What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Kepler - When I have one of those nights, I try a half-pour of the one I have the most of just to see if it satisfies.  If not, I follow it with a half-pour of the other.  If I'm still bummed, I pick out a stand-by.

LIKE, after a week or so of OF 1897 which I find EXCEPTIONALLY satisfying even though I am not an OF Sig fan, I decided to go back to my go-to: the OGD BIB in the trash can next to my TV chair.

Ahh well, I'm not bummed, just was in the mood for both and couldn't easily choose.  So I am doing both :D

I love OF 1897 too.  It gets overshadowed by 1920 nowadays (which reminds me I need to crack open my 1920 and give it a try one of these days.

Your trashcan bourbon technique is inspiring to us all on here -- don't ever change Harry, don't ever change.

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You only come with the best.

:)

6 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Just opened up:

Four Roses Private Select OESK 8 years 10 months

Elijah Craig Small Batch (11 years)

Russell's Reserve Store Select Rickhouse C, Floor 3

Let the tasting begin!

Last night I enjoyed an ECBP

IMG_9480.JPG

That's pretty nice selection too. ;) I need to finish my ECBP #6 before opening this one, how is it ? 

3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

:)

That's pretty nice selection too. ;) I need to finish my ECBP #6 before opening this one, how is it ? 

Batch #6 was probably my favorite batch, and I can't bring myself to open the last bottle.  I am sure a SBS might reveal that there is little difference though.  I am really enjoying this batch, it can take water well.

1 hour ago, Jazz Nut said:

Batch #6 was probably my favorite batch, and I can't bring myself to open the last bottle.  I am sure a SBS might reveal that there is little difference though.  I am really enjoying this batch, it can take water well.

I can't tell if it's the best batch, i didn't taste all of them, but this one is special, seems older than the others. I'm used to drink strong stuff, but with this one, a little water help for sure. I have a opened bottle 3/4 full (i'm taking my time with it, not an everyday pour) and one in the bunker. It's still available online here for €90, not too far from retail (retail price in Europe for a ECBP is about €65).

Last night's Whisk(e)y Wednesday lineup - all Loch & K(e)y SiB selections:

Buffalo Trace

Blanton's Barrel #60

Eagle Rare 10yr

Barrel Bourbon #964 8yr

1792FP

Caribou Crossing Canadian Whiskey (4 Grain) - OK, ok not a bourbon!

Kilchoman Massachusetts Retailer's Barrel - Yummy, hammy smoke rind Islay scotch (also not a bourbon, I know).

All tempting, tasty pours.   :D

42 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Last night's Whisk(e)y Wednesday lineup - all Loch & K(e)y SiB selections:

Buffalo Trace

Blanton's Barrel #60

Eagle Rare 10yr

Barrel Bourbon #964 8yr

1792FP

Caribou Crossing Canadian Whiskey (4 Grain) - OK, ok not a bourbon!

Kilchoman Massachusetts Retailer's Barrel - Yummy, hammy smoke rind Islay scotch (also not a bourbon, I know).

All tempting, tasty pours.   :D

Whiskey Wednesday on Thirsty Thursday? Im sure you made up for the mishap.B)

40 minutes ago, Agalloch said:

Whiskey Wednesday on Thirsty Thursday? Im sure you made up for the mishap.B)

Sorry, I wrote the post on Thursday but sent it to SB.com today.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!   B)

I had picked up a couple of bottles of KC Single Barrel, Mammoth Liquors Store Select, Barrel #3094 for Black Tot.  He stopped by last night on his way to the Sampler to pick up his bottles and to bring me the first bottle of W12 I had ever seen in person, much less laid my hands on.  Asked him if he wanted to taste some of Barrel #3094 (I know, dumb question).  We proceeded to the family room to have some of my son's bottle #3094.  That was followed by:

KC Single Barrel Store Select, Packages & More, Bottle #4044.

GTS

SAOS SB Cask Strength

William Heavenhill Small Batch

Michters (from when it was distilled in PA)

Hancocks Presidents Reserve Single Barrel

Willet Family Estate

And even tasted a 24 y.o. rum.

Really enjoyed tasting things that I had never seen or tasted but enjoyed sitting and talking with Black Tot even more.  Huge thanks go out to him, not only for the W12 but for allowing my son and I to taste some really great bourbons.  

Just finished a pour of MMCS PS and it was delicious.  This pick used 4 French Mocha staves and it has a nice full rich flavor.  Going back for 2nds :D

Equal parts MMCS Batch1 and MM46 with three cubes. Watching hockey and finally relaxed.  Thinking OGD 114 next.

OK, followed my MM blend with OGD 114 and finally EWSB 2004 Liquor Outlet Wine Cellars private barrel.  Solid pours.

3 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Just finished a pour of MMCS PS and it was delicious.  This pick used 4 French Mocha staves and it has a nice full rich flavor.  Going back for 2nds :D

I picked up a MM 46 with 5 French Mocha staves.  Love the flavor.  

Cracked a PS KCSB tonight and enjoyed a couple of small pours.  Big, bold, spicy goodness! 

Just bought this today (bourbon batch 11), and my first impression is that it's as good as advertised. Given the very recent hype, that's saying something.

WIN_20170428_233304.JPG

Celebrated a good evening for St. Louis sports with a 2016 4R Small Batch LE pour followed by some PHC Wheat Whiskey.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Some Russell's Reserve with friends, while watching the 6th round of the NFL Draft.
016e6235e220437f97657323836613f8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Enjoying the last dram of my bottle of PVW 20yr I got 5 years ago. Probably no chance in ever getting another bottle in my area .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, opened the newly purchased Barrell Bourbon #11.  Let's see what this is all about.  Distilled in TN, I just hope it doesn't taste like banana juice or vitamins.  I don't know if I've ever had lower expectations for an $80 bottle of bourbon, so I guess this will be win-win.  Nose is nice enough.  Good start.  First sip...  Ok, quite nice indeed.  It does have that nice tingly finish to it.  It tastes familiar but I can't place it quite yet.  I don't drink anything from TN so it's just pure coincidence that it feels familiar.

Edited by dcbt

A little envy71c5e2e6dd7bafcf02a6dacdce1e4db1.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Alright, opened the newly purchased Barrell Bourbon #11.  Let's see what this is all about.  Distilled in TN, I just hope it doesn't taste like banana juice or vitamins.  I don't know if I've ever had lower expectations for an $80 bottle of bourbon, so I guess this will be win-win.  Nose is nice enough.  Good start.  First sip...  Ok, quite nice indeed.  It does have that nice tingly finish to it.  It tastes familiar but I can't place it quite yet.  I don't drink anything from TN so it's just pure coincidence that it feels familiar.

I'm a big fan of the barrell bourbons, having tried every batch since batch 7. I hear 6 is great but I missed that one. Batch 9 is the best one I've tried, batch 11 is good too. All of them are individually unique.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:19 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

How is that...total wine pushes that hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it. Easy drinking

Holed up in a hotel tonight, and didn't have high expectations.

Man, was I wrong.

Full lineup if BTAC, and VW, sadly not at prices I was willing to pony up for.

But, I did spring for some ETL at a decent price, and a PHC 24yr.

Parker was very good. Could taste a deep family resemblance to EC18.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50/50 blend of rare breed (112.8) and russels reseve 10. Basically blends down to right around 101 but much more robust vs normal WT101 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.