What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Standing in line for the 1792 225th Anniversary. I'm 13th, which means they probably only have 12 bottles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

Good luck. That's one that I would have been interested in, but I think it's KY only. 

Picked up my 1st bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB today. It's pretty good stuff. Not as spicy as I was expecting. In fact while it's still on my tongue I couldn't help but be reminded of some pretty good aged rums I've had. I get that almost banana/coconut/islandy/brown sugar sweetness. After the swallow it's all bourbon/rye whiskey flavor.  For fun I mixed some Old Ezra and the RR about 50/50. That turned out pretty darned good IMO. Smoothed out the rough edges of each and filled in some gaps.  Any of you experienced a similar "rumlike" taste while it's still floating over your tongue with Rittenhouse?

Edited by JPK

Picked up a couple of twins yesterday. I think the bottle switch, lower proof in the last two batches and negative reviews of the last batch (at least when compared to prior batches) dampened the enthusiasm for the B517. These lingered in stock at ABC stores for several days when prior batches sold out in less than a day. To me, it's still a 12 year 124 proof whiskey in a brand that's knocked it out of the park 13/14 times and I like the A117 just fine. Easily worth taking a $65 plus tax 'chance' on this. I probably won't open for a while and would love to get someone's impression on it. I posted in the ECBP Premium forum thread this morning looking for notes but nothing yet. 

IMG_2950.JPG

I picked up these 2 barrell selects yesterday. The MM is a completely different animal than the original and the 46. 

IMG_3941.JPG

Picked up several staples today: WTRB, HMcK10, WR, and WT81 (needed a mixer for people who want such a thing; realized awhile ago I didn't really have anything cheap and low proof).  Also picked up a Johnny Drum black label for a fellow SBer.  And I pulled the trigger on WTMK Decades at $120.  Lastly, a Bowman SiB for my dad for Father's Day coming up.

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Picked up a couple of twins yesterday. I think the bottle switch, lower proof in the last two batches and negative reviews of the last batch (at least when compared to prior batches) dampened the enthusiasm for the B517. These lingered in stock at ABC stores for several days when prior batches sold out in less than a day. To me, it's still a 12 year 124 proof whiskey in a brand that's knocked it out of the park 13/14 times and I like the A117 just fine. Easily worth taking a $65 plus tax 'chance' on this. I probably won't open for a while and would love to get someone's impression on it. I posted in the ECBP Premium forum thread this morning looking for notes but nothing yet. 

IMG_2950.JPG

Charlie, you're the one with 2 bottles.  Why don't you help the rest of us out by giving us your impression?

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Charlie, you're the one with 2 bottles.  Why don't you help the rest of us out by giving us your impression?

Yeah I know I know. I've got 3/4 of a bottle of A117 open and three more of those stashed so I was hoping someone else had tried it. I'm sure curiosity will get the better of me!

5 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Yeah I know I know. I've got 3/4 of a bottle of A117 open and three more of those stashed so I was hoping someone else had tried it. I'm sure curiosity will get the better of me!

They really are designed for drinkin' my friend.  :lol:  

I had stayed away from WT 101.  This was after I got some that tasted under aged to me.  Anyway, fellow SBers have said it's good again, and a store had a deal price $16.99.  I was not disappointed.  It reminds me of some other high rye bourbons, and a nice spice cake aftertaste.

I also picked up: regular MM, Larceny, and 4R yellow label.

I need to have some things to help keep the bunker safe.

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I wouldn't worry about availability... I think the label change of the EC12 freed up a lot of stock. Minnesota has a lot of ECBP sitting on the shelves.

23 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Good luck. That's one that I would have been interested in, but I think it's KY only. 

Yes it was a Kentucky only distribution.  I was able to pick one up and then called my son and he got one before they ran out.  It is a 10 yr (maybe) single barrel that was bottled at 92.15 proof.  The 92 is for 1792, the year KY became a state and the .15 is because we were the 15th state in the union.

Haven't had a chance to taste it yet as we were at Churchill Downs all day and then at the U of L vs. Oklahoma baseball game last night 11-1 win for the Card's and today I'm prepping for a colonoscopy (OH JOY!) so no alcohol today.

I finished a 1792SW yesterday and grabbed another bottle for $36 plus tax, net of a 10% coupon. There were a few on shelf and 1 per customer limit. I like it well enough and $36 in today's market was pretty good I thought. 

Picked up another ECBP A117 for the bunker. Haven't seen B517 yet.  They had a bunch of Stagg Jr. at the same price ($69.99) that I passed on. I can still find it at $50 But ECBP is always at least $65. Same place had a ton of Blanton's as well. $80!

Shopping in Miami (mostly for older scotch after some previous luck), and just couldn't leave this oddity behind!  A HW American Prairie Bourbon (which I enjoy), but the iridescent look of the bottle was really intriguing!  I'd seen a slight iridescent look to some of their bottles before, but this almost looked chromed at first in the store.  I'm glad it did - as its a private barrel at 104.2 proof that spent 1.4 years finished in blended malt scotch whiskey.  I'm not sure what to even anticipate with the whiskey, but look forward to finding out when I get home!

IMG_20170604_194825.thumb.jpg.5ed15cd20cf16a796c4c6660d3a4bbd7.jpg

Found a Store Pick Blanton's today. I know have BLANNS corks. Two more to go!  They let me taste it and it's a very good. Somewhat overpriced at $66 but it's good enough I couldn't pass it up. 

IMG_0086.JPG

Returned from NC. Picked up a Barrell Bourbon batch 11, Few bourbon, and 4 bottles of Virgin Bourbon (one for a fellow SB'er). I really love that Virgin Bourbon and think if I had to pick a good daily pour, it would be my favorite. Nice that it's also only $14, not so nice that I can only ever find it in NC (or rarely in VA).

IMG_5017.JPG

Found some Elmer T Lee at $35. I've had it before at a bar and liked it, but as a single barrel I know it can vary. I bought one, tried it, liked it a lot and so went back in and bought one more. There were a few still sitting on the shelf when I left.

Yes! Yes! Yes! It's been several years since I've been able to buy a bottle of one of my favorites: Very Special Old Fitzgerald. The downside is that it cost way more than I used to pay.

195a8eb96b27920e02beaca6ac4f7322.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! It's been several years since I've been able to buy a bottle of one of my favorites: Very Special Old Fitzgerald. The downside is that it cost way more than I used to pay.

195a8eb96b27920e02beaca6ac4f7322.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Great find!

5 hours ago, GaryT said:

Shopping in Miami (mostly for older scotch after some previous luck), and just couldn't leave this oddity behind!  A HW American Prairie Bourbon (which I enjoy), but the iridescent look of the bottle was really intriguing!  I'd seen a slight iridescent look to some of their bottles before, but this almost looked chromed at first in the store.  I'm glad it did - as its a private barrel at 104.2 proof that spent 1.4 years finished in blended malt scotch whiskey.  I'm not sure what to even anticipate with the whiskey, but look forward to finding out when I get home!

IMG_20170604_194825.thumb.jpg.5ed15cd20cf16a796c4c6660d3a4bbd7.jpg

Well THAT is interesting.

Look forward to hearing about this one when you open it.

I picked up a bottle of ECBP batch 11 139.4 proof.

It had been languishing in my local at 89$ (ouch) for a while.

I decided since this batch was a major favorite of mine the last couple years to go ahead and grab the last bottle, having just finished one recently. In a SBS with others and most notably an older BTAC GTStagg I believed it faired right at/near top honors for nose, body, complexity and flavor. Yum

Money's cheap, great booze is priceless!  :D

I picked up a bottle of ECBP batch 11 139.4 proof.

It had been languishing in my local at 89$ (ouch) for a while

Money's cheap, great booze is priceless!  [emoji3]

Not sure I agree with the "Money's cheap" part, but I get your point! Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.