What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Normally, don't drink bourbon early in the week.  However, didn't drink much over the weekend and my wife decided she wanted a couple of wine spritzers tonight.  So, I decided to open a bottle of Blantons.  A couple of pours.  Good choice!

Picked up a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Select on account of never seeing it before.  It's alright.  Question though, is this Willett distilled or did they source it? 

14 minutes ago, Vicious-Peanut said:

Picked up a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Select on account of never seeing it before.  It's alright.  Question though, is this Willett distilled or did they source it? 

Sourced

Decided to go back to my bottle of Rowan's Creek to try to finish it off to make shelf space. Is there a thread for what you're trying to finish off and not really enjoying? I mean it's drinkable but not good. I then switched to WT101 and OWA both are significantly better. WT101 might be at the top of my bottom to mid shelf readily available bourbons. Comparing to OFSig, OGD BiB, 114 and EW BiB/JW Dant.

13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Decided to go back to my bottle of Rowan's Creek to try to finish it off to make shelf space. Is there a thread for what you're trying to finish off and not really enjoying? I mean it's drinkable but not good. I then switched to WT101 and OWA both are significantly better. WT101 might be at the top of my bottom to mid shelf readily available bourbons. Comparing to OFSig, OGD BiB, 114 and EW BiB/JW Dant.

I have a Rowans Creek from 2016 then I have been digging into a bit. Do you get any peanuts with the taste? There is a certain flavor on the palate that I cannot seem to pinpoint and it is driving me crazy. Almost taste like some weird grained oats or cornmeal. 

I also have a Rowans Creek wax top from 2013 that I found on a shelf just after they switched from the 15 year age statement but I haven't opened this one up yet.

I have a Rowans Creek from 2016 then I have been digging into a bit. Do you get any peanuts with the taste? There is a certain flavor on the palate that I cannot seem to pinpoint and it is driving me crazy. Almost taste like some weird grained oats or cornmeal. 

I also have a Rowans Creek wax top from 2013 that I found on a shelf just after they switched from the 15 year age statement but I haven't opened this one up yet.

I need to try again with your tasting notes in mind. Definitely something different.

Did a blind tasting of six bourbons. My wife had the following comments on the nose, "fisherman's wharf on a hot day".

That being said I bet that 2013 bottle is fantastic. For the 2017 stuff I'd rather have EW you name it over RC.

Just now, HoustonNit said:

I need to try again with your tasting notes in mind. Definitely something different.

Did a blind tasting of six bourbons. My wife had the following comments on the nose, "fisherman's wharf on a hot day".

:lol: 

Different indeed.

Having an off palate night. Started with the OF Single Barrel pick my group participated in and it was off - none of the sweetness I know to be there. Then tried ETL and it tasted grassy. So then tried 1792 High Rye and voila, it's fantastic. My usual bad palate night bourbon is OGD, which is also high rye. So now I now - on bad palate nights I need to go with rye.

Finally got off my keister and got the
cork wall tiles up for my bar area. Ran out of floor tape with just 2 tiles left - argh!! Just need to get those put up and the trim pieces around the sides and middle and its done. A nice pour of Four Rose's Elliott's Select to celebrate!
3faeeab4502a0f868752a9df5e7728a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Ravensfire said:

Finally got off my keister and got the
cork wall tiles up for my bar area. Ran out of floor tape with just 2 tiles left - argh!! Just need to get those put up and the trim pieces around the sides and middle and its done. A nice pour of Four Rose's Elliott's Select to celebrate!
3faeeab4502a0f868752a9df5e7728a6.jpg

Looking good!

14 hours ago, Government Beard said:

I have a wax top from 2013 (NAS) as well.

Bought 2, drank one.

Had strong similarities to big red gum on the front.

Got the peanut taste just slightly in the middle-end.

Also some caramel, etc.

Still very boring...glad to see it go.

Not bad, just doesn't have any wow factor at all.  Truly unremarkable.

Have no interest in opening the other bottle.  It'll probably be at my estate sale someday...

The main problem I have with KBD products (& other sourced juice) is the inconsistency.

This being said, the first time I ever tried Rowan's was a 2012 bottle that tasted like Barton 1792 mixed with something else to me.  It was delicious.

I picked up the 2013's, hoping for the same, but no.

Just finished my taxes & a heap of paperwork I've been putting off.IMAG1931.thumb.jpg.da269ebde8e9e02f272667f79a21e390.jpg

Celebrating with some Barterhouse.

This stuff really does it for me.  I think it's delicious. Strong oak and caramel + vanilla flavors.

Smells like a million bucks.

Tastes like $80 should taste.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I have a wax top from 2013 (NAS) as well.

Bought 2, drank one.

Had strong similarities to big red gum on the front.

Got the peanut taste just slightly in the middle-end.

Also some caramel, etc.

Still very boring...glad to see it go.

Not bad, just doesn't have any wow factor at all.  Truly unremarkable.

Have no interest in opening the other bottle.  It'll probably be at my estate sale someday...

The main problem I have with KBD products (& other sourced juice) is the inconsistency.

This being said, the first time I ever tried Rowan's was a 2012 bottle that tasted like Barton 1792 mixed with something else to me.  It was delicious.

I picked up the 2013's, hoping for the same, but no.

Sorry to hear. I wasn't expecting some type of magical nectar but I had hopes for it to be a notch or two above the all the other Rowan's Creek bottles I have tasted up to this point. Reading a lot of different, wide ranging views on this one and it always leads to reports of inconsistency.

Day two of this 112 proof old scout.

I was getting a lot more heat yesterday upon popping this open. That has subsided today. I am thoroughly enjoying this bottle. Strong whiffs of oiled leather, wood grain, and dried fruits. An ever so slight sweetness upon first taste followed by an oaky dry finish. I was really afraid the the alcohol content was going to dominate the nose and taste. All apprehensions put to bed.

oldss.thumb.jpg.06c4635e7f7607ba781315624ce1ff33.jpg

Finally opened up the bottle of OGD 114  and also had a pour from the ECBP A117 that I had also recently acquired.  

First the ECBP.  It hits you up front with spice/sweetness and that lasts all the way through for me.  Most pours you get a mix of flavors and for me this just starts and finishes the same.  Not bad but just not as complex as I expected for a BP bottle.

Next, the OGD 114.  This is supposed to be a bottom/lower shelf bourbon?  No way.  A sweet, spicy, tobaccoey, herbaceous glass of goodness.  I got all of those including an herb hint, almost like dried oregano.  I like the way it finishes with a dryness.  I was really impressed with this and now understand why everyone likes it.

In light of picking up some more bottles of this today I decided to have a pour of Elmer. I got a little heavy handed with the quantity for a Tuesday night!

20170411_212532-756x1008.jpg

A bit of Buffalo Trace and a bit of Four Roses Small Batch to end the night.

Took another rumble with the 1792 High Rye. This one is really starting to grab me. It has some commonalities with OGD so I followed with OGD114 to see how it stacks up. It's a favorable pairing. 

Had a healthy bour of dSculptor's blend last night - ER10:BT:StaggJr, 2:1:1.  WOW - forgot how great this vatting is.  Great nose of spice (probably the StaggJr coming to the forefront) and caramel w/o the bite.  Flavors of spice and some chocolate (?!?) on the palate with a warm, easy and long finish.  Fabuloso!!!!  I think I fell asleep in my easy chair for a while, tho'.   :D

2 minutes ago, kyrocklover said:

HH6BIB with a cube or three.  

Good choice rock. I'd join you if I had a bottle open. Since I don't, I reckon JTS Brown BIB will have to do. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

Having a generous pour of Stagg JR + OC8 at roughly 2:1 blend.  This is excellent and right in my proof wheel house.

The last several evenings have been spent with a MMPS. I usually buy MM in family size as MM and Sprite is my go to so I was really looking forward to this one's arrival. First off, I spent several seconds trying to unscrew the cork! I finally got it opened and at first it just seemed hot with out much going on and I didn't really care for it. I've gone back to it over the past four nights and with a splash of water it is really starting to grow on me. I don't get a lot on the nose, mostly ethanol, wood, and a hint of Orange peel, but there is also a subtle sweet note I can't quite identify... caramel corn??? On the palate the alcohol and oak(s) hit heavy right away but then the spices kick in along with a little caramel, vanilla, and I also get a nice bitter dark chocolate and coffee. The finish is medium with that coffee hanging on along with a faint touch of mint. I like it more with each pour and can't wait to see what happens with some airtime. The 4 seared French Cuvee, 2 Maker's 46, and 4 Toasted French Spice staves bring a spiciness and complexity to the oak component I'm not used to. This one definitely needs further investigation.

111.7°

Edited by JTaylor
Added proof

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.