Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Slowly peel off the label. Then spread Goo Gone over the residue. Rub on some dish soap and that stick residue just melts away when you rinse in water with a scrubber. Comes out sparkling! 

Only the rear was a label. The other three sides are printed directly on the glass. I gave up and threw it away.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Only the rear was a label. The other three sides are printed directly on the glass. I gave up and threw it away.

Oh too bad, it is such a good bottle shape too. I have never had a RHF bottle so I did not know that. Yeah anything screen printed like that is not possible.  EC, ER, Stagg Jr, RY10, all fall in that category.

FWIW I have found  that 4 Roses bottles have the easiest labels to peel.

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

FWIW I have found  that 4 Roses bottles have the easiest labels to peel.

and that is a good looking bottle too.

14 hours ago, Clueby said:

Did you try any type of degreaser or paint stripper?

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

You don't mean to DRINK, do you?:P

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Seriously, . . .

Yeah.  Awful lot of work, and there's still some residue.  Maybe if I painted the bottle after stripping most of the printing . . .

25 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You don't mean to DRINK, do you?:P

Beat me to it... but seriously, I do find that Rumple Minze often works wonders for those who happen to find themselves in a pinch...:rolleyes: 

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 2

One prays always as ones store is depleted by time and empties, new acquittances may becomes one's friends.

Huzzah

unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.dab5898f3dbc555d976d9420f342ba69.jpg

Well, my eldest EWSB just bit the dust.  2003, barreled 2/27/2003, Barrel 732, bottled 8/22/2013.  Cork was slightly disintegrating.

Going to re-open my EWSB 2004.  Cork seems OK.  Barreled 3/19/2004, Barrel 30, Bottled 11/5/2013.

The 2003 will live on, however.  Using the 2004 cork (or another cork that fits), it will become a decanter/vatter.  Is classic shape.

EDIT - There is a problem, IMO, with the EWSBs.  They are 86 proof like EWStraight Black label - after months of drinking BIBs (and 114 and 101s and PSs and barrel proofs like GTS) neat, I THINK I could drink this all night with NO problem.  It IS NOT TRUE!!.  Note to self - IT IS NOT TRUE!!.  Just saying . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC
You knew I just had to. Edit, that is.
  • I like it 3

On 11/8/2017 at 7:19 AM, Clueby said:

It depends how the decoration is printed.  The ER eagle comes off easily with warm soapy water and a green pot scrubber.  A single edge razor blade can work too. 

On the other hand, I gave up on trying to remove the writing from a Saz Rye bottle.  It's like ceramic glaze bonded to the glass.

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, my eldest EWSB just bit the dust.  2003, barreled 2/27/2003, Barrel 732, bottled 8/22/2013.  Cork was slightly disintegrating.

Going to re-open my EWSB 2004.  Cork seems OK.  Barreled 3/19/2004, Barrel 30, Bottled 11/5/2013.

The 2003 will live on, however.  Using the 2004 cork (or another cork that fits), it will become a decanter/vatter.  Is classic shape.

EDIT - There is a problem, IMO, with the EWSBs.  They are 86 proof like EWStraight Black label - after months of drinking BIBs (and 114 and 101s and PSs and barrel proofs like GTS) neat, I THINK I could drink this all night with NO problem.  It IS NOT TRUE!!.  Note to self - IT IS NOT TRUE!!.  Just saying . . .

It's all good!  :D

Er, until you have to stand up to go pee!  :wacko::lol:;)

• I like it 2

Gators trying to kill me (or my liver) today. 

This was very good and sad that I cant find anymore. 

IMG_3641.JPG

• I like it 1

My wife is out taking care of a number of things today, so I've been staying busy by doing some work around the house. Laundry, dishes, putting the patio furniture away for the winter, and of course, taking stock of my bunker/cabinet. I haven't been finishing off bottles as much as it might seem by my picture. Only the OWA and Weller SR have been somewhat recently finished. The others have been empty for some time. The last time I had a few empty bottles, I screwed up and threw out a OWA and a Weller 12. I was planning on keeping those for decanting and/or vatting. :huh: I will probably keep the empty OWA and Weller SR, but the VOB BIB, BT and KCSB ps are definitely headed to the big blue bin. FWIW, I ain't getting any younger. I don't completely trust myself putting an empty bottle in or on top of a glass. Below is my way of having fun and being a little different. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

mty.jpeg

23 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.54bc095454aed67a076f16b0d5a88c7d.JPG

Think I'll join you Harry. Barrel 412.

• I like it 1

Well, EWB is 86 proof, and the EWSBs are 86.6 proof.  I guess that 0.6 proof makes all the difference.  Sleeping well for the third night in a row.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife is out taking care of a number of things today, so I've been staying busy by doing some work around the house. Laundry, dishes, putting the patio furniture away for the winter, and of course, taking stock of my bunker/cabinet. I haven't been finishing off bottles as much as it might seem by my picture. Only the OWA and Weller SR have been somewhat recently finished. The others have been empty for some time. The last time I had a few empty bottles, I screwed up and threw out a OWA and a Weller 12. I was planning on keeping those for decanting and/or vatting. :huh: I will probably keep the empty OWA and Weller SR, but the VOB BIB, BT and KCSB ps are definitely headed to the big blue bin. FWIW, I ain't getting any younger. I don't completely trust myself putting an empty bottle in or on top of a glass. Below is my way of having fun and being a little different. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

mty.jpeg

I still love VOB BIB.

18 hours ago, flahute said:

Anyone see very old barton 100 in the md/dc area? All I seem to find around here is the 86 proof version?

20 minutes ago, Justin said:

Anyone see very old barton 100 in the md/dc area? All I seem to find around here is the 86 proof version?

Va only carries 86. I wouldn’t be surprised if DC or Md had the 100 proof.

I do love the 100 proof, but dayum I did enjoy this bottle of 86.  

IMG_4309.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.