What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a week off bourbon my palate seems to firing on all cylinders. Pour of BT is tasting real nice. Contemplating what to pour next.

Went to Cunningham's Creekside in Louisville after the Cardinal's spring football game.  Awesome fish sandwich and unbelieveable onion rings.  Hadn't ever had a pour of Angels Envy so I tried it.  Not the highest proof but was great on a warm spring afternoon while eating and watching the boats go in and out of Harrod's Creek.

2016 Four Roses Small Batch LE with my wife. She doesn't like all they whiskey I drink, but this is one she appreciates

Between work and soccer, I haven't had a day off since the end of February. Today was no exception.  Tomorrow will be so I decided to relax with a pour of something special.  I opened a bottle of ECBP. Not sure the release numher. It is the older style bottle, 139.8 proof. I proofed it down to around 105 and it is delicious. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

Poured a small taste of the 'new' WTMK, Decades I bought a couple days ago.     Man this is a very nice Bourbon.      BIG aroma with lotsa warm baked cookies and caramel along with a hint of maple, and a tad bit of rickhouse-y musk.    The palate did not disappoint.    Much of what the old factory garnered was present in the rich, full presentation all over my mouth.    I picked up a hint of cinnamon with the expected oaky undertones (not a subtle oak either; but not overpowering), and a decent hit of peppery rye in the back.     The finish wasn't quite as impressive; but still very worth the wait.    At 104-proof, it drinks like a low-nineties to me.

Not an inexpensive pour; but the thick mouthfeel that comes with it is worth a pretty good upcharge, and the complexity I detected (somewhat unusual for my iron palate) was very rewarding to play with.     I found this rather superior to the last MK in every way. 

The only real negative comment I'll make is this: The cork didn't seem all that tight to me.     I went searching through my stash of used corks for a tighter fit; but the opening is just a bit wrong for any of mine.    Too wide for all but a few and too narrow for the few very large ones I had available.     I may wrap a turn or two of saran wrap around it in a few days.    Anybody have any other suggestions?

OC101. It has a nice, strong corn note that I like. This bottle has been lingering at about half-full for quite a while, though, so I'm going to try finishing it soon. I've moved it to the front of the shelf so I reach for it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started off with some spey side scotches, and swapped over to a store pick OWA.  Turned out to be a nice progression.

ECBP A117 but not enjoying anything because the Blackhawks forgot that scoring is a big part of playoff hockey 

Jim Beam BIB, making a batch of BBQ sauce with it tomorrow so figured I might as open it early and have some.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Poured a small taste of the 'new' WTMK, Decades I bought a couple days ago.     Man this is a very nice Bourbon.      BIG aroma with lotsa warm baked cookies and caramel along with a hint of maple, and a tad bit of rickhouse-y musk.    The palate did not disappoint.    Much of what the old factory garnered was present in the rich, full presentation all over my mouth.    I picked up a hint of cinnamon with the expected oaky undertones (not a subtle oak either; but not overpowering), and a decent hit of peppery rye in the back.     The finish wasn't quite as impressive; but still very worth the wait.    At 104-proof, it drinks like a low-nineties to me.

Not an inexpensive pour; but the thick mouthfeel that comes with it is worth a pretty good upcharge, and the complexity I detected (somewhat unusual for my iron palate) was very rewarding to play with.     I found this rather superior to the last MK in every way. 

The only real negative comment I'll make is this: The cork didn't seem all that tight to me.     I went searching through my stash of used corks for a tighter fit; but the opening is just a bit wrong for any of mine.    Too wide for all but a few and too narrow for the few very large ones I had available.     I may wrap a turn or two of saran wrap around it in a few days.    Anybody have any other suggestions?

Yeah, just finish it off this weekend and you won't have to worry about seepage. ;):D

1764e43d0efa95614a89b35974a80edc.jpg
An old fashioned with EWBIB while getting the burgers and steaks started

Best bourbon drinking cup on the market there. Would also argue the ecbp is one of the best bourbons on the market as well. Have not had the pleasure of the WLW though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Out with my wife last night having a minor celebration. Drinks before dinner at one of my favorite places and had nice pour of ECBP followed by a WT Tradition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Yeah, just finish it off this weekend and you won't have to worry about seepage. ;):D

HA!   HA!   HA!    I don't think I'll be able to finish it off quite that quickly; but I shall take your suggestion under advisement, C&B.  :lol:

My wife has a friend staying with us this weekend who happens to like whiskey.  I had some ECBP and ETL while grilling steaks and shrimp, then after dinner we both finished off a 2013 ER17.  Been awhile since I've had the ER17, still one of my favorites.

15 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

1764e43d0efa95614a89b35974a80edc.jpg
An old fashioned with EWBIB while getting the burgers and steaks started

What are those on the left?

I like both fine, but honestly most days I prefer the Beam flavor profile to MGP. If your off tonight you might just be where I generally am on a regular basis. As for me I decided to do a SBS of Kirkland 7yr Tennessee Straight bourbon with a Dickel 9 Yr Store pick, they are remarkably similar on the nose to me almost indistinguishable but to the pallet even though I get more of the aspirin thing from the 9 yr I would give it the edge, whether that edge is worth 25% more money for 25% less whiskey is entirely debatable, but I see no reason why I wouldn't keep both around, a nice change of pace.

It was just an off night for me. I prefer the SAOS SB over anything Bean most nights and I would think most would agree.

I need to try the GD 9yr store pick seen them around. I went out last night to a place called bosscat kitchen and libations basically an overpriced Applebees. My wife picked for a belated bday pick as they have a whiskey focus. Online the GD 9yr was one of the better offerings so planned on getting that. When we got there the list was more extensive and included ECBP for $1 more.

ECBP is so good. I gave my wife a sip, her comment was, "this is much better than that stuff you normally give me to try".

I'm on a mission of killing bottles to make room in the cabinet, but I'm not complaining! 

Cheers! 

Will.

IMG_8289.thumb.JPG.83179fba100cb05c29216fa4509a98f3.JPG

19 minutes ago, beasled said:

Nice!!

Henry McKenna 10 for me at the moment. Cheers!

Thanks.

Opened a bottle of Mc Kenna 10 not so long ago, some great stuff too. 

Cheers! 

What are those on the left?

Burgers that came out of the burger press I have. I had made a couple of the smaller ones for the kids.

19 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Best bourbon drinking cup on the market there. Would also argue the ecbp is one of the best bourbons on the market as well. Have not had the pleasure of the WLW though.

The yeti lowball works really well with barrel proof bourbon. Let's them breathe & open up.

How do y'all decide who gets the steak & who gets the hamburger? :mellow:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.