL size bottles in price.

Wild Turkey Bunker.jpg

Can't beat that price. 

1 hour ago, Prof_Stack said:

Wild Turkey Bunker.jpg

Whoa!! Great price. What store was this?

3 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Found a nice EC12 for the bunker and a lone bottle of SAOS 7yr rye.  The rye seems virtually sold out locally, and I almost missed this one.  It was on the top shelf and pushed all the way to the back...couldn't even see the label.  :o

IMG_0435.JPG

Nice!  i picked up a the same SAOS rye today as well.  It's funny because I know a store that has a handle of EC12, but I've got a pretty decent bunker stash of it, but was getting a hair up my butt to go get one more.  

but instead I got this SAOS rye, OF1920, EWSiB 08, and had to get a fresh eagle rare.

about to crach the SAOS rye for a taste right now.

12 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

IMG_0435.JPG

Very nice find.

10 hours ago, Prof_Stack said:

Wild Turkey Bunker.jpg

Very nice. Can't go wrong with WT.

12 hours ago, Prof_Stack said:

Wild Turkey Bunker.jpg

Way to go! I'd buy it by the case at that price.

10 hours ago, bourbs bro said:

Nice!  i picked up a the same SAOS rye today as well.  It's funny because I know a store that has a handle of EC12, but I've got a pretty decent bunker stash of it, but was getting a hair up my butt to go get one more.  

but instead I got this SAOS rye, OF1920, EWSiB 08, and had to get a fresh eagle rare.

about to crach the SAOS rye for a taste right now.

How did you like the SAOS rye, and what batch do you have?  I'm waiting to kill a few bottles before I open mine.

In anticipation of the ice storm we're having in Missouri right now, I hit a few stores on the way home from work yesterday to pick up extra bags of rock salt, batteries, propane, and other emergency items... Figured that list of emergency items should include a bottle of 4RSiB since I was completely out of that particular offering.

8 minutes ago, Jkersh said:

Parker's heritage 8yr Malt -$69

Hard to believe that is still floating around out there! (Not saying I don't believe you..ha) Although it wasn't as widely loved as the rest of the PHC lineup.

2 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

How did you like the SAOS rye, and what batch do you have?  I'm waiting to kill a few bottles before I open mine.

mine is batch 58 bottled on 3/3/15 by the one and only sarah.

I liked it - I'm not a rye expert.  I just recently grabbed a bunch of rye's to teach myself.  I bought a dickel rye, HWRR, baby saz, and then just picked this saos 7 rye as all of the main rye's I wanted to target.

From memory it felt in the ballpark of HWRR if you've ever tried that.  I the dill-ness was a little more subtle and I thought it had a nice balance between bourbon/rye burn as I sipped.  I've only had maybe 2 drams of each of these ryes all on differnet days though.  My wife and I were like, we have to do a blind SBS now.  She like the rye samplings probably more than me and loved the HWRR so she's excited to try this (she had some dental work done and was on meds so she didn't want to sample)

I need to hurry up and do it though. I left one saos 7 rye on the shelf, if it wins the blind SBS i may have to go back for it. :) 

12 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Hard to believe that is still floating around out there! (Not saying I don't believe you..ha) Although it wasn't as widely loved as the rest of the PHC lineup.

I was pretty surprised myself. Found in Mass. Also picked up a bottle of Yamizaki 12

Stopped by a small store to get some Wild Turkey 101. Their selection was poor but the prices were low. Only saw 81 on the shelf, I talked to the guy he pulled a pint size 101 out. He says the he bought a lot of the 81 and it hasnt been selling. I talked to him a while about bourbon drinkers preferances and prices, he gave me the pint of 101 for 5 bucks as a thank you. 

I'm in the Bradenton/Sarasota area for a ten day stretch, so the depleted 'southern bunker' mending has commenced.  

So far, I've picked up a 1792 SB, EC12 (last one in the store), and a EHT rye (wrong thread, but I'm lazy).

Priorities are fully in check, as grocery, cigar, and hardware store shopping all followed the above! 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

There's a couple stores out here who still have it.

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

There's a couple stores out here who still have it.

Likely not at $69 though?

Picked up a Bourye at $36. That's about half of the usual price around here, so I decided to give it a shot. 

IMG_0440.JPG

I struck out on the dusty hunt today, ended up with this as a consolation prize.  Reviews seem good and I like BT juice, so why not? ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.