Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was good while it lasted. Over the past months it was getting notably bitter and orangey, though. Finished in time, it didn't overstay its welcome.

IMG_20171021_224718.jpg

Finished this one off last night. IIRC this one was 9 years. Quite enjoyed it and glad to have a couple more of their barrel picks in the bunker.

image.jpeg

finished an EC small batch last night as well. Tonight an angels envy bites the dust, then its time to decide what to open next!

IMAG2471_1.jpg

This had been loitering around in one of the local store's tasting bar since last year, slowly getting lower.  For about the past 2 months, it had about one really good size pour left.  Yesterday I finally caved in and finished it off.

While I've never really loved the VW rye, I drank this last pour with a new sense of appreciation for what it is....a dying batch of old school rye that will soon (if not already) become extinct.

Smooth and arguably mellow with a twinge of spice that lingers on the tip of the tongue.  Finish is short.

I wouldn't call it a complex pour, but I wouldn't call it boring either.

If I learned anything from last years (2016) SAZ 18, it's to appreciate this old tanked juice while you still can...

Edited by 0895

Putting together a punch for Saturday at the Worlds Largest outdoor cocktail party in Jax. 

IMG_3453.JPG

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Putting together a punch for Saturday at the Worlds Largest outdoor cocktail party in Jax. 

IMG_3453.JPG

Didn't realize Herb had done another one of these. What was the "experimental Finish" on this one?

I have tried to like this relatively local Georgia based distillery/brand but so far I have not been overly successful.

• I like it 1

It did not say on the bottle. It was an impulse buy and it is decent for me but I'm not particularly versed in Rye. A friend requested this particular punch recipe and the LS is closed when I leave the hosp. This bottle served a worthy cause. 

IMG_3418.PNG

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

It did not say on the bottle. It was an impulse buy and it is decent for me but I'm not particularly versed in Rye. A friend requested this particular punch recipe and the LS is closed when I leave the hosp. This bottle served a worthy cause. 

That punch sounds kick-ass, Mako!  Let us know, after the WLOCP, how the punch went over with your crowd.

30 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

That punch sounds kick-ass, Mako!  Let us know, after the WLOCP, how the punch went over with your crowd.

I have made it twice before. First time I used bonded Rittenhouse. Second time old overholt. I liked the rittenhouse but am using the 13th colony and another local micro rye. 

Finished off a FO 15y. Not bad at all.  Seems like the second release is better than the first one I tried. 

IMG_2221.thumb.JPG.ebe75fac1e554dbdb7406c73136a7681.JPG

this was good.  but it was the least favorite of the store picks in my area.  glad I tried it though.

IMAG1829.jpg

Finished these 2 off tonight.  The EWSB was not good - used it for a mixer with Coke.  The OESK was great.  Moved on to CEHT while watching the WS.

Cheers

IMG_3742.JPG

On 10/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, LCWoody said:

Finished off a FO 15y. Not bad at all.  Seems like the second release is better than the first one I tried. 

IMG_2221.thumb.JPG.ebe75fac1e554dbdb7406c73136a7681.JPG

Seems like everyone either loves or hates this. Very little in between. 

Cheers.

Finished these 2 off tonight.  The EWSB was not good - used it for a mixer with Coke.  The OESK was great.  Moved on to CEHT while watching the WS.
Cheers
IMG_3742.thumb.JPG.302405f46d6b65ba6c7819fcc6c78d9a.JPG

The differences with some EWSB barrels is usually minor, but there are occasionally some duds. I actually came across a 2008 vintage honey barrel last year and went back and bought another half dozen bottles. I found a 2009 vintage last month that was just over 8 years old that was also pretty darn good and bought a few extras for the bunker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CEHT Barrel Proof Release 1.  Good to the last drop.  Orange zest and cherry notes came to front the longer the bottle was open.  Glad to have more in the bunker.  Traded one for a Cameron putter, thinking I will regret that.

IMG_1973.JPG

CEHT Barrel Proof Release 1.  Good to the last drop.  Orange zest and cherry notes came to front the longer the bottle was open.  Glad to have more in the bunker.  Traded one for a Cameron putter, thinking I will regret that.
IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.103a5b2d564c553f92855077a1173a20.JPG

Ok which Cameron putter? Inquiring minds want to know? I used to collect them, still have a couple tour issue models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emptied a rittenhouse tonight. Good value, but didn’t like it as much as the pikesville. Didn’t care for the pikesville at first either, but with a crushed orange slice , a dash of bitters, and a cube it made a world of difference.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Ok which Cameron putter? Inquiring minds want to know? I used to collect them, still have a couple tour issue models.

Studio Select Newport 2.6 center-shaft.  With the Flatso grip - it is deadly.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:41 PM, 0895 said:

IMAG2471_1.jpg

This had been loitering around in one of the local store's tasting bar since last year, slowly getting lower.  For about the past 2 months, it had about one really good size pour left.  Yesterday I finally caved in and finished it off.

While I've never really loved the VW rye, I drank this last pour with a new sense of appreciation for what it is....a dying batch of old school rye that will soon (if not already) become extinct.

Smooth and arguably mellow with a twinge of spice that lingers on the tip of the tongue.  Finish is short.

I wouldn't call it a complex pour, but I wouldn't call it boring either.

If I learned anything from last years (2016) SAZ 18, it's to appreciate this old tanked juice while you still can...

May have had the pour before you killed the bottle if we are talking about the same place.  This seemed a little off to me. So did the 20yr they had. Not sure if it's because they have been there for so long or I just don't know what the hell I am talking about which is quite likely.

Solid pour.  Gifted away my only other bottle yesterday to a retired cop friend b/c it’s his favorite and something he’d never buy for himself

907E6D77-0E6E-4A80-B12E-7F88067FF0FC.jpeg

22 hours ago, Gorzo said:

or I just don't know what the hell I am talking about which is quite likely.

Ha!

It tasted to me like every other van winkle rye I've ever tried (somewhat mediocre) :) .

29 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Another night another bottle

CDDFD901-E493-424D-9D16-E0403A334BB4.jpeg

I've noticed those bottles of Gold disappear way too fast.  My record on one is 10 days with a little help from my buddy and the wife.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.