What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was last night, but had some Russell's Reserve 10 year and Henry McKenna 10 year.  The post above about the GTS has me drooling right now.

Store pick KCSB. The store's notes said "This bottle had a very light nose. Upon first smell, I immediately thought I like #W better. The Flavor really sets this one apart, Extremely light and delicate, the vanilla and spices really come through beautifully. You would think a light bodied whiskey could not cover up the cask strength alcohol, but you are wrong. A terrific bottle. Given this blind, I don’t think I could pick it as Knob Creek, the style is so different which is it’s only flaw." I would agree every part of that except for the flaw part. This is a fantastic pour without all the heat and peanuts you typically get with KCSB. It is definitely delicate with a lot of vanilla on the initial taste. Finish had a nice spicy tingle.

20170610_161232-756x1008.jpg

I haven't gone back to this one in well over a year. It's much better than the single barrel, but still needs a couple more years (maybe more than a couple) in the barrel.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Store pick KCSB. The store's notes said "This bottle had a very light nose. Upon first smell, I immediately thought I like #W better. The Flavor really sets this one apart, Extremely light and delicate, the vanilla and spices really come through beautifully. You would think a light bodied whiskey could not cover up the cask strength alcohol, but you are wrong. A terrific bottle. Given this blind, I don’t think I could pick it as Knob Creek, the style is so different which is it’s only flaw." I would agree every part of that except for the flaw part. This is a fantastic pour without all the heat and peanuts you typically get with KCSB. It is definitely delicate with a lot of vanilla on the initial taste. Finish had a nice spicy tingle.

20170610_161232-756x1008.jpg

I am a big fan of KCSB store selects.  Primarily, because as store selects you can try them first.  However, I have never met one I didn't like.  In fact, I have never met a KCSB that I didn't like. 

17 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am a big fan of KCSB store selects.  Primarily, because as store selects you can try them first.  However, I have never met one I didn't like.  In fact, I have never met a KCSB that I didn't like. 

I didn't ask to try it first so not sure if it was possible or not. You had to sign up to be on the waiting list for it to even purchase it. 

I didn't ask to try it first so not sure if it was possible or not. You had to sign up to be on the waiting list for it to even purchase it. 

There's a waiting list for KCSB?

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I haven't gone back to this one in well over a year. It's much better than the single barrel, but still needs a couple more years (maybe more than a couple) in the barrel.

image.jpeg

Actually, this whiskey needs a LOT of something to make it anywhere near palatable.  

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Actually, this whiskey needs a LOT of something to make it anywhere near palatable.  

Fair enough. How do you think the Cowboy Bourbon compares to their standard offerings?

6 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Fair enough. How do you think the Cowboy Bourbon compares to their standard offerings?

Not spittable.

48 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

There's a waiting list for KCSB?

For their store picks...yes there is a list. They picked 2 differeent barrels. Maybe after all those on the list get bottles it will go out for general purchase.

Four Roses Single Barrel with my neighbor.
b29134077de23700d23eb8189ddf2c0e.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gold Vein Weller 107 from the early 80's (guesstimate).

Buddy of mine found it in his uncles basement.

Smells really good....tastes.....Hmm.....interesting.

I'll leave it at that.

:)

IMAG2079.jpg

6 hours ago, DeepCover said:

image.jpeg

Would that be Walt Garrison, formerly of the Cowboys?

image.thumb.jpeg.bfeca149618762f82d34339922947baa.jpeg

That's disappointing I wonder why Jim Murray and others give this so much love.

6 hours ago, DCFan said:

I'd buy it if it was made by the Skoal man

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

No, it's not.  Dan Garrison is the master distiller.

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

That's disappointing I wonder why Jim Murray and others give this so much love.

I'm really not sure. There are better options, craft or otherwise. I'd like to see Garrison Bros. smooth out the rough edges on all their offerings. It's really corn forward and the only sweetness you get is black licorice. I wouldn't guess it's a wheater.

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I'm really not sure. There are better options, craft or otherwise. I'd like to see Garrison Bros. smooth out the rough edges on all their offerings. It's really corn forward and the only sweetness you get is black licorice. I wouldn't guess it's a wheater.

Most Texas bourbons are very corn forward for whatever reason.  I don't get it.  I was also surprised to learn GB is a wheater, but it makes sense since rye can't grow here and some of these places try to use only Texas ingredients (TX Bourbon is also a wheater, eg).  But I agree GB is just too rough around the edges and one dimensional. 

That is great whiskey.  Not to mention, beautiful packaging.  Sounds like it has been open awhile?  

Enjoying a pour of ECBP with a small bit of water while watching the local PGA golf tournament. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sipping some Henry MK 10yo, great bang for your buck. 

Cheers!

Will.

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

Most Texas bourbons are very corn forward for whatever reason.  I don't get it.  I was also surprised to learn GB is a wheater, but it makes sense since rye can't grow here and some of these places try to use only Texas ingredients (TX Bourbon is also a wheater, eg).  But I agree GB is just too rough around the edges and one dimensional. 

I couldn't agree more. You have Ranger Creek that's just as corn forward and also has a soy sauce flavor, and TX Bourbon that's corn forward with a moist cardboard flavor. The corn hits you first and then it continues to fall off from there.

Like you said, they pride themselves on TX ingredients, but it's really at their own peril. But even GB doesn't get their barley from TX. I say find the right grains and mashbill and not worry about how much of the grains come from TX. The ones I've named are distilling in TX, and that's TX enough for me. 

There's something in the process/profile the distilleries in TX are missing (expertise, grains, water, cooperage, aging, climate, etc.). It doesn't have me falling all over myself to try more. I like supporting the home team and all, but I like drinking good bourbon even more.

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

Gold Vein Weller 107 from the early 80's (guesstimate).

Buddy of mine found it in his uncles basement.

Smells really good....tastes.....Hmm.....interesting.

I'll leave it at that.

:)

IMAG2079.jpg

What an awesome find. I keep hoping to come across something hidden away like that but never do. 

Picked this up today for $53 which is minimum $10 cheaper than anywhere else near me. It's truly one of the best first sips I've had. Ironically the last bottle to give me this impression was Old Forester 1920!  Way to go Brown and Forman!

IMG_0088.JPG

Finishing off the  last of a BRL MM46 CS while grilling and waiting for the rest kids to come over.  I would probably pick up another it were still available. We will probably break something else out while waiting for the U.S.-Mexico match to start.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.