What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started the night with a pour of Bulleit 10 year, followed it with some WSR and finished it with a splash of WRDO.  Good night all together.

Okay, just switched it up a bit. For the price, this stuff is just flat out excellent. Nose is full of flavor and there is still a lot go zing in the palate.

Cheers gents.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.ede5bdc1f3dd8ffac75846afca9a985a.jpg

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

That's maybe 2 OZ. all told. (tolled?) (to'led which is a contraction for totalled? - We have any English majors out there?  What's the etymology of "all told"?)

Harry, I go with en toto...with a dollop of Grey Poupon and pinkey raised, of course...:D

A local store just got in a new private selection of KCSB, so I'm giving it a whirl tonight. The store owner told me it's even better than he remembers it being..."hot and sweet" he said. I must have given him a weird look when he said that because he clarified that it's really very good and to drink it neat or with a little water.

And so, I'm having about a 2oz pour from a Glencairn glass. It smells like a full country breakfast - some savory, almost meaty notes along with pancakes, syrup, and some fruity notes as well. Tasting neat this does have some serious alcohol burn, which makes it difficult to pick out any nuance. I tend to be stubborn and not add water but this one needs some. With about 10 drops of water, this opens up nicely and has some candy corn and cotton candy - I see why he said it's sweet, it has some candy sweetness to it. The finish is oaky and drying, which I really like. Overall this is a really nice selection and I'll probably end up picking up a couple more bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A local store just got in a new private selection of KCSB, so I'm giving it a whirl tonight. The store owner told me it's even better than he remembers it being..."hot and sweet" he said. I must have given him a weird look when he said that because he clarified that it's really very good and to drink it neat or with a little water.

And so, I'm having about a 2oz pour from a Glencairn glass. It smells like a full country breakfast - some savory, almost meaty notes along with pancakes, syrup, and some fruity notes as well. Tasting neat this does have some serious alcohol burn, which makes it difficult to pick out any nuance. I tend to be stubborn and not add water but this one needs some. With about 10 drops of water, this opens up nicely and has some candy corn and cotton candy - I see why he said it's sweet, it has some candy sweetness to it. The finish is oaky and drying, which I really like. Overall this is a really nice selection and I'll probably end up picking up a couple more bottles.

I have a FRSB OBSV private selection from the same store, which is 11yo and 117proof, so I thought it would be interesting to follow the KCSB with this given the similarity in proof, age, and obviously the person who picked it. The FRSB is light and floral by comparison, more refined and easy to drink at full proof relative to the KCSB. Some of the same candy notes but seemingly less oaky. Both are excellent picks.

Just now, Kepler said:

Elijah Craig 12 yr

are you okay?

11 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Last time I checked I was

k

two neat WT101's and one KC9 while at a Steely Dan cover band with a friend. WT won this round

With all the discussion about MMCS variation in the other thread, I decided to revisit an old 375ml bottle from a couple years ago that I've been drinking slowly due to the grassy and slightly too young notes that had been turning me off. Surprised to find that it was quite pleasant. Could it be some oxidation in the bottle that changed it? Could it be me? I won't quibble over details as I enjoy the full mouthfeel and toffee caramel goodness.

I followed with the Willett distilled WFE 4yr single barrel that I've been struggling with. It's had those bottled too young wet cardboard notes along with a too strong and out of balance cinnamon quality that mutes other flavors. Hmmmm......this one tasted good also and I didn't get any of the offending qualities. OK then, this has been sitting in a half filled bottle for a while also but the trend points to a change in me. The only way to find out is to keep trying them! I think I am up to the task.

With all the discussion about MMCS variation in the other thread, I decided to revisit an old 375ml bottle from a couple years ago that I've been drinking slowly due to the grassy and slightly too young notes that had been turning me off. Surprised to find that it was quite pleasant. Could it be some oxidation in the bottle that changed it? Could it be me? I won't quibble over details as I enjoy the full mouthfeel and toffee caramel goodness.

This makes me wish I had let my bottle of MMCS hang around half-full for a while longer. I thought it was ok, I used the last couple ounces to make an old fashioned...

A little 4RSB with an Oliva V Melanio on the patio which the grill gets going. NY Strips tonight at Casa BigRich

20 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Switching gears...down to a lower proof wheater.

image.jpeg

Is that last years release or the new one?  I've been looking and no one has the new one yet.

I have some pork tenderloin kin the smoker - doing a Steven Raichlen char shiu recipe for the first outdoor cook of the year (well, that ,my wife knows about, anyway).  It calls for about an hour of applewood smoking @ 225 degrees which I[m watching like a hawk.  AND, Russell's Reserve 10 yr. is helping.  At lest two inches left in the bottle, so I thin k I have enough.  Oh, and I really like those new thermometers that you set and forget until they ding - the Russells and I  NEVER overcook.

2ND edit - basstahds.  The beeper just went off. What I gonna do??  Back shortly.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
blame the rRussells for the typos. NOT my fault.

41 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Is that last years release or the new one?  I've been looking and no one has the new one yet.

This is last year's. I haven't seen the 2017 release yet.

Edited by DeepCover

Enjoying my first taste of high octane 4R small batch that I vatted IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.6ce13e00d415f669764d9f5ebf19d48f.JPGlast year.  Avg age 11 year 4 mo and 115.25 proof. This is outstanding.  

Started with a CEHT small batch now on to a OGDbib. The CEHT was hitting the spot so will be going back to that. 

Celebrating the Zags victory with some 4R OESV from the pick I just got in.

Weller 12y was so good last night thought Id have some more tonight.......... Its just as good tonight.  :rolleyes:

Started with a CEHT small batch now on to a OGDbib. The CEHT was hitting the spot so will be going back to that. 

Because of you I'm opening a bottle of CEHTSmB for my next pour tonight. I started with 4RYL then a RHF and I've been eyeing the CEHT for a week now and felt it had been calling my name so tonight I answer the call.

12 minutes ago, Hop said:

Because of you I'm opening a bottle of CEHTSmB for my next pour tonight. I started with 4RYL then a RHF and I've been eyeing the CEHT for a week now and felt it had been calling my name so tonight I answer the call.

It's a excellent pour so much so I had to go back and get a extra bottle. 

So I decided to start the night off with some Booker's 25th Anniversary which I had not had in a long while and boy is that an amazing pour! That was followed by about a 3 finger pour of EC12 to kill off that bottle. In search of a night cap, I decided a little OWA was needed to finish the games tonight. Cheers everyone!!

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Weller 12y was so good last night thought Id have some more tonight.......... Its just as good tonight.  :rolleyes:

I had a pour of this last night and it tasted totally buzzworthy.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.