What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am having a pour of regular Knob Creek 9 Year I put into a decanter about 3 months ago. Poured out the entire contents of a full bottle, put the top on, and set it back on my shelf. I haven't touched the thing until today. The nose is wonderful but I feel the taste has definitely lost some "ummpf" from how I remember KC. Not sure how I feel about it.

Cheers.

decant.thumb.jpg.4f98592c6c7728112743a1a7229ff743.jpg

I had to have surgery yesterday on my foot. So my neighbor boiled some shrimp and crawfish and made me a fire. 

I'm having some HM 10y for pain......

IMG_1639.thumb.JPG.7dada02fcea6927d0983850caa0fdeb5.JPG

Having a Old Forester signature tonight as I watch the Indians vs Tigers.

I am having a pour of regular Knob Creek 9 Year I put into a decanter about 3 months ago. Poured out the entire contents of a full bottle, put the top on, and set it back on my shelf. I haven't touched the thing until today. The nose is wonderful but I feel the taste has definitely lost some "ummpf" from how I remember KC. Not sure how I feel about it.

Cheers.

decant.thumb.jpg.4f98592c6c7728112743a1a7229ff743.jpg

I have a store pick of this which I really like and haven't had for a while thanks for the reminder.

I had to have surgery yesterday on my foot. So my neighbor boiled some shrimp and crawfish and made me a fire. 

Damn. Feel better. I can't argue with your prescription meds of HM.

20 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Celebrating Bridges coming back for another year at MSU with some 1792 FP

I was on cloud nine with that last night, pretty amazing to see that, it never happens in this day and age. Poured some John J Bowman while watching the press conference at Sparty. Go Green!

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Inspired by gov beard this is a great bottle need to pick the last two I saw.

a4d3bdb3fed1f3356e7dfadb36ef7ac1.jpg

Very impressive. I've never had a store pick of Regular KC. How is it?

Edited by Government Beard

Very impressive. I've never had a store pick of Regular KC. How is it?

Pretty good actually but might be I'm in the mood for something more mild tonight. Just had a pour of SAOS prior and I'm preferring the KC so something is off.

Also it's been forever since I had the no store pick.

19 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Pretty good actually but might be I'm in the mood for something more mild tonight. Just had a pour of SAOS prior and I'm preferring the KC so something is off.

:lol: Preferring the store pick Knob Creek over the SAOS. I think your taste buds are on vacation ;)

Just switched it up. I don't know the general consensus on Woodford Reserve/Brown Forman on here (probably not too great) but I will admit I love the finish of this WR Double Oaked. I've had it open for quite a while and maybe the air time has enhanced this thing. A nice charred and toasted finish from the double barreling. I will definitely be buying another when this bottle runs its course.

wood.thumb.jpg.c307c73d6a65f5c782d24e1573afc1b4.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

1 hour ago, Government Beard said:

:lol: Preferring the store pick Knob Creek over the SAOS. I think your taste buds are on vacation ;)

Just switched it up. I don't know the general consensus on Woodford Reserve/Brown Forman on here (probably not too great) but I will admit I love the finish of this WR Double Oaked. I've had it open for quite a while and maybe the air time has enhanced this thing. A nice charred and toasted finish from the double barreling. I will definitely be buying another when this bottle runs its course.

I feel like the common theme I see here in regards to Woodford/OF opinions tend to be that a lot of people like OF Signature, and a lot of people like OF1920, and in general people tend to not think the regular Woodford is worth paying any premium over the OF Signature. The other consistent opinions I see are a general avoidance of the Woodford Master's releases, although I have heard decent reviews of the latest Brandy Cask version here and elsewhere. I think most people also think the OF Birthday Bourbon hype has gone beyond the quality of the juice. And I agree with most of the above.

I was gifted a bottle of the Double Oakes and enjoyed it, but thus far have not picked up another. 

12 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I feel like the common theme I see here in regards to Woodford/OF opinions tend to be that a lot of people like OF Signature, and a lot of people like OF1920, and in general people tend to not think the regular Woodford is worth paying any premium over the OF Signature. The other consistent opinions I see are a general avoidance of the Woodford Master's releases, although I have heard decent reviews of the latest Brandy Cask version here and elsewhere. I think most people also think the OF Birthday Bourbon hype has gone beyond the quality of the juice. And I agree with most of the above.

I was gifted a bottle of the Double Oakes and enjoyed it, but thus far have not picked up another. 

No argument here. When the majority of bourbon drinkers taste buds slant one way I think the "proof is in the pudding" sorta speak. I was actually interested in picking up one of those Brandy Cask Master's releases because I had received a BEVMO gift card. I went home first to check the reviews and everyone resoundingly put the stuff into the garbage category. If I am spending $100 bones on some juice I expect it to be a few notches above average. Easy pass.

Double Oaked - I have enjoyed it too. So we have that in common:)

$75 was a bit high but I have been looking for some for awhile. The Cooper's Craft is not bad (if you can get over the twist off cap [emoji1]).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hotel'ing it tonight visiting the inland. Limited fair at the bar.

Knob Creek in the glass.

Going to be a long weekend, but shopping is in order soon for goodies.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No argument here. When the majority of bourbon drinkers taste buds slant one way I think the "proof is in the pudding" sorta speak. I was actually interested in picking up one of those Brandy Cask Master's releases because I had received a BEVMO gift card. I went home first to check the reviews and everyone resoundingly put the stuff into the garbage category. If I am spending $100 bones on some juice I expect it to be a few notches above average. Easy pass.

Double Oaked - I have enjoyed it too. So we have that in common[emoji4]. 

The only bad thing I've read about wrdo is that it is priced pretty high. Most people either like it or think it is unique enough to appreciate. I get it at bars but don't buy it by the bottle...

I actually like the standard wr and I get a taste for it every so often

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Government Beard said:

I don't know the general consensus on Woodford Reserve/Brown Forman on here (probably not too great) but I will admit I love the finish of this WR Double Oaked. I've had it open for quite a while and maybe the air time has enhanced this thing. A nice charred and toasted finish from the double barreling. I will definitely be buying another when this bottle runs its course.

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

BIB summed it up pretty well as to the general feeling of this board towards WR and BF.

I look Woodford fine, especially when flying on Delta. I don't keep a bottle around as a general rule, but if I could get a bottle that contained none of the pot still WR in the blend, I'd be a buyer.

I like the Double Oak when I'm in the mood. Love, love, love the 1920. OF Sig has fallen off in quality for most here in the past year or so.

I'm one of the rare ones that tends to love the Birthday Bourbon no matter the year.

It's a wheater night here. Started with RY10yr and am following with a healthy pour of OWA. The OWA is the winner tonight and since I don't want to follow with MMCS (because my current open bottle isn't that good), I think I'll follow with more OWA!

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I like both fine, but honestly most days I prefer the Beam flavor profile to MGP. If your off tonight you might just be where I generally am on a regular basis. As for me I decided to do a SBS of Kirkland 7yr Tennessee Straight bourbon with a Dickel 9 Yr Store pick, they are remarkably similar on the nose to me almost indistinguishable but to the pallet even though I get more of the aspirin thing from the 9 yr I would give it the edge, whether that edge is worth 25% more money for 25% less whiskey is entirely debatable, but I see no reason why I wouldn't keep both around, a nice change of pace.

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I like both fine, but honestly most days I prefer the Beam flavor profile to MGP. If your off tonight you might just be where I generally am on a regular basis. As for me I decided to do a SBS of Kirkland 7yr Tennessee Straight bourbon with a Dickel 9 Yr Store pick, they are remarkably similar on the nose to me almost indistinguishable but to the pallet even though I get more of the aspirin thing from the 9 yr I would give it the edge, whether that edge is worth 25% more money for 25% less whiskey is entirely debatable, but I see no reason why I wouldn't keep both around, a nice change of pace.

Decided one more pour was in order and splashed some Barrell batch 006 into a glass, interestingly I find the nose on the Barrell to be similar if not a touch muted in comparison, however, on the palette it enters similarly but on the mid and the finish really shines. Of course this is all in the name of research, I do my best critical thinking around 1 AM. 

On 4/13/2017 at 8:59 PM, GSOPirate said:

1.75L of Willett! I am a happy camper!!da9ed9f159850fd0c7e3e8523d04f28f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I like those bottles.

14 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Hope all goes well for ya.

14 hours ago, Government Beard said:

I like the WRDO, but then I like oak in my bourbons & wines.  I had a pour of it last night after one of Bulleit 10 yr. old.  I picked up my bottle of WRDO when Liquor Barn had it on sale for $48 a few weeks ago.

Enjoyed a nice dinner at the Beaumont Inn last night, and had a pour of their PS OESO (11 years and 111 proof).  It's a really nice selection (one of three they currently have available), if you are in the Harrodsburg area and have a chance to stop in. 

1764e43d0efa95614a89b35974a80edc.jpg
An old fashioned with EWBIB while getting the burgers and steaks started

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.