What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm enjoying a vey delicious 11y5mo old FR OBSO that was bottled a couple years ago. Spice, fruit, and brown sugar in equal measure.

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

I'm enjoying a vey delicious 11y5mo old FR OBSO that was bottled a couple years ago. Spice, fruit, and brown sugar in equal measure.

The cult approves of this beverage choice. 

Last night I went back to a bottle of barrel proof, store select 1792. It was delicious.

I am calling later this morning to see if there are any more on the shelf (limit was 1 when I bought it).

10 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Looking really good!

It tasted even better! I have 2 of Batch 6 (140.2) left in the bunker. That is some of the best whiskey ever produced! I would sip that one real slow.

Cheers,

Jeff

5 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

It tasted even better! I have 2 of Batch 6 (140.2) left in the bunker. That is some of the best whiskey ever produced! I would sip that one real slow.

Cheers,

Jeff

I still have another bottle as well.

Summer's wrapping up, but I keep getting busier... finished the porch ceiling project, and now we're prepping my 95-year-old house for painting, uncovering all kinds of interesting things as we replace trim wood for the first full external painting in at least 25 years.  Old-style stucco doesn't need as much painting as the trim wood, but both have been long neglected.  Everything must be completely done in time for baby arrival, our first child, due right on Thanksgiving week.

Summary of this summer:  Larceny on rocks on hot days, Knob Creek regular 9-year on rocks on cooler days, and now that it's started occasionally feeling like fall, I opened up a bottle of OGD114.  Also, some WTKS I picked up on my way up to Acadia National Park in Maine, where I spent a week camping with family; the current WTKS isn't much like what it was 15 years ago, but it's not a bad bourbon at all. 

Over all, all good!

Edited by Kalessin

4RSB, 52.6%, warehouse RN, barrel 82-1U.

Very nice overall; very cherry fruit forward flavor, similar to the maraschino cherry I get in the Jack Daniels Holiday Select that I like. Somewhat quicker finish than the bottles I've had in the past, but then it's been a few years since since I've tried it, and this being a single barrel of course there's more variation. Maybe not quite as stellar as the bottles I've had in the past, but still better than most super premium bourbons in this price range (I paid about $55). Again, quite good for the price. My only quip is that at only slightly higher proof than the WT101, RY10 SB, etc., it was noticeably more spirity on my palate.

Edited by BourbonDude

^^^^^Not sure which recipe that is, but whether it's a B or E...the extra 'kick on the palate' is probably due to the higher rye content (in comparison to the others mentioned). 

Having a blend of Whoop & Holler and Barrell batch 8b (about 50/50). I didn't like batch 8b as much as batch 8, so I thought I would try this and ( ding ding ding ding) we have a winner. Not bad. 

IMG_2085.thumb.JPG.e60fab61542cfaadc7134e264fed1232.JPG

A blind sbsbs with 3 previously opened bottles. Also, I've only tried the Blanton SFTB once and the Stagg Jr tree times, so I consider this very unbiased. I ranked them: 

1. Blanton's SFTB

2. Stagg Jr

3. EC BP

I'll definitely be searching for more sun $50 SJR

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

20 hours ago, Kpiz said:

That sounds simply divine!

7 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

A blind sbsbs with 3 previously opened bottles. Also, I've only tried the Blanton SFTB once and the Stagg Jr tree times, so I consider this very unbiased. I ranked them: 

1. Blanton's SFTB

2. Stagg Jr

3. EC BP

IMG_4075.JPG

That looks like a fun comparison.  I probably would have put SFTB last though.  I keep trying it (different barrels) and its just not my thing.

27 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

1. Blanton's SFTB

2. Stagg Jr

3. EC BP

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

I don't have any SFTB but I have tried SJR and ECBP sbs. ECBP usually comes out on top for me...especially the 136 proof batch 12 you have pictured. I think that one is the best of all the ECBPs I've tried. The SJR is no slouch though and a close second.

Poured a glass of ECBP A117 to relax while watching some college football. Hell yeah it is that time of the year!

34 minutes ago, 0895 said:

That looks like a fun comparison.  I probably would have put SFTB last though.  I keep trying it (different barrels) and its just not my thing.

Are you putting water in it? It's a lot better that way IMO. I proof it down to ~110.

7 hours ago, Kalessin said:

Also, some WTKS I picked up on my way up to Acadia National Park in Maine, where I spent a week camping with family; the current WTKS isn't much like what it was 15 years ago, but it's not a bad bourbon at all. 

yea, tonight I'm sipping some WTKS from few years ago and lamenting not as good as old stuff.  I've done a side-by-side with this and a bottle from about 2006(?).  The older bottle was stunning, the newer is just good

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, The Black Tot said:

That was a good series from Spec's!

Yes it was. The OBSO is my favorite of the ones I bought in that series. Hope they get all 10 again. 

52 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Are you putting water in it? It's a lot better that way IMO. I proof it down to ~110.

I don't think so.  I honestly can't remember.

I'll definitely remember your advice for next time though.

I know I saved one bottle of it around here somewhere. :)

I couldn't think of a special reason, but I said F it and went back to see this very special representation of the cult. It had been way too long since we spent meaningful time together. FRLESmB 2015. I love it. 

IMG_3164.JPG

Enjoying a 4RSB PS OBSV that is just heavenly. I've bunkered several of these already, but I'm going to have to pick up some more of these before they are gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.