Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Just saw that. Not sure how 12 year ended up as 2 month (though I'm sure some craft joint has a 2 month old bourbon for sale!). 

Dango said he finished it in 2 months time, so I'm sure your brain just ran with "2 months" instead of 12 years lol!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Just saw that. Not sure how 12 year ended up as 2 month (though I'm sure some craft joint has a 2 month old bourbon for sale!). 

$50 a bottle since Craft has the opposite strategy of the big boys, less age more $$$$$$

10 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

$50 a bottle since Craft has the opposite strategy of the big boys, less age more $$$$$$

It is funny how beer enthusiasts and bourbon enthusiasts view big boys vs craft. For years, all I drank was micro IPA and pilsners. I'd rather not drink beer than drink Coors light. Yet on the bourbon end, if the juice isn't from one of about 8 or 9 distilleries, it gets passed on by. 

28 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

It is funny how beer enthusiasts and bourbon enthusiasts view big boys vs craft. For years, all I drank was micro IPA and pilsners. I'd rather not drink beer than drink Coors light. Yet on the bourbon end, if the juice isn't from one of about 8 or 9 distilleries, it gets passed on by. 

Clearly this is a result of production methods, the time from production to end result is far shorter for a brewery. One of the biggest challenges to a craft distillery is if the bomb early batches they find out much later and have likely produced far more product without being able to make adjustments. IPA's, Pilsners, and other adjunct free beers are the best comparison and Pilsners in particular are a style where poor production methods are really evident.  Craft beer in general though to some degree gets by making more assertive and often adjunct driven beers where flaws are a bit easier to hide or in some cases like the hazy New England IPA craze desirable.  It will be interesting to see how this comparison ages as craft spirits reach more advanced maturation.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Clearly this is a result of production methods, the time from production to end result is far shorter for a brewery. One of the biggest challenges to a craft distillery is if the bomb early batches they find out much later and have likely produced far more product without being able to make adjustments. IPA's, Pilsners, and other adjunct free beers are the best comparison and Pilsners in particular are a style where poor production methods are really evident.  Craft beer in general though to some degree gets by making more assertive and often adjunct driven beers where flaws are a bit easier to hide or in some cases like the hazy New England IPA craze desirable.  It will be interesting to see how this comparison ages as craft spirits reach more advanced maturation.

Yep. You can try a new beer and have a finished product in four weeks as opposed to four years. The big brewers have figured out what sells to the masses and hammer it with advertising. 

Well, there wasn't as much left in my Weller SR as I thought, so I finished 'er off. :D Next......

Cheers! Joe

empty.jpeg

• I like it 1

This was a bit pricey but worth it.  Much better than 2001 and blew BSFTB out of the water in several SBS

CD7CBE25-F826-41D2-AEF3-92EF2A83BDAA.jpeg

14 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

This was a bit pricey but worth it.  Much better than 2001 and blew BSFTB out of the water in several SBS

CD7CBE25-F826-41D2-AEF3-92EF2A83BDAA.jpeg

BSFTB? Interesting... I tried it last week and didn't think it anything special. But that was after LOTS of sake and a rye. You make me want to try this again.

Edit: mine was a different batch, either 121.7 or 127.1.

Edited by Kane

BSFTB Is scalding hot and water does little to tame that.  The KC was so much more drinkable.  Just my opinion though

11 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

BSFTB Is scalding hot and water does little to tame that.  The KC was so much more drinkable.  Just my opinion though

I won't go as far as "scalding" hot, but the tastes I have had from several SFTBs have been hot to the point of being unenjoyable.  I'll eventually get a bottle, but my tastes so far have been the reason I've not put much effort into getting one. I put BSFTB in the "overhyped" category.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

...but the tastes I have had from several SFTBs have been hot to the point of being unenjoyable....

= scaldingB)

12 hours ago, jvd99 said:

= scaldingB)

Heehee.  Touché!  I was trying to be diplomatic...OK, it's a scalding hot mess of molten lava seared by the fiery breath of Smaug!!!!  :lol:  In comparison, Stagg Jr. #1 was a veritable pour of Miss Benson's cool sweet tea!  BTW, I liked that batch!   How they could choose to F@#€ up one of the most elegantly beautiful bourbons available in search of extra proof points is beyond my comprehension.  Ptooey!  Hocker!!  Ptooey!!!  I already rue the inevitable day when I buy one, though...Just, so I have one... ;)  Perhaps, I'll use it as an example of good whiskey gone wrong....

I'll see your scalding, and raise you inferno!    :D

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee.  Touché!  I was trying to be diplomatic...OK, it's a scalding hot mess of molten lava seared by the fiery breath of Smaug!!!!  :lol:  In comparison, Stagg Jr. #1 was a veritable pour of Miss Benson's cool sweet tea!  BTW, I liked that batch!   How they could choose to F@#€ up one of the most elegantly beautiful bourbons available in search of extra proof points is beyond my comprehension.  Ptooey!  Hocker!!  Ptooey!!!  I already rue the inevitable day when I buy one, though...Just, so I have one... ;)  Perhaps, I'll use it as an example of good whiskey gone wrong....

I'll see your scalding, and raise you inferno!    :D

Well, thanks fellas... used to think I wanted to find a bottle of BSFTB, I think you just saved me a drive into Canada to explore the duty free shop. I always figured as good as the original is, a BP would be amazing... now I think I know why the original is proofed down to 93 and seems so subtle... 93 must be the exact point where "scalding" turns to mmmmmmm

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Well, thanks fellas... used to think I wanted to find a bottle of BSFTB, I think you just saved me a drive into Canada to explore the duty free shop. I always figured as good as the original is, a BP would be amazing... now I think I know why the original is proofed down to 93 and seems so subtle... 93 must be the exact point where "scalding" turns to mmmmmmm

Try the Gold version which is around 102, that’s the sweet spot in the lineup.  Don’t waste your money on the SFTB.  You can order it online from London if it’s in stock.  Pretty easy instead of driving 

On 11/1/2017 at 2:54 AM, kevinbrink said:

Yeah, all of this. I think we're probably 5-10 years away from the cream of the craft whiskey crop. There are a lot of small distilleries holding stuff back in full size barrels, and when it comes of age it will be an interesting time.

8 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Like with most whiskies, reviews are good to narrow things down but you’ll never know until you try yourself. I’ve posted this multiple times but to me, standard Blanton’s is so elegant to the point of being boring. SFTB is completely different and I love it. I take a sip or two neat and it’s a complex punch in the mouth that starts to numb my tongue. I then add a bit of water to drop it a bit and it’s fantastic. Diff’rent strokes I suppose but I wouldn’t give up on it or any bourbon for that matter without trying it. 

Edited by Charlutz
  • I like it 1

Finished off a CEHT SiB.  A bit woody, but balanced nicely by vatting half-n-half with the CEHT SmB. 

Moving forward, I'll be bunkering the small batch at $40/bottle.  Still a tremendous value.  Shhh. 

• I like it 1

Finished off a CEHT SiB.  A bit woody, but balanced nicely by vatting half-n-half with the CEHT SmB. 

Moving forward, I'll be bunkering the small batch at $40/bottle.  Still a tremendous value.  Shhh. 

I actually have bunkered CEHT SmB in the past because it was such a good deal at less than $40 that I was afraid it would start to disappear like so many other BT products, but I'm actually starting to see sales and lower prices on it lately so I'm depleting my bunker stash a bit and will only buy when I get down to one backup or a sale price is irresistible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killed off the bourbon cream. It was good, but I won't be in a hurry to replace it. I am working on a strict calorie & alcohol budget every day, and this is not worth cutting back from actual food.

That measure is going into a cup of coffee btw.

IMG_20171105_014109.jpg

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Killed off the bourbon cream. It was good, but I won't be in a hurry to replace it. I am working on a strict calorie & alcohol budget every day, and this is not worth cutting back from actual food.

That measure is going into a cup of coffee btw.

IMG_20171105_014109.jpg

It's one of those things that was fun to stumble across and try but now it's on to something else that's on the shelf.

20 minutes ago, DCFan said:

It's one of those things that was fun to stumble across and try but now it's on to something else that's on the shelf.

Mix it with root beer over ice...Best root beer float you'll ever have!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.