What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

36 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

Thanks MTN!

It's very good Will. I know you've tried it right? All you drink is the good stuff!

Not yet, but I have one in the bunker, finishing the 2015 first. I'm glad it's a good one. 

I'm drinking Charter 101 tonight. We don't see it much on here but I enjoy it. A little hot on the front end but a good flavor profile. It's got enough oak to it that I wonder how old it really is.

I'm going to try a little vatting of the 101 in some OC8 to see how that comes out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1792 High Rye.  Good but I'm unsure exactly how it differs from the standard.  I don't currently have them all handy to compare. 

I'm drinking Charter 101 tonight. We don't see it much on here but I enjoy it. A little hot on the front end but a good flavor profile. It's got enough oak to it that I wonder how old it really is.

I'm going to try a little vatting of the 101 in some OC8 to see how that comes out

This seems intriguing I have a source of OC8 yr but I'm weary of the low proof.

Try a bottle of it. I used to avoid the lower proofs but there's a lot of flavor you'll miss by doing that. I enjoy the OC8 and if you've got a source the price of one bottle will be a low price for what can be a good experience. I gifted a portion of a bottle to another SBr last week and he really enjoyed it.

10 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

It's one of the sweetest bourbon's I've ever had.  I don't feel like it's overly thin or lacking complexity....just sweet and easy to drink.  Worth a try if the price is right.

6 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

It's one of the sweetest bourbon's I've ever had.  I don't feel like it's overly thin or lacking complexity....just sweet and easy to drink.  Worth a try if the price is right.

Agreed. A lot like a good eagle rare with a touch of water

So I decided to try the Charter101 : OC8 vat and while I didn't measure I'd say it's about 2:1 OC8 : 101.

I'd also say it's outstanding

Thanks guys ok I'm in on the OC8 will try to pick it up this week and report back.

On April 3, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Masset1982 said:

Yeap, that stuff is gold! Found some 2014 yesterday, did you try it ? 

Yes I did and still have a bottle in the bunker as a matter of fact. Not even close IMO. While it was still good, in comparison to the '13 SB, the F yeast was no match. Like I have said before, not getting more FRSBLE '13 is still one of, if not, my biggest bourbon regret to date. Please enjoy it while you can.

As for tonights pours, started off with some ETL with dinner and then followed that up with a night cap of HH6yrBIB. Yummy night that is for sure.

2 fingers of Stagg JR. tonight.  I'm on a mission to finish this off (1/3 left) in a desperate attempt for shelf space.

It's a really good pour.  129p I think?  Can't remember & too lazy to walk back over to the bottle.

Got back into that WFE 4yr Single Barrel tonight (Willett distilled). It's been pretty rough every time except one. Tonight it was rough. So on a whim I decided to vat a little OGD114 into it. Total transformation. OGD114 made it taste pretty good. OGD can do anything.

2 fingers of Stagg JR. tonight.  I'm on a mission to finish this off (1/3 left) in a desperate attempt for shelf space.
It's a really good pour.  129p I think?  Can't remember & too lazy to walk back over to the bottle.

I finish off my Stagg Jr by making bananas foster

Enjoying a pour of MGP LESV. It is a small batch bottling at BP by a local chain.  This is the 3rd pour from the bottle.  Something is a little off tonight.  While good, it isn't on par with previous pours.

40 minutes ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

I finish off my Stagg Jr by making bananas foster

Please send me "that" recipe... :)

Needed something different to night so a old FR OBSO from Binny's was popped open.

Different is good.

B

Had a pour of 1792 Small Batch Single Barrel Store Select (Mammoth Liquors) and then some Johnny Drum.  I like to sip them while snacking on some dark chocolate covered cranberries.

Still not loving this but its grown on me a bit. Very vermouth forward. Its a manhattan in a bottle. I still have another bottle in the bunker that I bought before I tried the first one.

20170405_212056-756x1008.jpg

Try a bottle of it. I used to avoid the lower proofs but there's a lot of flavor you'll miss by doing that. I enjoy the OC8 and if you've got a source the price of one bottle will be a low price for what can be a good experience. I gifted a portion of a bottle to another SBr last week and he really enjoyed it.

Well I did it you guys convinced me. I remember them being fifths but was actually handles.

I think one of the SBers must of discovered my liquor store with the stash of OC8yr and OWA. They only had a bottle left of the OWA after having three plus for weeks and only two+ of OC8yr after having six plus for what I would guess was several years.

2bf1c7519ebbd025eaea824cf043215e.jpg

78a45b9ddb31b72e33032603e4336b9e.jpg

Decided it was a Rye type of night. Tried the new Ezra Brooks Rye and can't stand it. It taste like it was in the barrel for 2 months not 2 years. Just terrible. Since I had to rid myself of that terrible taste in my mouth, I opened a bottle of Baby Saz. That and I was watching the Brockmire premiere where it is plastered all over the place.

3 hours ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

One of my favorite shelf pours, OGD 114

Yes indeed sir. Had a pour of that on its own after the vat and had to slap myself on the forehead for not going to it more often. So good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.